A climatology of Australian severe thunderstorm environments 1979–2011: inter-annual variability and ENSO influence
Article first published online: 14 FEB 2013
© 2013 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 34, Issue 1, pages 81–97, January 2014
How to Cite
Allen, J. T. and Karoly, D. J. (2014), A climatology of Australian severe thunderstorm environments 1979–2011: inter-annual variability and ENSO influence. Int. J. Climatol., 34: 81–97. doi: 10.1002/joc.3667
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 14 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 23 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 30 JUN 2012
- Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science. Grant Number: CE110001028
- 1996. El Niño, Southern Oscillation and Climatic Variability. CSIRO Publishing: Collingwood, Australia; 405. , , .
- 2012. Supercell storms: Melbourne's white Christmas 2011. Bulletin of the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society 25: 47–51. .
- 2010. Explosive cyclogenesis: a global climatology comparing multiple reanalyses. Journal of Climate 23: 6468–6484. DOI: 10.1175/2010JCLI3437.1 , , .
- 2011. A severe thunderstorm climatology for Australia and associated thunderstorm environments. Australian Meteorological Oceanographic Journal 61: 143–158. , , .
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 2001. Census of Population and Housing: Population Growth and Distribution, Australia, cat. no. 2035.0. http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/2035.0Main+Features12001?OpenDocument (Accessed 21 January 2012).
- 1996. Comparison of NCEP – NCAR Reanalysis with 1987FIFE Data. Monthly Weather Review 124: 1480–1498. , , .
- 2007. A tropospheric assessment of the ERA-40, NCEP, and JRA-25 global reanalyses in the polar regions. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: D10111. DOI: 10.1029/2006JD007859 , , , .
- 2009. Proximity soundings for severe convection for Europe and the United States from reanalysis data. Atmospheric Research 93: 546–553. DOI: 10/1016/j.atmosres.2008.10.005 .
- 2012. Severe thunderstorms and climate change. Atmospheric Research. 10.10.1016/j.atmosres.2012.04.002. in press. .
- 2006. The spatial distribution of severe convective storms and an analysis of their secular changes. In Chapter 8 Climate Extremes and Society. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 24. , .
- 2003. The spatial distribution of severe thunderstorm and tornado environments from global reanalysis data. Atmospheric Research 67: 73–94. , , .
- 2007. Climatological aspects of convective parameters from the NCAR / NCEP reanalysis. Atmospheric Research 83: 294–305. DOI: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2005.08.005 , , , , .
- 2012. Toward a global climatology of severe hailstorms as estimated by satellite passive microwave imagers. Journal of Climate 25: 687–703. , .
- 2011. The ERA-Interim reanalysis: configuration and performance of the data assimilation system. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 137: 553–597. DOI: 10.1002/qj.828 , , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. The distinction between large-scale and mesocale contribution to severe convection: a case study example. Weather and Forecasting 2: 3–16. .
- 2001. Chapter 1: Severe convective storms – an overview. Severe Convective Storms, Meteorological Monograph, American Meteorological Society 50: 1–26. .
- 2006. On the use of indices and parameters in forecasting severe storms. Electronic Journal of Severe Storms Meteorology 1: 1–14. , .
- 1996. Flash flood forecasting: an ingredients-based methodology. Weather and Forecasting 11: 560–581. , , .
- 2001. Estimating Downburst-Related Maximum Surface Wind Speeds by Means of Proximity Soundings in New South Wales, Australia. Weather and Forecasting 16: 261–269. .
- 2011. Climatology of potentially severe convective environments from North American regional reanalysis. Electronic Journal of Severe Storms Meteorology 6: 1–40. , .
- 1993. Severe thunderstorms in New South Wales: climatology and means of assessing the impact of climate change. Climatic Change 25: 369–388. , , , .
- 1993. Biases in the severe thunderstorm database: ramifications and solutions. Preprints, 13th Conference on Weather Forecasting and Analysis, Vienna, American Meteorological Society, 4.
- 2009. Evaluation of thunderstorm indices from ECMWF analyses , lightning data and severe storm reports. Atmospheric Research 93: 381–396. DOI: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2008.11.005 , , .
- 1985. Climatology of non-tornadic severe thunderstorm events in the United States. Monthly Weather Review 113: 1997–2014. , , .
- 1998. The use of a multifactor Southern Oscillation Index for the estimation of annual hailstorm frequencies in the Sydney area. International Journal of Climatology 18: 841–858. DOI:10.1002/(SICI)1097-0088(19980630)18:8<841::AID-JOC284>3.0.CO;2-I .
- 2002. Thunderstorm distribution and frequency in Australia. Australian Meteorological Magazine 51: 145–154. , , , .
- 2002. Tornado Proximity Soundings from the NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis Data. Unpublished MS Thesis: University of Oklahoma; 61. .
- 2001. Hailstorm loss modelling and risk assessment in the Sydney region, Australia. Natural Hazards 24: 171–185. , .
- 2005. The impact of climate change on hailstorms in southeastern Australia. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1933–1952. DOI: 10.1002/joc.1233 , .
- 2010. Assessing the impacts of proximity sounding criteria on the climatology of significant tornado environments. Weather and Forecasting 25: 921–930. , , .
- 1998. The new BMRC limited area prediction system, LAPS. Australian Meteorological Magazine 47: 203–223. , , , , , .
- 1998. A baseline climatology of sounding-derived supercell and tornado forecast parameters. Weather and Forecasting 13: 1148–1164. DOI: 10.1175/1520-0434(1998)013<1148:ABCOSD>2.0.CO;2 , .
- 1983. Meteorological aspects of the El Nino/southern oscillation. Science 222: 1195–1202. , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with the El Niño/Southern Oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 1992. Dynamical Classification of Australian Thunderstorms. BOM Meteorology Study, No. 40, Monash University, 61. .
- 2005. A hail climatology of the greater Sydney area and New South Wales, Australia. International Journal of Climatolology 25: 1633–1650. , , .
- 2001. A generalized Convective Inhibition Energy. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 30: 1–20. , .
- 2007. Effective storm-relative helicity and bulk shear in supercell thunderstorm environments. Weather and Forecasting 22: 102–115. , , .
- 2005. Severe thunderstorms in the Brisbane region and a relationship to the El Niño Southern Oscillation. Australian Meteorological Magazine 54: 197–202. .
- 1999. The April 1999 Sydney Hailstorm. Australian Journal of Emergency Management 14: 23–25. , , .
- 1998. Changes in the extremes of the climate simulated by CCC GCM2 under CO2 doubling. Journal of Climate 11: 2200–2222. , .