Rainfall variations in south-eastern Australia part 1: consolidating evidence from pre-instrumental documentary sources, 1788–1860
Version of Record online: 28 DEC 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 14, pages 2956–2972, 30 November 2013
How to Cite
Fenby, C. and Gergis, J. (2013), Rainfall variations in south-eastern Australia part 1: consolidating evidence from pre-instrumental documentary sources, 1788–1860. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 2956–2972. doi: 10.1002/joc.3640
- Issue online: 12 NOV 2013
- Version of Record online: 28 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 28 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 21 MAR 2012
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage Project. Grant Number: LP0990151
- 1988. El Nino southern oscillation influences in the Australasian region. Progress in Physical Geography 12: 4–40. .
- 1996. El Nino Southern Oscillation and Climate Variability. CSIRO: Melbourne, Australia. , , .
- 2009. A multiproxy index of the El Nino–Southern Oscillation, A.D. 1525–1982. Journal of Geophysical Research 114(D5): D05106. , , , , .
- Bureau of Meteorology. 2010a. Climate Glossary – Drought. Bureau of Meteorology: Canberra.
- Bureau of Meteorology. 2010b. Living with Drought. Bureau of Meteorology: Canberra.
- 2008. Severe Storms on the East Coast of Australia, 1770–2008. Griffith University, Griffith Centre for Coastal Management: Southport. , .
- 1804. An account of the English colony in New South Wales: from its first settlement in January 1788 to August 1801: with remarks on the dispositions, customs, manners &c. of the native inhabitants of that country: to which are added some particulars of New Zealand, compiled … from the Mss. of Lieutenant-Governor King, and an account of a voyage performed by Captain Flinders and Mr. Bass .... Abstracted from the journal of Mr. Bass. A. Strahan for T. Cadell and W. Davies, London. .
- 2007. The Weather Watchers. Melbourne University Publishing: Carlton. .
- 1814. A Voyages to Terra Australis: Undertaken for the Purpose of Completing the Discovery of that Vast Country. W. Bulmer & Co: London. .
- 1957. Droughts in Australia: Review of Records from Earliest Years of Settlement to 1955, Bulletin No. 43. Bureau of Meteorology, Melbourne. .
- 2011. An experimental streamflow reconstruction for the River Murray, Australia, 1783–1988. Water Resources Research 47(W00G04). DOI: 10.1029/2010WR009832. , .
- 2008. A Chronology of El Niño events from primary documentary sources in northern Peru. Journal of Climate 21(9): 1948–1962. , , , , , , .
- Rainfall variations in south-eastern Australia part 2: a comparison of documentary, early instrumental and palaeoclimate records, 1788–2008. International Journal of Climatology. DOI: 10.1002/joc.3639. , . 2012.
- 2009. A history of El Niño–Southern Oscillation (ENSO) events since A.D. 1525: implications for future climate change. Climatic Change 92(3): 343–387. , .
- 2009. A climate reconstruction of Sydney Cove, New South Wales, using weather journal and documentary data, 1788–1791. Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Journal 58(2): 83–98. , , .
- 2010. The influence of climate on the first European settlement of Australia: a comparison of weather journals, documentary data and palaeoclimate records, 1788–1793. Environmental History 15(3): 485–507. , , .
- 2011. On the long-term context of the 1997–2009 ‘Big Dry’ in south-eastern Australia: insights from a 206-year multi-proxy rainfall reconstruction. Climatic Change. DOI: 10.1007/s10584-011-0263-x. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Revolutionary Weather: The Climatic and Economic Crisis of 1788–1795 and the discovery of El Nino. In A Change in the Weather: Climate and Culture in Australia, Sherratt T, Griffiths T, Robin L (eds). National Museum of Australia Press: Canberra. .
- 2009. Droughts in the Murray Darling Basin Since European Settlement. Griffith University: Southport, Queensland. .
- 2007. Australia and New Zealand. In Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 507–540. , , , , , , , .
- 1911. Results of Rainfall Observations made in Victoria during 1840–1910. Including all Available Annual Rainfall Totals from 1,114 Stations; Together with Maps and Diagrams. Bureau of Meteorology: Melbourne. .
- 1914. Results of Rainfall Observations Made in Queensland Including all Available Annual Rainfall Totals from 1040 Stations for all Years of Record up to 1913; Together with Maps and Diagrams. Bureau of Meteorology: Melbourne. .
- 1918. Results of Rainfall Observations made in South Australia and the Northern Territory, Including all Available Annual Rainfall Totals from 829 Stations for all Years of Record up to 1917, with Maps and Diagrams; also, Appendices, Presenting Monthly and Yearly Meteorological Elements for Adelaide and Darwin. Bureau of Meteorology: Melbourne. .
- 1991. Groundwater and surface water interaction at Lake George, New South Wales. Journal of Australian Geology and Geophysics 12: 181–190. , , .
- 1859. Some data concerning the climate of Australia & New Zealand. In Waugh's Australian Almanac for the year 1859. James William Waugh: Sydney; 47–98. .
- 2001. Modelling historical lake levels and recent climate change at three closed lakes, Western Victoria, Australia (c.1840–1990). Journal of Hydrology 246: 159–180. , , .
- 2009. High-quality spatial climate data-sets for Australia. Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Journal 58: 233–248. , , .
- 2005. Attribution of recent temperature changes in the Australian region. Journal of Climate 18: 457–464. , .
