A climatology of convective available potential energy in Great Britain
Article first published online: 4 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. International Journal of Climatology published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of the Royal Meteorological Society.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 34, Issue 14, pages 3811–3824, 30 November 2014
How to Cite
Holley, D. M., Dorling, S. R., Steele, C. J. and Earl, N. (2014), A climatology of convective available potential energy in Great Britain. Int. J. Climatol., 34: 3811–3824. doi: 10.1002/joc.3976
- Issue published online: 12 NOV 2014
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 10 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Received: 4 APR 2013
- Royal Meteorological Society
- 2001. The synoptic setting of thunderstorms in western Europe. Atmos. Res. 56: 89–110. .
- 2004. Is buoyancy a relative quantity? Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 853–863. , .
- 1994. The effect of neglecting the virtual temperature correction on CAPE calculations. Weather Forecast. 9: 625–629. , .
- ESTOFEX 2010. Forecasting severe convective storms: pattern recognition: examples. European Storm Forecasting Experiment, Retrieved 20 December, 2012. http://www.estofex.org/guide/pics/3_2.png.
- 1956. The lifted index as a predictor of latent instability. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 37: 528–529. .
- 1998. Mesoscale convective systems over the UK, 1981–97. Weather 53: 388–396. , .
- 2007. Urban aerosol impacts on downwind convective storms. J. Appl. Meteorol. Climatol. 46: 828–850. , .
- 2001. A lightning climatology for Europe and the UK, 1990–99. Weather 56: 290–296. , , .
- 2004. A revised approach to ice microphysical processes for the bulk parameterization of clouds and precipitation. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 103–120. , , .
- 2006. A new vertical diffusion package with an explicit treatment of entrainment processes. Mon. Weather Rev. 134: 2318–2341. , , .
- 2007. A five-year climatology of elevated severe convective storms in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains. Weather Forecast. 22: 1031–1044, DOI: 10.1175/WAF1032.1. , , , , .
- 1992. Severe local storms forecasting. Weather Forecast. 7: 588–612. , .
- 2004. The Kain-Fritsch convective parameterization: an update. J. Appl. Meteorol. 43: 170–181. .
- 2006. The Met Office Arrival Time Difference (ATD) system for thunderstorm detection and lightning location. Met Office, Numerical Weather Prediction: Forecasting Research Technical Report No. 488. https://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/OSY/Meetings/ET-EGOS_Geneva2006/INF-DOC1-Thunderstorms.pdf. , , , .
- 2010. Urbanization signature in the observed heavy rainfall climatology over India. Int. J. Climatol. 30: 1908–1916. , , , , .
- 1976. The dynamics and simulation of tropical cumulonimbus and squall lines. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 120: 373–394. , .
- 1986. The Spanish plume – testing the forecaster's nerve. Meteorol. Mag. 113: 349–357. .
- 2005. The development of a new set of long-term averages for the UK. Int. J. Climatol. 25: 1023–1039, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1160. , .
- 1990. The relationship between network lightning locations and surface hourly observations of thunderstorms. Mon. Weather Rev. 118: 94–108. , .
- 2009. On the impact of urbanization on summertime thunderstorms in Atlanta: two numerical model case studies. Atmos. Res. 92: 172–189. , .
- 2005. A review of current investigations of urban-induced rainfall and recommendations for the future. Earth Interact. 9(12): 1–27. .
- 1953. A stability index for thunderstorm forecasting. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 34: 250–252. .
- 2008. A description of the Advanced Research WRF Version 3. NCAR Technical Note TN-468+STR. 113. http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/docs/arw_v3.pdf. , , , , , , , , .
- 2013. Simulating sea breeze type climatologies: implications for wind energy, weather forecasting and sailing in the southern North Sea, PhD Thesis, University of East Anglia. .
- 2012. Nested high-resolution modelling of the impact of urbanization on regional climate in three vast urban agglomerations in China. J. Geophys. Res. 117: D21103. , , , , .