Spatial coherence and potential predictability assessment of intraseasonal statistics of wet and dry spells over Equatorial Eastern Africa
Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 12, pages 2690–2705, October 2013
How to Cite
Gitau, W., Ogallo, L., Camberlin, P. and Okoola, R. (2013), Spatial coherence and potential predictability assessment of intraseasonal statistics of wet and dry spells over Equatorial Eastern Africa. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 2690–2705. doi: 10.1002/joc.3620
- Issue online: 7 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 1 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 AUG 2011
- Embassy of France in Kenya
- 1988. Regionalization of daily rainfall in Kenya by means of common factor analysis. International Journal of Climatology 8: 371–389. .
- 2006. Defining dry/wet spells for point observations, observed area averages and regional climate model gridboxes in Europe. Climate Research 31: 35–49. , , , , , .
- 2005. Paramount Impact of the Indian Ocean Dipole on the East African short rains: A CGCM study. Journal of Climate 18: 4514–4530. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The relationship between Indian Ocean sea-surface temperature and East African rainfall. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 363: 43–47. .
- 2003. An observational study of the relationship between excessively strong short rains in coastal East Africa and Indian Ocean SST. Monthly Weather Review 103: 74–94. , , .
- 1989. Erosion and soil conservation in semi-arid tropical region: Rift Valley Province, Kenya. Sixth International Soil Conservation Conference, Ethiopia, 6–18 November 1989. and ,
- 2003. The onset and cessation of the “long rains” in eastern Africa and their interannual variability. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 75: 43–54. , .
- 2002. The East African March–May rainy season: Associated atmospheric dynamics and predictability over the 1968–1997 period. Journal of Climate 15: 1002–1019. , .
- 1966. The scree-test for the number of factors. Multivariate Behavioral Research 1: 245–276. .
- 2002. Soil water behaviour of sandy soils under semiarid conditions in the Duero Basin (Spain). Journal of Arid Environments 51: 501–519. , , , .
- 2004. Analysis of rainfall trends and dry periods on a pluviometric gradient representative of Mediterranean climate in the Duero Basin, Spain. Journal of Arid Environments 58: 215–233. , , .
- 1998. Stochastic modeling of daily rainfall: the impact of adjoining wet days on the distribution of rainfall amounts. Environmental Modeling and Software 13: 317–324. .
- 2003. Interdecadal variability of the relationship between the Indian Ocean Zonal Mode and East African coastal rainfall anomalies. Journal of Climate 16: 548–554. , , .
- 1990. The origins of Kriging. Mathematical Geology 22: 239–252. .
- 1991. Statistics for Spatial Data. John Wiley and Sons, Inc. 900 pp: New York. .
- 2000. Modeling wet and dry spells with mixture distributions. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 73: 245–256. , , .
- 1987. The variation of dry spells in Marseilles from 1865 to 1984. Journal of Climatology 7: 541–551. .
- 2003. Daily precipitation statistics in regional climate models: Evaluation and intercomparison for the European Alps. Journal of Geophysical Research 108: 4124. DOI: 1029/2002DJ002287. , , , , , .
- 2010. Evaluation of various root transformations of daily precipitation amounts fitted with a normal distribution for Australia. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 99: 229–238. , , .
- 2008. Intraseasonal characteristics of wet and dry spells over Kenya. Journal of Kenya Meteorological Society 2(1): 19–30. , , .
- 2001. Spatial coherence and predictability of Indonesian wet season rainfall. Journal of Climate 14: 3382–3887. , .
- 1997. The Global Precipitation Climatology Project (GPCP) combined precipitation dataset. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78(1): 5–20. , , , , , , , , , .
- ICPAC, 2006. Factoring climate products for improved agriculture production and food security for East Africa region. In Proceedings of Regional Capacity Building and Training Workshop. 21–28 August 2006, Nairobi, Kenya.
- 2000. ENSO signals in East African Rainfall and their prediction potentials. International Journal of Climatology 20: 19–46. , , .
- 1995. Numerical simulation of the influence of sea surface temperature anomalies on the East African seasonal rainfall. PhD thesis, Department of Meteorology, University of Nairobi, Kenya. .