- 1992. The drought walked through: a history of water shortage in Victoria. Department of Water Resources: Melbourne. .
- 2011. Climate Science Update: A Report to the 2011 Garnaut Review. Centre for Australian Weather and Climate Research (CAWCR) Technical Report No. 036. , .
- 1972. ‘Jevons, William Stanley (1835–1882)’, Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/jevons-william-stanley-3857/text6135, originally published in hardcopy in 1972. .
- 1981. The Fires of Summer and the Floods of Winter: Towards a Climatic History for South-Eastern Australia, 1788–1860. Macquarie University Library: Sydney. .
- 1983. Seasonal Relationship between Australian Rainfall and the Southern Oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 111: 1998–2004. , .
- 2010. A unified proxy for ENSO and PDO variability since 1650. Climate of the Past 6: 1–17. , , .
- 1839. Three Expeditions into the Interior of Eastern Australia: With Descriptions of the Recently Explored Region of Australia Felix and of the Present Colony of New South Wales. T. & W. Boone: London. .
- 2008. A review of recent climate variability and climate change in south-eastern Australia. International Journal of Climatology 28: 859–879. , .
- 2008. ‘Splendid rains have fallen’: links between El Nino and rainfall variability in the Kalahari, 1840–1900. Climatic Change 86(3–4): 257–290. , .
- 2010. “A sky of brass and burning winds”: documentary evidence of rainfall variability in the Kingdom of Lesotho, Southern Africa, 1824–1900. Climatic Change 101(3–4): 617–653. , .
- 2012. Southern Hemisphere high-resolution palaeoclimate records of the last 2000 years. The Holocene. DOI: 10.1177/0959683611427335. , .
- 2009. An extended network of documentary data from South America and its potential for quantitative precipitation reconstructions back to the 16th century. Geophysical Research Letters 37(L14708). DOI: 10.1029/2010GL043680. , , , , , , , .
- 1988. More on early ENSOs: evidence from Australian documentary sources. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 69(1): 4–6. .
- 1992. Historical El Niño Southern Oscillation Variability in the Australasian region. In El Niño: Historical and Paleoclimatic Aspects of the Southern Oscillation. Diaz H, Markgraf V (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 151–175. .
- 2009. Local and remote causes of the southern Australian autumn-winter rainfall decline, 1958–2007. Climate Dynamics 34(6): 835–845. .
- 1996. Recent apparent changes in relationship between the El Nino-Southern Oscillation and Australian rainfall and temperature. Geophysical Research Letters 23(23): 3357–3360. , , , , .
- 2000. The documentary historical record of El Niño events in Peru: An update of the Quinn record (sixteenth through nineteenth centuries). In El Niño and the Southern Oscillation: Variability, Global and Regional Impacts, Diaz H, Markgraf V (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 207–295. .
- 2006. Climatic Background to Past and Future Floods in Australia, in Floods in an Arid Continent, edited by Aldo Poiani. Elsevier: San Diego. , , , .
- 1992. The historical record of El Niño events. In Climate Since A.D. 1500, Bradley R, Jones P (eds). Routledge: London; 623–648. , .
- 2009. On the remote drivers of rainfall variability in Australia. Monthly Weather Review 137: 3233–3253. , , , , .
- 1877. Climate of New South Wales: Descriptive, Historical and Tabular. Charles Potter, Acting Government Printer: Sydney. .
- 1887a. Notes upon floods in Lake George. Charles Potter, Government Printer: Sydney. .
- 1887b. Notes upon the history of floods in the River Darling. Charles Potter, Government Printer: Sydney. .
- 1985. Late Cainozoic history of vegetation, fire, lake levels and climate, at Lake George, New South Wales, Australia. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 311(1151): 379–447. , .
- 1793. A Complete Account of the Settlement at Port Jackson: Including an Accurate Description of the Situation of the Colony: of the Natives; and of its Natural Productions. G. Nicol and J. Sewell: London. .
- 2010. Understanding the anthropogenic nature of the observed rainfall decline across south eastern Australia. Centre for Australian Weather and Climate Research (CAWCR) Technical Report No. 026, 202 pp. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Reconstructing historical rainfall averages for the Murray–Darling basin. Bulletin of the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society 22: 159–164. , .
- 2011. Indian and Pacific Ocean Influences on Southeast Australian Drought and Soil Moisture. Journal of Climate 24: 1313–1336. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Nature and causes of protracted droughts in southeast Australia: Comparison between the Federation, WWII, and Big Dry droughts. Geophysical Research Letters 36. DOI: 10.1029/2009GL041067. , .
- 1976. ‘Russell, Henry Chamberlain (1836–1907)’, Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/russell-henry-chamberlain-4525/text7409, originally published in hardcopy in 1976. .
- 1948. Results of Rainfall Observations made in New South Wales, Sections I – VI, Districts 46–75, Including Rainfall Tables (Monthly and Annual), Discussion of Rainfall and It's Relation to Primary Industries, also Temperature and Humidity Tables, Records of Floods, Cyclones, and Local Storms, etc. Bureau of Meteorology: Canberra. .
- 1936. Results of Rainfall Observations made in Tasmania Including all Available Annual Rainfall Totals from 356 Stations for all Years of Record up to 1934, with Maps and Diagrams; and Record of Severe Floods. Bureau of Meteorology: Melbourne. .
- 1984. Sydney's climate since 1788 – a preliminary investigation. School of Earth Sciences, Macquarie University, BSc (Hon), Sydney, Australia, 184 pp. .