Reconstructed drought variability in southeastern Sweden since the 1650s
Version of Record online: 13 SEP 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 11, pages 2449–2458, September 2013
How to Cite
Seftigen, K., Linderholm, H. W., Drobyshev, I. and Niklasson, M. (2013), Reconstructed drought variability in southeastern Sweden since the 1650s. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 2449–2458. doi: 10.1002/joc.3592
- Issue online: 28 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 13 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 14 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 JUL 2011
- 2007. Europe. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Parry ML, Canziani OF, Palutikof JP, van der Linden PJ, Hanson CE (eds.), Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 541–580. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. DENDROCLIM2002: a C + + program for statistical calibration of climate signals in tree-ring chronologies. Computer and Geosciences 30: 303–311. , .
- 2002. Stochastic modeling of regime shifts. Climate Research 23: 23–30. , , .
- 2011. A closer look at Regional Curve Standardisation of tree-ring records: justification of the need, a warning of some pitfalls, and suggested improvements in its application. In Dendroclimatology: Progress and Prospects, Hughes MK, Diaz HF, Swetnam TW (eds)., Springer Verlag: Dordrecht, 113–145. , .
- 2001. Low-frequency temperature variations from a northern tree ring density network. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: 2929–2941. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Tree-ring width and density data around the northern hemisphere. Part 1. Local and regional signals. The Holocene 12: 737–757. , , , , , .
- 1988. Locally weighted regression: an approach to regression analysis by local fitting. Journal of the American Statistical Association 83: 596–610. , .
- 1985. A Time Series Analysis Approach to Tree-Ring Standardization, PhD Dissertation, University of Arizona. .
- 2007. Program ARSTAN Ver. ARS41d. Available at www.ldeo.columbia.edu/tree-ring-laboratory. [Accessed on June 30, 2010]. , , , .
- 2000. Ecological hazards of oceanic environment. New Phytologist 147: 257–281. .
- 2006. Extension of drought for central Asia using tree rings: west-central Mongolia. Journal of Climate 19: 288–299. , , , .
- 2008. A tree-ring based drought index reconstruction for far-western Mongolia: 1565–2004. International Journal of Climatology 29: 1508–1514, DOI: 10.1002/joc. , , , , , .
- 1981. Statistisk analys av nederbördsdata, Del III, 200-åriga nederbödsserier. SMHI rapporter. Meteorologi och klimatologi, Sveriges Meteorologiska och Hydrologiska Institut, Norrköping. .
- 2004. The 2003 European summer heatwaves and drought—synoptic diagnosis and impacts. Weather 59: 209–216. , , , , , .
- 2009. The Summer North Atlantic Oscillation: past, present and future. Journal of Climate 22: 1082–1103. , , , , , .
- 2001. Tree Rings and Climate. Blackburn Press: Caldwell, NJ. .
- 1982. Verification of dendroclimatic reconstructions. In Climate from tree rings, Hughes MK, Kelly PM, Pilcher JR, LaMarche VC, Jr (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 58–61. .
- 2002. A 7400-year tree-ring chronology in northern Swedish Lapland: natural climate variability expressed on annual to millennial time scales. The Holocene 12: 657–665. , , , , , .
- 2002. Low-frequency summer temperature variation in central Sweden since the tenth century inferred from tree rings. The Holocene 12: 667–671. , .
- 2000. Temperature and precipitation variations in Norway 1900–1994 and their links to atmospheric circulation. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1693–1708. , .
- 2003. Droughts and rainfall in south-eastern Finland since AD 874, inferred from Scots pine ring-widths. Boreal Environmental Research 8: 171–183. , .
- 2009. Multicentennial megadrought in northern Europe coincided with a global El Nino-Southern Oscillation drought pattern during the Medieval Climate Anomaly. Geology 37: 175–178. , , .
- 1983. Computer-assisted quality control in tree-ring dating and measurement. Tree-ring Bulletin 43: 69–78. .
- 1977. Site index estimation by means of site properties, Scots pine and Norway spruce in Sweden. Studia Forestalia Suecicae 183: 1–33. , .
