Spring onset variations and trends in the continental United States: past and regional assessment using temperature-based indices
Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 13, pages 2917–2922, 15 November 2013
How to Cite
Schwartz, M. D., Ault, T. R. and Betancourt, J. L. (2013), Spring onset variations and trends in the continental United States: past and regional assessment using temperature-based indices. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 2917–2922. doi: 10.1002/joc.3625
- Issue online: 23 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 26 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 26 FEB 2012
- 2011. Northern hemisphere modes of variability and the timing of spring in Western North America. Journal of Climate 24: 4003–4014. , , , , .
- 2012. Arctic warming, increasing snow cover and widespread boreal winter cooling. Environmental Research Letters 7: 014007. DOI: 10.1088/1748-9326/7/1/014007. , , , , .
- ClimateWatch web page. Retrieved February 24, 2012. Available at http://www.climatewatch.org.au/
- 2005. Earlier winter wheat heading dates and warmer spring in the U.S. Great Plains. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 135: 284–290. , , , .
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2007. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability, Chapter 1: Assessment of Observed Changes and Responses in Natural and Managed Systems. IPCC Secretariat, http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar4/wg2/ar4-wg2-chapter1.pdf.
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year re-analysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Can CGCMs simulate the Twentieth-Century “Warming Hole” in the Central United States? Journal of Climate 19: 4137–4153. , , , .
- 2008. India needs phenological station networks. Current Science 95: 832–834. , .
- 2005. Why is there an early spring cooling shift downstream of the Tibetan Plateau? Journal of Climate 18: 4460–4668. , , , .
- 2011. Reconstruction of false spring occurrences over the southeastern United States, 1901–2007: an increasing risk of spring freeze damage? Environmental Research Letters 6: 1–5. , , , .
- 2012. Influences of ENSO and PDO on the timing of North American spring. International Journal of Climatology. DOI: 10.1002/joc.3400. , , , , .
- 2012. Mechanisms contributing to the warming hole and the consequent U.S. east–west differential of heat extremes. Journal of Climate 25: 6394–6408. , , .
- 2004. Altered hydrologic feedback in a warming climate introduces a “warming hole”. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L17109. DOI: 10.1029/2004GL020528. , , , , , .
- 2007. Influences of species, latitudes and methodologies on estimates of phenological response to global warming. Global Change Biology 13: 1860–1872. .
- 2012. Digital herbarium archives as a spatially extensive, taxonomically discriminate phenological record; a comparison to MODIS satellite imagery. International Journal of Biometeorology 56: 1179–1182. .
- 2011. The role of changes in the annual cycle in earlier onset of climatic spring in northern China. Advances in Atmospheric Science 28: 284–296. , , , .
- 2002. General circulation model simulations of recent cooling in the east-central United States. Journal of Geophysical Research 107(D24): 4748. DOI: 10.1029/2001JD001577. , , .
- 2012. From Caprio's Lilacs to the U.S.A. National Phenology Network. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10: 324–327. , , .
- 2006. Onset of spring starting earlier across the Northern Hemisphere. Global Change Biology 12: 343–351. , , .
- 1997. Models to predict peach phenology from meteorological variables. HortScience 32: 213–216. , , , .
- 2001. Regional climate impacts of the Northern Hemisphere annular mode. Science 293: 85–89. , .
- 2003. The European phenology network. International Journal of Biometeorology 47: 202–212. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Climate variability leads to later seasonal flowering of Floridian plants. PLoS One 5: e11500. , , .
- 1981. Teleconnections in the geopotential height field during the Northern Hemisphere winter. Monthly Weather Review 109: 784–812. , .
- 2009. Attribution of the seasonality and regionality in climate trends over the United States during 1950–2000. Journal of Climate 22: 2571–2590. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Climate Change and Shifts in Spring Phenology of Three Horticultural Woody Perennials in Northeastern USA. International Journal of Biometeorology 49: 303–309. , , , , , .