Changes in total precipitation, rainy days and extreme events in northeastern Italy
Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2001
Copyright © 2001 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 21, Issue 7, pages 861–871, 15 June 2001
How to Cite
Brunetti, M., Maugeri, M. and Nanni, T. (2001), Changes in total precipitation, rainy days and extreme events in northeastern Italy. Int. J. Climatol., 21: 861–871. doi: 10.1002/joc.660
- Issue online: 13 JUN 2001
- Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 26 JAN 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JAN 2001
- Manuscript Received: 14 AUG 2000
- 1986. A homogeneity test applied precipitation data. Journal of Climatology 6: 661–675. .
- 1980. Archivio Storico delle osservazioni meteorologiche. National Research Council (CNR) Report AQ/5/27, Rome. , , .
- 2000a. Variations of temperature and precipitation in Italy from 1866 to 1995. Theory of Applied Climatology 65: 165–174. , , .
- 2000b. Trends of minimum and maximum daily temperatures in Italy from 1865 to 1996. Theory of Applied Climatology 66: 49–60. , , .
- 2000c. Precipitation intensity trends in Northern Italy. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1017–1031. , , , .
- 2001. Trends in the daily intensity of precipitation in Italy from 1951 to 1996. International Journal of Climatology 21: 269–284. , , , .
- 1998. Analysis of Italian monthly precipitation series. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Climate and Water, Espoo, Finland, LemmelaR, HeleniusN (eds); 1090–1098. , , .
- 1999. Precipitation in Italy from 1833 to 1996. Theory of Applied Climatology 63: 33–40. , , .
- 1979. Methods for comparing annual rainfall records for climatic purposes. Weather 34: 332–346. .
- 1996. Change in ‘normal’ precipitation in the North Atlantic region (2nd edn). DNMI Report 7/96 Klima. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1958. Statistics of Extremes. Columbia University Press: New York. .
- 1988. Climatologia fisica e dinamica della Valpadana. E.R.S.A.—Servizio Meteorologico Regionale: Bologna. .
- 1999. Changes in the probability of heavy precipitation: Important indicators of climatic change. Climate Change 42: 243–283. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Regional precipitation quantile values for the continental United States computed from L-moments. Journal of Climate 6: 2326–2340. , , .
- 1999. Australian rainfall changes, 1910–1955. Australian Meteorological Magazine 48: 1–13. , , .
- 1996. IPCC Climate Change. The IPCC Second Assessment Report. Cambridge University Press: New York. , , , , , (eds).
- 1993. A statistical analysis of the extreme events: long-term trend of heavy daily precipitation. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 71: 637–640. , .
- 1955. The frequency distribution of the annual maximum (or minimum) values of meteorological elements. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 87: 158. .
- 1969. Statistics of extremes. Estimation of maximum floods. WMO Technical Note 98. .
- 1995. Trends in high-frequency climate variability in the twentieth century. Nature 377: 217–220. , , .
- 1998. Secular trends of precipitation amount frequency and intensity in the United States. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 231–241. , .
- 1999. Temporal fluctuation in winter and climate extremes that cause economic and human health impact: a review. International Journal of Climatology 80: 1077–1098. , , .
- 1999. Changes in extreme rainfall events in South Africa. Climate Change 41: 249–257. , , , , .
- 1998. Surface air temperature variations in Italy: recent trends and an update to 1993. Theory of Applied Climatology 61: 191–196. , .
- 1999. Reconstruction of heavy rainfall events on the southern part of the alpine region from 1868 to the end of the 19th century. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 24: 637–642. , , , .
- 1999. Workshop on Indices and Indicators for Climate Extremes: Asheville, NC, USA, 3–6 June 1997. Breakout Group B: Precipitation. Climate Change 42: 23–29. , .
- 2000. Observed trends in the daily intensity of United Kingdom precipitation. International Journal of Climatology 20: 347–364. , , , .
- 1997. Signals of climatic change in the central-western Mediterranean basin. Theory of Applied Climatology 58: 211–219. , , .
- 1998. Rainfall over the central-western Mediterranean basin in the period 1951–1995. Part I: precipitation trends. Il Nuovo Cimento 21C: 331–344. , , .
- 1999. Changes in climate extremes over the Australian region and New Zealand during the twentieth century. Climate Change 42: 183–202. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The recent increase in the precipitation rate, as seen in an ultra-centennial series of precipitation. Il Nuovo Cimento 23C: 39–51. , , , , .
- 1997. Climate Trend Atlas of Europe Based on Observations 1891–1990. Kluwer Academic Publishers: Dordrecht. , .
- Servizio Idrografico. 1924–2000. Annali, Istituto Poligrafico dello Stato, Rome.
- 1990. On the statistical analysis of series of observation. WMO Technical Note No. 143, Geneva. .
- 1996. Trends in the intensity and frequency of heavy rainfall in tropical Australia and links with the Southern Oscillation. Australian Meteorology Magazine 45: 1–17. , .
- 1998. Trends in total rainfall, heavy rainfall events and number of dry events in Australia, 1910–1990. International Journal of Climatology 18: 1141–1164. , .
- 1998. Atmospheric moisture residence times and cycling: Implications for rainfall rates with climate change. Climate Change 39: 667–694. .
- 1995. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences. Academic Press: San Diego, CA. .