Spatial and temporal variations in air temperature and precipitation in the Chinese Himalayas during the 1971–2007
Version of Record online: 1 NOV 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 12, pages 2622–2632, October 2013
How to Cite
Yang, J., Tan, C. and Zhang, T. (2013), Spatial and temporal variations in air temperature and precipitation in the Chinese Himalayas during the 1971–2007. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 2622–2632. doi: 10.1002/joc.3609
- Issue online: 7 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 1 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 30 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 AUG 2011
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 41271088
- State Key Laboratory of Cryospheric Science. Grant Number: SKLCS-ZZ-2008-04
- 1997. Climatic and hydrologic changes in the Tien Shan, central Asia. Journal of Climate 10: 1393–1404. , , , .
- 2004. Spatial and temporal variations in precipitation in the upper Indus Basin, global teleconnections and hydrological implications. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 8(1): 47–61. , .
- 1994. Himalayan water resources: ecological and political aspects of management. Mountain Research and Development 14(1): 1–24. , .
- 2005. Potential impacts of a warming climate on water availability in a snow-dominated region. Nature 438(17): 303–309. , , .
- 2009. Analysis of historical changes in rainfall in the Indian Himalayas. International Journal of Climatology 29: 555–572, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1706. , , .
- 2007. Long-term trends in maximum, minimum and mean annual air temperatures across the North-western Himalaya during the twentieth century. Climatic Change 85(1–2): 159–177. , , .
- 2006. Climate variation feature and its effect on environment change in central Tibet from 1961 to 2000. Journal of Applied Meteorology Science 17(2): 169–175(in Chinese). , .
- 2001. Long-term climate variability over monsoon Asia as revealed by some proxy sources. Mausam 52(1): 9–22. , .
- 2001. An introduction to climate, hydrology and landslide hazards in the Hindu Kush-Himalayan region. In Landslide Hazard Mitigation in the Hindu Kush-Himalayas, Tianchi L, Chalise SR, Upreti BN (eds). ICIMOD: Kathmandu; 51–62. , .
- 2004. Glacial lakes variation and the potentially dangerous glacial lakes in the Pumqu basin of Tibet during the last two decades. Journal of Glaciology and Geocryology 26: 397–402(in Chinese). , , , .
- 2003. Dendroclimatic signals in long tree-ring chronologies from the Himalayas of Nepal. International Journal of Climatology 23: 707–732. , , .
- 2007. Some evidence of climate change in twentieth-century India. Climatic Change 85(3–4): 299–321. , , , .
- 2010. Winter temperature and precipitation trends in the Siachen Glacier. Current Science 98(12): 1620–1625. , .
- 2012. Wintertime climatic trends in the western Himalayas. Climatic Change 111(3–4): 775–800. , .
- 2001. Change of temperature in Tibetan Plateau from 1961 to 2000. Acta Geographical Sinica 56(6): 682–690(in Chinese). .
- 2004. Climatic trend of rainfall over Tibetan Plateau from 1971 to 2000. Acta Geographical Sinica 59(3): 375–382(in Chinese). , .
- 2000. Analysis on the climatic characteristics of temperature variation in Tibet during the past forty years. Quarterly Journal of Applied Meteorology 11(2): 221–227(in Chinese). , , .
- 2004. Mutual influence between human activities and climate change in the tibetan plateau during recent years. Global and Planetary Change 41: 241–249. , , , , .
- 2003. Monsoon variability in the Himalayas under the condition of Global Warming. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 81(2): 251–257. , .
- 2000. An analysis of climatic variability in Rikaze from 1956 to 1997. Meteorological Monthly 26(1): 46–50(in Chinese). , .
- 1998. New evidences on that Qinghai–Xizang Plateau is the source region of climatic variation in China. Chinese Science Bulletin 43(6): 633–636(in Chinese). , , .
- 2006. Conflicting signals of climatic change in the upper Indus basin. Journal of Climate 19(17): 4276–4293. , .
- 2005. Climate change and variability using European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts reanalysis (ERA-40) temperatures on the Tibetan Plateau. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: D02101, DOI: 10.1029/2004JD005230. , , .
- 2003. Climate change due to greenhouse effects in Qinghai–Xizang Plateau and along the Qianghai–Tibet Railway. Plateau Meteorology 22: 458–463(in Chinese). , , , .
- 2005. The Karakoram anomaly? Glacier expansion and the ‘Elevation Effect,’ Karakoram Himalaya. Mountain Research and Development 25(4): 332–340. .
- 2006. Floods in Bangladesh: history, dynamics and rethinking the role of the Himalayas. United Nations University Press: New York. , .
- 2011. Trends in temperature, diurnal temperature range and sunshine duration in Northeast India. International Journal of Climatology 31(9): 1353–1367. , .
- 2010. Prediction of annual reference evapotranspiration using climatic data. Agricultural Water Management 97: 300–308. , , , .
- 2000. Climatic warming in the Tibetan Plateau during recent decades. International Journal of Climatology 20(14): 1729–1742. , .
- 2005. Glacier variations since the early 20th century in the Gangrigabu Range, southeast Tibetan Plateau. Journal of Glaciology and Geocryology 27: 55–63(in Chinese). , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Global surface temperatures over the past two millennia. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 1820, DOI: 10.1029/2003GL017814. , .
