Rapid methods to estimate sky-view factors applied to urban areas
Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2001
Copyright © 2001 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 21, Issue 7, pages 903–913, 15 June 2001
How to Cite
Grimmond, C.S.B., Potter, S.K., Zutter, H.N. and Souch, C. (2001), Rapid methods to estimate sky-view factors applied to urban areas. Int. J. Climatol., 21: 903–913. doi: 10.1002/joc.659
- Issue online: 13 JUN 2001
- Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JAN 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 3 JAN 2001
- Manuscript Received: 12 JUN 2000
- The National Institute of Global Environmental Change, through the US Department of Energy Co-operative Agreement. Grant Number: DE-FC03-90ER61010
- National Science Foundation Division of Undergraduate Education. Grant Number: NSF 9750871
- USDA Forest Service
- 1990. Canyon geometry, the urban fabric and nocturnal cooling: A simulation approach. Physical Geography 11: 209–239. .
- 1998. An urban canyon energy budget model and its application to urban storage heat flux modelling. Energy and Buildings 27: 61–68. , .
- 1985. Canyon geometry, street temperatures and urban heat island in Malmö, Sweden. Journal of Climatology 5: 433–444. , , .
- 1995. Sky-view factors from high-resolution scanned fisheye lens photographic negatives. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 12: 1357–1362. .
- 1988. A simple equal area calibration for fisheye photography. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 44: 19–25. , .
- 1996. Urban nocturnal temperatures, street geometry and land use. Atmospheric Environment 30: 379–392. .
- 1995. A study of road-surface temperature variations during clear windy nights. International Journal of Climatology 15: 919–932. .
- 1992. A simple operative method for determination of sky-view factors in complex urban canyons from fisheye photographs. Meteorological Zeitschrift N.F. 1: 236–239. .
- 1984. The determination of view factors in urban canyons. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 2: 329–335. , .
- LI-COR Inc. 1992. LAI-2000 Plant Canopy Analyzer Operating Manual. Lincoln, Nebraska, USA.
- 1993. Simulation of the energy budget of an urban canyon II. Comparison of model results with measurements. Atmospheric Environment 22: 2691–2700. , .
- 1981. Canyon geometry and the nocturnal heat island: comparison of scale model and field observations. Journal of Climatology 29: 1–16. .
- 1987. Boundary Layer Climates (2nd edn). Routledge: London. .
- 1996. A numerical study of the effect of urban geometry upon the surface energy budget. Atmospheric Environment 30: 487–496. .
- 2000. Measurements of CO2 and energy fluxes over a mixed hardwood forest in the Midwestern United States. Agriculture and Forest Meteorology 103: 355–373. , , , , .
- 1993. The role of radiative–convective interaction in creating the microclimate of urban street canyons. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 64: 231–259. .
- 1980. The calculation of view factors from fisheye-lens photographs. Atmosphere Ocean 18: 254. .
- 1986. The determination of sky-view factors in urban environments using video imagery. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 3: 759–764. , , , .
- 1987. Graphical estimation of sky-view factors in urban environments. Journal of Climatology 7: 193–197. , .
- 1991. An instrument for indirect measurement of canopy architecture. Agronomy Journal 83: 818–825. , .