Global distribution and risk to shipping of very extreme sea states (VESS)
Article first published online: 9 MAY 2014
© 2014 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 35, Issue 1, pages 69–84, January 2015
How to Cite
Cardone, V. J., Callahan, B. T., Chen, H., Cox, A. T., Morrone, M. A. and Swail, V. R. (2015), Global distribution and risk to shipping of very extreme sea states (VESS). Int. J. Climatol., 35: 69–84. doi: 10.1002/joc.3963
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 9 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 22 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 21 JUN 2013
- 2011. DUE GlobWave Wave Data Handbook. Logica, UK Ltd., 58pp. http://www.globwave.org/content/download/10362/68974/file/GlobWave_D.9_WDH_v1.0.pdf , , .
- 2004. Freak wave events within the second order wave model. In Proceedings of 23rd International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering (OMAE). Vancouver, Canada. , .
- 2012. On the probability of occurrence of rogue waves. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. 12: 751–762. , .
- 2009. The basic ingredients of the North Atlantic storm track. Part 1: land-sea contrast and orography. J. Atmos. Sci. 66: 2539–2559. , , .
- 2011. New insights in extreme crest height distributions: a summary of the CREST JIP. OMAE 2011-49846, 19–24 June, Rotterdam, The Netherlands. , , , , .
- 1996. Evaluation of contemporary ocean wave models in rare extreme events: Halloween storm of October, 1991; Storm of the century of March, 1993. J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol. 13: 198–230. , , , , .
- 2011. Global distribution and associated synoptic climatology of very extreme sea states (VESS). In 12th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Coastal Hazards. Hawaii, November 2012. , , , .
- 2011. Validation of high wave height data. GlobWave Misc Note. .
- 2010. Performance of NCEP regional wave models in predicting peak sea states during the 2005 North Atlantic hurricane season. Weather Forecast. 25: 1543–1567. , .
- 2001. In Satellite Altimetry and Earth Sciences, Fu LL, Cazenave A (eds). Academic Press: San Diego, CA. , , , , .
- 1998. Use of operation support information technology to increase ship safety and efficiency. In Annual Meeting of Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers. Vol. 106, 105–128. , , .
- 2011. Examining a comprehensive dataset containing thousands of freak wave events. Part 2 – analysis and findings. OMAE2011-50169, 19–24 June, Rotterdam, The Netherlands. ,
- 2011. On the use of the climate forecast system reanalysis wind forcing in ocean response modeling. In 12th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Coastal Hazards. Kona, Hawaii, October 31–November 4. , .
- 2000. A global wave hindcast over the period 1958–1997: validation and climate assessment. J. Geophy. Res. (Oceans) 106(C2): 2313–2329. , .
- 2013. Global wave climate trend and variability. In 13th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting and 4th Coastal Hazards Symposium. Banff, AB, Canada, October 27–November 1. , .
- 2001. An analytical assessment of the sinking of the M.V. Derbyshire. Transactions of the Royal Institution of Naval Architecture. .
- 2003. An investigation of head-sea parametric rolling and its influence on container lashing systems. Marine Technol. 40(1): 1–19. , , , , , .
- 2009. Rogue waves. Physics Today, American Institute of Physics, June, 2009. , .
- 2003. Characteristics of abnormal waves in North Sea storm sea states. Appl. Ocean Res. 25: 337–344. , , .
- 2013. Prediction of ship based response statistics in extreme seas using model test data and numerical simulations based on the Rankline Panel Method. OMAE 2013, Nantes, France, 9–14 June, 2013. , , , .
- 1983. On the evolution of the QE II storm. I: synoptic aspects. Mon. Weather Rev. 111(6): 1137–1155. .
- 2000. Freak waves: rare realizations of a typical population or typical realizations of a rare population. In Proceedings of the 10th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. ISOPE, Seattle, USA, Vol. III, 123–130. , .
- 2006. Were extreme waves in the Rockall Trough the largest ever recorded? Geophys. Res. Lett. 33: L05613, DOI: 10.1029/2005GL025238. , , , , , , .
- IACS. 2001. International Association of Classification Societies. Recommendation No. 34, Standard Wave Data. http://www.iacs.org.uk.
- 2006. Performance of third generation wave models in extreme hurricanes. In 9th International Wind and Wave Workshop. Victoria, BC, Canada, 25–29 September. . , .
- 1994. The performance of the Canadian spectral ocean wave model (CSOWM) during the Grand Banks ERS-1 SAR wave spectra validation experiment. Atmosphere-Ocean 32: 31–60. , , .
- 2006. Were freak waves involved in the sinking of the Tanker “Prestige”? Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. 6: 973–978. .
- 2012. The Andrea wave. Characteristics of a measured North Sea rogue wave. OMAE 2012-84099. , .
- 2003. Regional distribution of extreme waves. In Proceedings of the MAXWAVE Final Meeting. Geneva, Switzerland, 8–10 October. , .
- 1986. On the calculation of extreme wave heights: a review. Ocean Eng. 13(1): 93–118. , .
- 2009. Statistical properties of mechanically generated surface gravity waves: a laboratory experiment in a three dimensional wave basin. J. Fluid Mech. 626: 235–257. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1964. A proposed spectral form for fully developed wind seas based on the similarity theory of S. A. Kitaigorodskii. J. Geophys. Res. 69: 5181–5190. , .
- 2010. Global altimeter SWH data set. IFREMER, Plouzane France, May, 2010. , .
- 2008. Rogue waves: results of the MaxWave Project. J. Offshore Mech. Arct. Eng. 130(2): 8. , .
- 2010. The NCEP climate forecast system reanalysis. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 91: 1015–1057. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Synoptic-dynamic climatology of the “Bomb”. Mon. Weather Rev. 108: 1589–1606. , .
- 2006. The WMO/IOC JCOMM Wave Programme. In 9th International Wind and Wave Workshop. Victoria, BC, Canada, 25–29 September. , .
- 2005. Distribution of surface gravity waves during spectral changes. J. Fluid Mech. 542: 195–216. , , , , .
- 1953. On the motions of ships in confused seas. Transactions of the Society of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. , .
- 2000. On the use of NCEP/NCAR reanalysis surface marine wind fields for a long term north Atlantic wave Hindcast. J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol. 17(4): 532–545. , .
- 2007. Sigma0 blooms in the ENVISAT radar altimeter-dat. In Proceedings of the ENVISAT Symposium 2007. Montreux, Switzerland, 23–27 April 2007. ESA SP-636, July 2007. , , .
- 1996. Practical modeling of hurricane surface wind fields. J. Waterway, Port, Coastal, Ocean Eng. 122(4): 195–205. , .
- 2006. Towards the identification of warning criteria: analysis of a ship accident database. Appl. Ocean Res. 27: 281–291. , , , .
- 2010. Evolution of weakly nonlinear random directional waves: laboratory experiments and numerical Simulations. J. Fluid Mech. 664: 313–336. , , , , , .
- 2006. Operational impact of QuikSCAT winds in the NOAA Ocean Prediction Center. Weather Forecast. 21: 523–539. , , .
- 2009. Evolution of a random directional wave and freak wave occurrence. J. Phys. Oceanograph. 39: 621–639. , , .