Validation of ECMWF (re)analysis surface climate data, 1979–1998, for Greenland and implications for mass balance modelling of the ice sheet
Version of Record online: 28 FEB 2001
Copyright © 2001 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 21, Issue 2, pages 171–195, February 2001
How to Cite
Hanna, E. and Valdes, P. (2001), Validation of ECMWF (re)analysis surface climate data, 1979–1998, for Greenland and implications for mass balance modelling of the ice sheet. Int. J. Climatol., 21: 171–195. doi: 10.1002/joc.609
- Issue online: 28 FEB 2001
- Version of Record online: 28 FEB 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 30 AUG 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 AUG 2000
- Manuscript Received: 30 SEP 1999
- 1992 Mountain Weather and Climate (2nd edn). Routledge: London and New York. .
- 1998 Diagnosis of the ECMWF re-analysis dataset by the Centre for Global Atmospheric Modelling. UGAMP Technical Report No. 48, CGAM, University of Reading, Reading, UK. , , , .
- 1996. The influence of clouds on the radiation budget of ice and snow surfaces in Antarctica and Greenland in summer. International Journal of Climatology 16: 1281–1296. , .
- 1990. Response of the energy balance on the margin of the Greenland Ice Sheet to temperature changes. Journal of Glaciology 36: 217–221. , .
- 1990 A simple energy-balance model to calculate ice ablation at the margin of the Greenland Ice Sheet. Journal of Glaciology 36: 222–228. , .
- 1996. Wintertime surface winds over the Greenland Ice Sheet. Monthly Weather Review 124: 1941–1947. , , .
- 1998. Evaluation of recent precipitation studies for Greenland Ice Sheet. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 26 007–26 024. , , , .
- 2000 The sensitivity of a radiation balance model to cloud cover over the Greenland Ice Sheet. Poster presented at the XXV General Assembly of the European Geophysical Society, Nice, France, 29 April 2000. , .
- 1997. Precipitation over Greenland retrieved by a dynamic method and its relation to cyclonic activity. Journal of Climate 10: 839–870. , , .
- 1992. Annual cycle of radiation fluxes over the Arctic ocean: sensitivity to cloud optical properties. Journal of Climate 5: 1267–1280. , .
- 1997 ECMWF Re-Analysis Project Report Series 1. ERA Description. European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts: Reading. , , , , , .
- 1999. Influence of spatial resolution and treatment of orography on GCM estimates of the surface mass balance of the Greenland ice sheet. Journal of Climate 12: 551–563. .
- IPCC. 1996 In Climate Change 1995 The Science of Climate Change, HoughtonJT et al. (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 374–379.
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year Reanalysis Project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Greenland Ice Sheet: high-elevation balance and peripheral thinning. Science 289: 428–430. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Altitude dependence of the ice sheet surface climate. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 2227–2230. , .
- National Snow and Ice Data Center. 1997 Digital SAR Mosaic and Elevation Map of the Greenland Ice Sheet. Digital data available from email@example.com. Boulder, Colorado: NSIDC Distributed Active Archive Center, University of Colorado at Boulder.
- 1978 Boundary Layer Climates. Methuen: London and New York. .
- 1998. A new monthly climatology of global radiation for the Arctic and comparisons with NCEP-NCAR Reanalysis and ISCCP-C2 fields. Journal of Climate 11: 121–136. , , , , .
- 1984. Parametrization of the shortwave flux over high albedo surfaces as a function of cloud thickness and surface albedo. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 110: 747–764. .
- 1996 Greenland Climate Network: GC-Net. In CRREL, Special Report on Glaciers Ice Sheets and Volcanoes, No. 96-27. US Army Corps of Engineers, Cold Region Research and Engineering Laboratory (CRREL): Hanover, New Hampshire. pp. 98–103. , , .
- 1999 Greenland Ice Sheet climatology: GC-Net status and applications. In Program for Arctic Regional Climate Assessment (PARCA), Greenland Science and Planning Meeting, 5–6 October 1998, AbdalatiW (ed.); GSFC; 63–71. , , , .
- Intercomparison between in situ and AVHRR Polar Pathfinder-derived surface albedo over Greenland. Remote Sensing Environment (in press). , , , , .
- 2000. Mass balance of the Greenland Ice Sheet at high elevations. Science 289: 426–428. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Bias correction of daily precipitation measurements for Greenland. Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 6171–6181. , , , .