- 1988. An investigation of interannual rainfall variability in Africa. Journal of Climate 1: 240–255. .
- 1994. Some common features of probability distributions for precipitation. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 49: 69–76. .
- 1959. The varimax criterion for analytic rotation in factor analysis. Psychometrika 23: 187–200. .
- 2001. Analysis of a 30-year rainfall record (1967–1997) in semi–arid SE Spain for implications on vegetation. Journal of Arid Environments 48: 373–395. , , , , .
- 1999. Regionalisation of Peninsular Spain based on the length of dry spells. International Journal of Climatology 19: 537–555. , .
- 1994. A Markov chain model for daily precipitation occurrence in South Korea. International Journal of Climatology 14: 1009–1016. , , .
- 2006. Seasonal predictability and spatial coherence of rainfall characteristics in the tropical setting of Senegal. Monthly Weather Review 134: 3248–3262. , , .
- 2007. Spatial coherence of tropical rainfall at the regional scale. Journal of Climate 20: 5244–5263. , , , .
- 1996. Investigating the influence of synoptic-scale monsoonal winds and mesoscale circulations on diurnal weather patterns over Kenya using a mesoscale numerical model. Monthly Weather Review 124: 224–243. , .
- 2000. East African rainfall and the tropical circulation/convection on intraseasonal to interannual timescales. Journal of Climate 13: 3915–3939. , .
- 2006. Diagnostics and predictability of East African rainfall with tropospheric circulation parameters. PhD thesis, Department of Meteorology, University of Nairobi, Kenya. .
- 1982. Sampling errors in the estimation of empirical orthogonal functions. Monthly Weather Review 110: 699–706. , , , .
- 2005. Influence of topography on monthly rainfall distribution over East Africa. Climate Research 28: 199–212. , .
- 1980. Regional classification of the East African Rainfall stations into homogeneous groups using the method of Principal Component Analysis. Statistical Climatology: Developments in Atmospheric Science 13: 255–266. .
- 1982. Quasi-periodic patterns in the East African rainfall records. Kenya Journal of Science and Technology A3: 43–54. .
- 1988. Relationship between seasonal rainfall in East Africa and Southern Oscillation. International Journal of Climatology 8: 31–43. .
- 1982. The characteristics of wet spells in Tanzania. East African Agricultural and Forestry Journal 47(4): 87–95. , .
- 1988. Teleconnection between seasonal rainfall over Eastern Africa and Global Sea surface temperature anomalies. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 66: 807–822. , , .
- 1998. Spatial evolutions of the active convective patterns across the equatorial eastern Africa during Northern Hemisphere spring season using outgoing longwave radiation records. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 66: 51–63. .
- 1982. A significance test for principal components applied to a cyclone climatology. Monthly Weather Review 110: 1–4. , .
- 2008. Linkages between the Indian Ocean Dipole and East African Seasonal Rainfall Anomalies. Journal of Kenya Meteorological Society 2(1): 3–17. , , .
- 2002. Characteristics of wet and dry spells over the Pacific side of Central America during the rainy season. Monthly Weather Review 130: 3054–3073. , .
- 1994. Spatial and temporal characteristics of maximum dry spells in southern Norway. International Journal of Climatology 14: 895–909. .
- 2009. Seasonal predictability of daily rainfall statistics over Indramayu district, Indonesia. International Journal of Climatology 29: 1449–1462. , , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with El Niño/Southern Oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 1999. A dipole mode in the tropical Indian Ocean. Nature 401: 360–363. , , , .
- 1996. A GCM study of the teleconnections between the continental climate of Africa and global sea-surface temperature anomalies. Journal of Climate 9: 2480–2497. , , , .
- 1999. Extreme daily rainfall events and their impacts on ensemble forecasts of the Indian monsoon. Monthly Weather Review 127: 1954–1966. , , , , , .
- 1999. Statistical Analysis in Climate Research. Cambridge University Press pp: 494, Cambridge. , .
- 2002. Intra-seasonal rainfall characteristics and their importance to the seasonal prediction problem. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1033–1048. , .
- 2007. Climatic and oceanic associations with daily rainfall extremes over southern Africa. International Journal of Climatology 27: 93–108. , , .