- 2002. Glacier inventory of China XI and XII — The Ganga Drainage Basin and Indus River Drainage Basin. Xi'an Cartographic Publishing House: Xi'an, 1–572. , , , , , .
- 2004. The Characteristics of climate change over the Tibetan Plateau in the last 40 years and the detection of climatic jumps. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 21: 193–203. , , .
- 1999. Climate and its long-term variability over the western Himalaya during the past two centuries. In The Himalayan Environment, Dash SK, Bahadur J (eds). New Age International (P) Ltd., Publishers: New Delhi; 171–184. , , .
- 2012. Role of policy and institutions in local adaptation to climate change:case studies on responses to too much and too little water in the Hindu Kush Himalayas. International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Kathmandu, Nepal. , , , , .
- 2006. Regional differences in response of flow in glacier-fed Himalayan rivers to climate warming. Hydrological Processes 20: 2157–2167. , .
- 2004. Glacier variations and climate warming and drying in the central Himalayas. Chinese Science Bulletin 49: 65–69. , , , , , .
- 2007. Rainfall trends in arid and semi-arid regions of Iran. Journal of Arid Environments 70: 344–355. , .
- 2009. Hydroclimatic trend detection in a rapidly urbanizing semi-arid and coastal river basin. Journal of Hydrology 367: 217–227. , .
- 2009. Streamflow trends in Indiana: effects of long term persistence, precipitation and subsurface drains. Journal of Hydrology 374: 171–183. , , , .
- 1984. International comparison of national precipitation gauges with a reference pit gauge, WMO Instrument and Observing Methods Report No.17, WMO, 111. and .
- 2006. The Climate changing trend and prediction in northwest Tibet represented by the Shiquan River meteorological station. Journal of Lanzhou University 42(6): 27–30(in Chinese). , , , .
- 1999. Maximum temperature trends in the Himalaya and its vicinity: an analysis based on temperature records from Nepal for the period 1971–94. Journal of Climate 12: 2775–2787. , , , .
- 2000. Precipitation fluctuations in the Nepal Himalaya and its vicinity and relationship with some large-scale climatology parameters. International Journal of Climatology 20: 317–327. , , , .
- 2003. Probable causes of late twentieth century tropospheric temperature trends. Climate Dynamics 21: 573–591. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Observations: Surface and Atmospheric Climate Change. In: Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, United Kingdom, New York, NY, USA. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- UNDP. 2007. Human Development Report 2007/2008—fighting climate change: human solidarity in a divided world. http://hdr.undp.org/en/reports/global/hdr2007-2008/.
- 2006. The boundary between the northern and southern Tibetan Plateau with different variations in the warm season air temperatures on the decadal time scale. Quaternary Sciences 26: 165–172. .
- 2006. Variations of atmospheric dust loading in the southern and northern Tibetan Plateau over the last millennium recorded in ice cores. Quaternary Sciences 26: 752–761. , , .
- 2007. Accumulation rates over the past 500 years recorded in ice cores from the northern and southern Tibetan Plateau, China. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research 39: 671–677. , , , .
- 2008. Tibetan Plateau warming and precipitation changes in East Asia. Geophysical Research Letters 35: L14702, DOI: 10.1029/2008GL034330. , , , , .
- 2004. Study on changes of glaciers and glacial lakes in the Pum qu Basin based on RS and GIS. Journal of Lanzhou University (Natural Sciences) 40: 97–100 (in Chinese). , , , , .
- 2008. Study on relationship between climate change trend and forest resources degradation in Linzhi prefecture. Forest Inventory and Planning 33: 37–40(in Chinese). , , .
- 2006. Analysis of climate change in Tibetan Plateau over the past 40 years. Journal of Subtropical Resources and Environment 1: 24–31(in Chinese). , , .
- 2007. Detection of decadal trends in precipitation across the Tibetan Plateau. Methodology in Hydrology. In Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Methodology in Hydrology held in Nanjing, China, October–November, 2005. IAHS Publ.311, 2007, 271–276. , , and .
- Xu JC, Arun BS, Ramesh AV, Mats E, Santosh N and Klas S 2008. The changing Himalayas: impact of climate change on water resources and livelihood in the Great Himalayas. International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Kathmandu, Nepal.
- 2004. Do the western Himalayas defy global warming? Geophysical Research Letters 31: L17201, DOI: 10.1029/2004GL020201. , , , .
- 2004. The ecological environment and sustainable development strategy in Tibet. China Tibetology 3: 31(in Chinese). .
- 2007. Temperature variations on the Tibetan Plateau during the last millennium. Advances in Climate Change Research 3: 31–34. , .
- 2001. A bias-corrected Siberian regional precipitation climatology. Journal of Hydrometeorology 2(2): 122–139. , .
- 2006. δ18O record and temperature change over the past 100 years in ice cores on the Tibetan Plateau. Science in China: Series D Earth Science 49: 1–9. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A bias-corrected precipitation climatology for China. Journal of Hydrometeorology 5(6): 1147–1160. , , , , .
- 1997. The climatological characteristics of temperature variation for 1961–1990 in Tibet. Meteorological Monthly 23: 21–24(in Chinese). .
- 2007. Situation, cause and improve countermeasure of the meadow degradation in Tibet. Tibet′s Science and Technology 2: 49–51. (in Chinese). .