Winter daily precipitation variability over the East Anglian region of Great Britain and its relationship with river flow
Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 9, pages 2215–2231, July 2013
How to Cite
Smith, M. J. and Phillips, I. D. (2013), Winter daily precipitation variability over the East Anglian region of Great Britain and its relationship with river flow. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 2215–2231. doi: 10.1002/joc.3594
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 4 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 MAY 2011
- 2000. Rainfall-Runoff Modelling: The Primer. Wiley: Chichester, 360 pp. .
- 1949. British weather and continentality. Weather 4: 189–191. .
- 1992. Atmospheric circulation and daily precipitation in Wales. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 46: 3–25. , .
- 2004. Techniques for assessing the climatic sensitivity of river flow regimes. Hydrological Processes 18: 2515–2543. , , .
- Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH). 2009. Hydrological Variability 1961–97, Retrieved December 14, 2009. Available at http://www.nerc-wallingford.ac.uk/ih/nrfa/hydrological_trends/hydrological_var61.htm.
- 2009. Variabilities of the spring river runoff system in East China and their relations to precipitation and sea surface temperature. International Journal of Climatology 29: 1381–1394. , , , .
- 1992. A First Course in Factor Analysis, 2nd edn. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates: Hillsdale, 430 pp. , .
- 1993. Recent fluctuations in precipitation and runoff over the Nile sub-basins and their impact on main Nile discharge. Climatic Change 25: 127–151. , .
- 1986. Statistics and Data Analysis in Geology, 2nd edn. Wiley: Chichester, 646 pp. .
- 2000. Global characteristics of stream flow seasonality and variability. Journal of Hydrometeorology 1: 289–310. , .
- 2005.. Discovering Statistics Using SPSS, 2nd edn. SAGE: London, 779 pp. .
- 1987. Weather Patterns of East Anglia. Terence Dalton Limited: Lavenham. .
- 2003. The Drainage of the Fens, 2nd edn. Landmark Publishing Ltd.: London. .
- 2001. An integrated assessment of long-term changes in the hydrology of three lowland rivers in eastern England. Journal of Environmental Management 61: 195–214. , , , .
- 2002. Principal Component Analysis, 2nd edn. Springer-Verlag: New York, 271 pp. .
- 2007. Mechanisms for the land/sea warming contrast exhibited by simulations of climate change. Climate Dynamics 30: 455–465. , , , , .
- 2010. Modification of climate-river flow associations by basin properties. Journal of Hydrology 389: 186–204. , .
- 1972.. British Isles weather types and a register of the daily sequence of circulation patterns, 1861–1971. Geophysical Memoir, Vol. 116. HMSO: London, 85 pp. .
- 2008. United Kingdom daily precipitation intensity: improved early data, error estimates and an update from 2000 to 2006. International Journal of Climatology 28(6): 833–842. , , .
- Met Office. 2009. Eastern England: Climate, Retrieved April 5, 2009. Available at http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ee/.
- 2008. Regional impact assessment of flooding under future climate and socio-economic scenarios for East Anglia and North West England. Climatic Change 90: 31–55. , , , , , .
- 2009. Summer daily precipitation variability over the East Anglian region of Great Britain. International Journal of Climatology 29: 1661–1679. , .
- 2007. Winter daily precipitation variability over the South West peninsula of England. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 87: 103–122. , .
- 2003. Regional climate and atmospheric circulation controls on the discharge of two British rivers 1974–97. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 76: 141–164. , , , , .
- 1994. Estimation of probable maximum precipitation for a 2 day duration: Part 2—North Indian region. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 49: 77–84. , .
- 2002. Decadal variability of the Danube river flow in the Lower Basin and its relation with the North Atlantic Oscillation. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1169–1179. , , , .
- 1994. Sea Breeze and Local Winds. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 234 pp. .
- 1983. Circulation type and spatial distribution of precipitation over Central, Eastern and Southern England. Weather 38: 173–177 and 200–205. .
- 1988. Precipitation: Process and Analysis. John Wiley and Sons: Chichester, 455 pp. .
- 2002. Dependence between extreme sea surge, river flow and precipitation in eastern Britain. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1149–1168. , .
- 2001. Using Multivariate Statistics, 4th edn. Allyn and Bacon: Boston and London, 966 pp. , .
- 2000. Principles of Hydrology, 4th edn. McGraw-Hill: London, 450 pp. , .