Simulation of present and future climate of Saudi Arabia using a regional climate model (PRECIS)
Article first published online: 24 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. International Journal of Climatology published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of the Royal Meteorological Society
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 33, Issue 9, pages 2247–2259, July 2013
How to Cite
Almazroui, M. (2013), Simulation of present and future climate of Saudi Arabia using a regional climate model (PRECIS). Int. J. Climatol., 33: 2247–2259. doi: 10.1002/joc.3721
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2013
- Article first published online: 24 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 4 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 OCT 2012
- 2011a. Sensitivity of a regional climate model (RegCM3) on the simulation of high intensity rainfall events over the Arabian Peninsula and around Jeddah (Saudi Arabia). Theoretical and Applied Climatology 104: 261–276. .
- 2011b. Calibration of TRMM rainfall climatology over Saudi Arabia during 1998–2009. Atmospheric Research 99: 400–414. .
- 2012a. Recent climate change in the Arabian Peninsula: seasonal rainfall and temperature climatology of Saudi Arabia for 1979–2009. Atmospheric Research 111: 29–45. DOI: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2012.02.013 , , , , .
- 2012b. Recent climate change in the Arabian Peninsula: annual rainfall and temperature analysis of Saudi Arabia for 1978–2009. International Journal of Climatology 32: 953–966. DOI: 10.1002/joc.3446 , , , , .
- 2011. Recent observed climate change over the Arabian Peninsula. Journal of Geophysical Research 116: D11109. DOI: 10.1029/2010JD015459 , .
- 2010. Assessment of regional seasonal predictability using the PRECIS regional climate modeling system over South America. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 100: 337–350. DOI: 10.1007/s00704-009-0165-2 , .
- 2005. Climate Change Scenario Simulations over Eritrea by Using a Fine–Resolution Limited–Area Climate Model: Temperature and Moisture Sensitivity, Master's thesis etd–02102006–152327, University of Pretoria, Department of Geography, Geoinformatics and Meteorology, Eritrea, Niger. .
- 2011. Examining regional climate model (RCM) projections: what do they add to our picture of future climate in the region? Intermountain West Climate Summary (IWCS) 7(5): 7. , , .
- 2001. Regional climate information—evaluation and projections. In Climate Change: The Scientific Basis, Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report, Houghton JT, Ding Y, Griggs DJ, Noguer M, van der Linden PJ, Xioaosu D (eds). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kongdom and New York, US, 583–638 pp., ISBN: 0521 01495 6. , .
- 2001. Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis, Contribution of Working Group I to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , , , , , (eds).
- 2002. Regional climate model simulations of present-day and future climates of southern Africa. Hadley Centre Technical Note 39, Met Office, UK. , .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis, Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge and New York.
- 2009. Rainfall and temperature scenario for Bangladesh. The Open Atmospheric Science Journal 3: 93–103. DOI: 10.2174/1874282300903010093 .
- 2009. Future change in the frequency of warm and cold spells over Pakistan simulated by the PRECIS regional climate model. Climate Change 94: 35–45. DOI: 10.1007/s10584–009–9557–7 , , .
- 2004. Generating High–Resolution Climate Change Scenarios Using PRECIS. Met Office Hadley Centre: Exeter. , , .
- 2011. High resolution interpolation of climate scenarios for the conterminous USA and Alaska derived from General Circulation Model Simulations. USDA Forest Service General Technical Report RMRS-GTR-263. , , , , , , .
- 2006. High-resolution climate change scenarios for India for the 21st century. Current Science 90(3): 334–345. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A fine-resolution regional climate change experiment for the Eastern Mediterranean: analysis of the present climate simulations. Global and Planetary Change 64(1–2): 93–104. DOI: 10.1016/j.gloplacha.2008.10.003 , , , .
- 1995. Transient response of the Hadley Centre coupled ocean–atmosphere model to increasing carbon dioxide. Part II. Spatial and temporal structure of response. Journal of Climate 8: 57–80. , .
- 2000. Representing twentieth century space–time climate variability. Part 2: development of 1901–96 monthly grids of terrestrial surface climate. Journal of Climate 13: 2217–2238. , , .
- 2007. The ICTP RegCM3 and RegCNET: regional climate modeling for the developing world. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 88(9): 1395–1409. , , , .
- 2009. Installing and Using the Hadley Centre Regional Climate Modelling System PRECIS. Version 1.8.2. Met Office Hadley Centre: Exeter. , , , , .
- WCRP 2011. Data and bias correction for decadal climate predictions. World Climate Research Programme report, International CLIVAR Project Office, CLIVAR Publication Series No. 150.
- 1997. Global precipitation: a 17–year monthly analysis based on gauge observations, satellite estimates, and numerical model outputs. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2539–2558. , .
- 2006. Statistical analyses of climate change scenarios over China in the 21st Century. Advances in Climate Change Research 2: 50–53. , , , , .