Pilot study of latewood-width of conifers as an indicator of variability of summer rainfall in the North American monsoon region
Version of Record online: 19 APR 2001
Copyright © 2001 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 21, Issue 6, pages 697–708, May 2001
How to Cite
Meko, D. M. and Baisan, C. H. (2001), Pilot study of latewood-width of conifers as an indicator of variability of summer rainfall in the North American monsoon region. Int. J. Climatol., 21: 697–708. doi: 10.1002/joc.646
- Issue online: 17 MAY 2001
- Version of Record online: 19 APR 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JAN 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 3 JAN 2001
- Manuscript Received: 19 JUL 2000
- Biological Resources Division of the US Geological Survey. Grant Number: CA-8012-2-9001
- NOAA Paleoclimate Program. Grant Number: NA 86GP0454
- 1955. Synoptic climatology of the Arizona summer precipitation singularity. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 36: 329–339. , .
- 1986. Synoptic-dynamic character of ‘bursts’ and ‘breaks’ in the south-west US summer precipitation singularity. Journal of Climatology 6: 605–623. .
- 1951. Water and the growth of wood of Douglas fir. Quarterly Journal of Forestry 45: 242–337. .
- 1992 Tree-based models. In Statistical Models in S, ChambersM, HastieTJ (eds).. Wadsworth and Brooks/Cole Advanced Books and Software: Pacific Grove, CA; 377–419. , .
- 1983 X-Ray densitometric measurement of climatic influence on the intra-annual characteristics of Southwestern semiarid conifer tree rings, PhD Dissertation. University of Arizona, Tucson. .
- 1981. The smoothing spline: a new approach to standardizing forest interior tree-ring width series for dendroclimatic studies. Tree-Ring Bulletin 41: 45–53. , .
- 1999. Drought reconstructions for the continental United States. Journal of Climate 12: 1145–1162. , , , .
- 1964 Statistical and probability analysis of hydrologic data, part III: analysis of variance, covariance and time series. In Handbook of Applied Hydrology, A Compendium of Water-Resources Technology, ChowVT (ed.).. McGraw-Hill Book Company: New York; 8.68–8.90. , .
- 1919 Climatic cycles and tree-growth: a study of the annual rings of trees in relation to climate and solar activity. Publication 289, Carnegie Institution of Washington. .
- 1998. Interannual variability of the US summer precipitation regime with emphasis on the southwestern monsoon. Journal of Climate 11: 2582–2606. , , .
- 1990 Identifying Wood; Accurate Results with Simple Tools. The Taunton Press: Newtown, CT. .
- 1990 Computer-aided image analysis of tree rings. In Methods of Dendrochronology, Applications in the Environmental Sciences, CookER, KairiukstisLA (eds).. Kluwer Academic Press: Boston; 76–93. , .
- 1996. Calculating regional climatic time series for temperature and precipitation: methods and illustrations. International Journal of Climatology 16: 361–377. , .
- 1997 Physiology of Woody Plants (2nd Edn). Academic Press: San Diego. , .
- 1969 Wood formation and the concept of wood quality. Bulletin No. 74, School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, Yale University: New Haven, CT. .
- 1930. Effect of certain climatic factors on the diameter growth of longleaf pine in western Florida. Journal of Agricultural Research 41: 349–363. .
- 1987. Cross-validation in statistical climate forecast models. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 26: 1589–1600. .
- 1966 Climatic change. Technical Note No. 79, report of a working group of the Commission for Climatology. World Meteorological Organization No. 195 TP 100: Geneva, Switzerland. , , , , , , .
- 1955. Some meteorological aspects of drought, with special reference to the summers of 1952–1954 over the United States. Monthly Weather Review 83: 199–205. .
- 1965 Meteorological Drought. Research Paper No. 45, US Weather Bureau, Department of Commerce. .
- 1942. Dendrochronology in pines of Arkansas. Ecology 23: 309–318. .
- 1974 Arizona Climate, 1931–1972. The University of Arizona Press: Tucson, AZ. , .
- 1996. Reflected-light image analysis of conifer tree rings for reconstructing climate. The Holocene 6: 62–68. , , .
- 1997. Dendroclimatological investigations on pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) growing at the planar-colline stage of Germany. Dendrochronologia 15: 51–72. .
- 1968 An Introduction to Tree-Ring Dating. The University of Arizona Press: Tucson, AZ. , .
- 1984. On the average value of correlated time series, with applications in dendroclimatology and hydrometeorology. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 23: 201–213. , , .
- WRCC. 2000 Page title: Western Regional Climate Center WWW Server. http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/. Accessed 3 December 2000. E-mail: email@example.com.