Performance of statistical downscaling models in GCM validation and regional climate change estimates: application for Swedish precipitation
Article first published online: 3 APR 2001
Copyright © 2001 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 21, Issue 5, pages 557–578, April 2001
How to Cite
Busuioc, A., Chen, D. and Hellström, C. (2001), Performance of statistical downscaling models in GCM validation and regional climate change estimates: application for Swedish precipitation. Int. J. Climatol., 21: 557–578. doi: 10.1002/joc.624
- Issue published online: 19 APR 2001
- Article first published online: 3 APR 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 18 OCT 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 OCT 2000
- Manuscript Received: 24 MAR 2000
- NFR. Grant Numbers: G-AA/GU 11739-300, G11739-302
- 1987. Origin and levels of monthly and seasonal forecast skill for United States surface air temperatures determined by canonical correlation analysis. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1825–1850. , .
- 1995. Hurricane-type vortices in a general circulation model. Tellus 47A: 175–196. , , .
- 1998. SVD applied statistical downscaling for prediction of monthly mean land surface temperatures: model documentation. DNMI Report No. 30. .
- 1999a. Verification of GCM generated regional seasonal precipitation for current climate and of statistical downscaling estimates under changing climate conditions. Journal of Climate 12: 258–272. , , .
- 1999b. Temporal and spatial variability of precipitation in Sweden over the 1890–1990 interval. Report C19, Earth Sciences Centre, University of Gothenburg, Sweden. , , .
- 1999. Large-scale circulation anomalies conductive to extreme precipitation events and derivation of daily rainfall in northeastern Mexico and southeastern Texas. Journal of Climate 12: 1506–1523. .
- 1999. Development and verification of a multiple regression downscaling model for monthly temperature in Sweden. In Preliminary Analysis and Statistical Downscaling of Monthly Temperature in Sweden, Report C16, ChenD, HellströmC, ChenY (eds). Earth Sciences Centre, Göteborg University: Sweden; 41–55. , .
- 1999. The influence of the North Atlantic Oscillation on the regional temperature variability in Sweden: spatial and temporal variations. Tellus 51A: 505–516. , .
- 1996. Estimate of climate change in Southern Europe using different downscaling techniques. Climate Research 7: 129–149. , , , .
- 1997. A finite difference GCM dynamical core with a variable resolution stretched grid. Monthly Weather Review 125: 2943–2968. , , , .
- 1996. North Atlantic Climatological Dataset (NACD Version 1)—Final Report. DNMI Report. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Approaches to the simulation of regional climate change: a review. Review of Geophysics 29: 191–216. , .
- 1998. Development of daily rainfall scenarios for southeast Spain using a circulation-type approach to downscaling. International Journal of Climatology 10: 1051–1083. , .
- 1994. Validation of large-scale precipitation fields in general circulation models. In Global Precipitation and Climate Change, NATO ASI series, vol. I26, DesboisM, DésalmandF (eds). Springer-Verlag: Berlin; 387–405. .
- 1995. Decadal trends in the North Atlantic Oscillation: regional temperatures and precipitation. Science 269: 676–679. .
- 1996. A description of the second Hadley Centre coupled model (HADCM2). Hadley Centre for climate prediction and research report No. 71. .
- 1997. The second Hadley Centre coupled atmosphere–ocean GCM: model description, spinup and validation. Climate Dynamics 13: 103–134. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. A method of relating general circulation model simulated climate to the observed local climate. Part I: Seasonal statistics. Journal of Climate 1: 1057–1064. , , , , .
- 1995. The relationship between sea surface temperature anomalies and atmospheric circulation in GCM experiments. Climate Dynamics 11: 359–375. .
- 1998. Validation and analysis of regional present-day climate and simulation over Europe. MPI for Meteorology. Report No. 275. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Using statistical techniques to deduce local climate distributions. An application for model validation. Meteorological Applications 1: 277–287. .
- 1997. The simulation of daily temperature time series from GCM output. Part 1: comparison of model data with observations. Journal of Climate 10: 2497–2513. , , , .
- 1994. Circulation regime fluctuation and their effect on intraseasonal variability in the ECHAM climate model. Tellus 46A: 265–285. , , , .
- 1999. Simulation of present-day climate in Northern Europe in the HadCM2 GCM. Reports on Meteorology and Climatology, No. 48. Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute. , .
- 1998. RAC-Rossby Centre regional atmospheric climate model: model description and results from the first multi-year simulation. SMHI RMK 83: 76. Obtainable from Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute, Norrköping. , , , , , , .
- 1980. The Northern Hemisphere sea-level pressure data set: trends, errors and discontinuites. Monthly Weather Review 108: 855–872. , .
- 1993. Downscaling of global climate change estimates to regional scale: An application to Iberian rainfall in wintertime. Journal of Climate 6: 1161–1171. , , .
- 1995a. Spatial patterns: EOFs and CCA. In Analysis of Climate Variability: Application of Statistical Techniques, von StorchH, NavarraA (eds). Springer-Verlag: Berlin; 227–258. .
- 1995b. Inconsistencies at the interface of climate impacts studies and global climate research. Meteorologie Zeitschrift NF4: 72–80. .
- 1993. Interannual variability of Central European mean temperature in January-February and its relation to large-scale circulation. Climate Research 3: 195–207. , .
- 1990. Obtaining subgrid scale information from coarse-resolution general circulation model output. Journal of Geophysical Research 95: 1943–1953. , , , .
- 1999. The analog method as a simple statistical downscaling technique: comparison with more complicated methods. Journal of Climate 12: 2474–2489. , .