- ITRDB. 2005. Contributors of the International Tree-Ring Data Bank, IGBP PAGES/World Data Center for Paleoclimatology, NOAA/NCDC Paleoclimatology Program, Boulder, Colorado, USA. Available at http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/treering.html. [Accessed on June 30, 2010].
- 2009. Regionalisation of the precipitation pattern in the Baltic sea drainage basin and its dependence on large-scale atmospheric circulation. Boreal Environment Research 14: 31–44. .
- 2004. Climate over past millennia. Reviews of Geophysics 42(2): 1–42, DOI: 10.1029/2003RG000143. , .
- 2009. Scots Pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) on shingle fields: a dendrochronologic reconstruction of early summer precipitation in mideast Sweden. Journal of Climate 22: 4710–4722, DOI: 10.1175/2009JCLI2401.1S. , .
- 1997. Effects of climate on the growth of Scots pine in the Saimaa lake district, south-eastern Finland, in the southern part of the boreal forest belt. Dendrochronologia 15: 151–168. , , , , .
- 2000. Climatic signals extracted from ring-width chronologies of Scots pines from the northern, middle and southern parts of the boreal forest belt in Finland. Silva Fennica 34(4): 317–330. , , , , , .
- 2005. Early nineteenth century drought in east central Sweden inferred from dendrochronological and historical archives. Climate research 29: 63–72. , .
- 2002. Peatland pines as climate indicators?—a regional comparison of the climatic influence on Scots pine growth in Sweden. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32(8): 1400–1410. , , .
- 2003. Tree-ring records from central Fennoscandia: the relationship between tree growth and climate along a westeast transect. The Holocene 13: 889–897. , , .
- 2004. Summer moisture variability in east central Sweden since the mid-eighteenth century recorded in tree rings. Geografiska Annaler 86: 277–287. , , .
- 2001. The Late Maunder Minimum (1675–1715): a key period for studying decadal scale climatic change in Europe. Climatic Change 49: 441–462. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Reconstruction of sea level pressure fields over the eastern north Atlantic and Europe back to 1500. Climate Dynamics 18: 545–561. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. The relationship of drought frequency and duration to time scales. Eighth Conference on Applied Climatology, American Meteorological Society: Anaheim, CA, 179–184. , , .
- 2005. An improved method of constructing a database of monthly climate observations and associated high-resolution grids. International Journal of Climatology 25: 693–712. , .
- National Research Council. 2006. Surface Temperature Reconstructions for the Last 2,000 Years. The National Academies Press: Washington, DC, 160 pp.
- 1997. Adjusting variance for sample-size in tree-ring chronologies and other regional-mean time-series. Dendrochronologia 15: 89–99. , , .
- 2004. The Swedish Regional Climate Modelling Programme, SWECLIM: a review. Ambio 33: 176–182. , , , , .
- 1996. 'Tree-Ring Density Networks for Climate Reconstruction. In Climate Variations and Forcing Mechanisms of the Last 2000 Years, Jones, PD, Bradley RS, Jouzel, J (eds). Springer: Berlin, 43–66. , .
- 1993. A tree-ring densitometric transect from Alaska to Labrador: comparison of ring-width and maximum-latewood-density chronologies in the conifer belt of northern North America. International Journal of Biometeorology 37: 151–169. , , .
- 1965. Forest regions. Acta Phytogeographica Suecica 50: 48–63. .
- 1968. An Introduction to Tree-Ring Dating. University of Chicago Press: Chicago. , .
- 2005. Standardized precipitation index reconstructed from Turkish tree-ring widths. Climatic Change 72: 339–353. , , , .
- 2007. May–June precipitation reconstruction of southwestern Anatolia, Turkey during the last 900 years from tree rings. Quaternary Research 68: 196–202. , , , .
- 2008. Precipitation reconstruction for Northwestern Tunisia from tree rings. Journal of Arid Environments 72: 1887–1896. , , .
- 1984. On the average value of correlated time series, with applications in dendroclimatology and hydrometeorology. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 23: 201–213. , , .