Diurnal variations in summertime lightning activity in Tropical Asia
Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2013
Copyright © 2013 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 7, pages 1830–1836, 15 June 2013
How to Cite
Sen Roy, S. and Balling, R. C. (2013), Diurnal variations in summertime lightning activity in Tropical Asia. Int. J. Climatol., 33: 1830–1836. doi: 10.1002/joc.3658
- Issue online: 4 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUL 2012
- 2003. Monitoring the monsoon in the Himalayas: Observations in central Nepal, June 2001. Monthly Weather Review 131: 1408–1427. , .
- 2004. Probing orographic controls in the Himalayas during the monsoon using satellite imagery. Natural Hazards And Earth System Sciences 4: 29–51. , , , .
- 2007. Diurnal variation in precipitation over India during the summer monsoon season: observed and model predicted. Monthly Weather Review 135: 2155–2167. .
- 1998. LIS/OTD Software Guide, Retrieved July 16, 2012. Available at http://list.gr.ssr.upm.es/∼jambrina/rayos/thunder.msfc.nasa.gov/LISOTD_UserGuide.pdf. , , , .
- 2002. Performance assessment of the optical transient detector and lightning imaging sensor. Part I: predicted diurnal variability. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 19: 1318–1332. , , .
- 2012. Gridded lightning climatology from TRMM-LIS OTD: dataset description. Atmospheric Research . DOI: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2012.06.028 , , .
- 2003. Global frequency and distribution of lightning as observed from space by the optical transient detector. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 108: 4005. DOI: 10.1029/2002JD002347 , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Diurnal winds in the Himalayan Kali Gandaki Valley. Part I: Observations. Monthly Weather Review 128: 1106–1122. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Diurnal variation of monsoon rainfall in central India. Mausam 42: 37–40. , , .
- 2010. Diurnal variations of warm-season precipitation over northern China. Monthly Weather Review 138: 1017–1025. , .
- 2007. Monsoon convection in the Himalayan region as seen by the TRMM Precipitation Radar. The Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 133: 1389–1411. DOI: 10.1002/qj.106 , , .
- 2010. The role of diurnal solenoidal circulation on propagating rainfall episodes near the eastern Tibetan plateau. Monthly Weather Review 138: 2975–2989. , , , .
- 2010. Diurnal and spatial variabilities of monsoonal CG lightning and precipitation and their association with the synoptic weather conditions over South Korea. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 102: 43–60. , , , .
- 2006. Time–space characteristics of diurnal rainfall over Borneo and surrounding oceans as observed by TRMM-PR. Journal of Climate 19: 1238–1260. , .
- 1994. Mountain-originated mesoscale precipitation system in northern Taiwan: a case study 21 June 1991. Terrestrial, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences 5: 169–197. .
- 2005. Seasonal transition of predominant precipitation type and lightning activity over tropical monsoon areas derived from TRMM observations. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L14710. DOI: 10.1029/2005GL022986 , , , , .
- 2010. Lightning activity variations over three islands in a tropical monsoon region. Atmospheric Research 98: 309–316. , .
- 2012. Variability of lightning activity in South/Southeast Asia during 1997–98 and 2002–03 El Nino/La Nina events. Atmospheric Research 118: 84–102. , .
- 2012. Statistical analysis of the lightning characteristics parameters in Chongqing during 1999–2008. Resources and Environment in the Yangtze Basin. DOI: CNKI:SUN:CJLY.0.2012-02-019 , , , , .
- 2008. Diurnal cycles of precipitation, clouds, and lightning in the tropics from 9 years of TRMM observations. Geophysical Research Letters 35: L04819. DOI: 10.1029/2007GL032437 , .
- 2004. Diurnal land–sea rainfall peak migration over Sumatera island, Indonesian maritime continent, observed by TRMM satellite and intensive rawinsonde soundings. Monthly Weather Review 132: 2021–2039. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The diurnal cycle of rainfall and convective intensity according to three years of TRMM measurements. Journal of Climate 16: 1456–1475. , .
- 1994. Diurnal variation of southwest monsoon rainfall at Indian stations. Advances in Atmospheric Sciences 11: 111–120. .
- 2010. Regional, Seasonal, and Diurnal Variations of Extreme Convection in the South Asian Region. Journal of Climate 23: 419–439. DOI: 10.1175/2009JCLI3140.1 , , .
- 1947. The structure of the intertropical front over N.W. India during the S.W. monsoon. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 73: 346–369. .
- 1979. The diurnal variability of Florida rainfall. Monthly Weather Review 107: 1535–1545. , .
- 2009. Spatial variations in the diurnal patterns of winter precipitation in India. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 96: 347–356. DOI: 10.1007/s00704-008-0045-1 .
- 2007. Diurnal variations in summer season precipitation in India. International Journal of Climatology 27: 969–976. , .
- 2010. Diurnal rainfall pattern observed by Tropical Rainfall Measuring Mission Precipitation Radar (TRMM-PR) around the Indochina peninsula. Journal of Geophysical Research 115: D07109. DOI: 10.1029/2009JD012155 , , , .
- 2011. Diurnal variations of precipitation, deep convection, and lightning over and east of the eastern Tibetan Plateau. Journal of Climate 24: 448–465. , .
- 2011. Observational evidence of aerosol enhancement of lightning activity and convective invigoration. Geophysical Research Letters 38: L04701. DOI: 10.1029/2010GL046052 , , , .
- 2012: Regimes of diurnal variation of summer rainfall over subtropical East Asia. Journal of Climate 25: 3307–3320. DOI:10.1175/JCLI-D-11-00288.1 , , , , , .
- 2008. Summer precipitation frequency, intensity, and diurnal cycle over China: a comparison of satellite data with rain gauge observations. Journal of Climate 21: 3997–4010. , , , , .
- 2006. Where are the most intense thunderstorms on earth? Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 87: 1057–1071. , , , , .