Reconstruction of the North Atlantic Oscillation, 1429–1983
Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2001
Copyright © 2001 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 21, Issue 12, pages 1453–1465, December 2001
How to Cite
Glueck, M. F. and Stockton, C. W. (2001), Reconstruction of the North Atlantic Oscillation, 1429–1983. Int. J. Climatol., 21: 1453–1465. doi: 10.1002/joc.684
- Issue online: 31 OCT 2001
- Version of Record online: 31 OCT 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 APR 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 26 APR 2001
- Manuscript Received: 31 JUL 2000
- National Science Foundation Paleoclimate Program. Grant Number: ATM9615679
- 1998. North Atlantic Oscillation dynamics recorded in Greenland ice cores. Science 282: 446–449. , , .
- 1993. The North Atlantic Oscillation signature in deuterium and deuterium excess signals in the Greenland Ice Sheet Project 2 ice core, 1840–1970. Geophysical Research Letters 20(24): 2901–2904. , , , , .
- 1987. Classification, seasonality and persistence of low frequency atmospheric circulation patterns. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1083–1126. , .
- 2000. Annual climate variability in the Holocene: Interpreting the message of ancient trees. Quaternary Science Reviews 19: 87–105. .
- 1995. Spatio-temporal patterns of drought in Morocco. International Journal of Climatology 15: 187–205. , , .
- 1992. Spatio-temporal characteristics of drought as inferred from tree-ring data in Morocco. PhD thesis, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. .
- 1985. A time series analysis approach to tree-ring standardization. PhD thesis, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. .
- 1998. The North Atlantic Oscillation and its expression in circum-Atlantic tree-ring chronologies from North America and Europe. The Holocene 8: 9–17. , , .
- 1990. Methods of Dendrochronology: Application in the Environmental Sciences. Kluwer Academic Publishers: Boston, MA. , .
- 2001. Multi-proxy reconstructions of the North Atlantic Oscillation. Paleooceanography 16(1): 27–39. , , .
- 1981. Applied Regression Analysis (2nd edn). Wiley: New York. , .
- 1999. Dendroclimatic reconstructions during the past millennium in the southern Sierra Nevada and Owens Valley, California. In Proceedings of the Southern California Climate Symposium, 25 October 1991. Technical Report Number 11, RoseMR, WigandPE (eds). Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County: Los Angeles; 239–268. , .
- 1988. The Little Ice Age. Routledge: London. .
- 1995. Decadal trends in the North Atlantic Oscillation: Regional temperatures and precipitation. Science 269: 676–679. .
- 1997. Extension to the North Atlantic Oscillation using early instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and southwest Iceland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1433–1450. , , .
- 1996. Reconstruction of past climate from ring-width chronologies of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestri L.) at the northern forest limit in Fennoscandia. University of Joensuu Publications Sciences 40. .
- 1999. Reconstruction of monthly NAO and EU indices back to AD 1675. Geophysical Research Letters 26(17): 2745–2748. , , , , .
- 1994. The accumulation record from the GISP2 core as an indicator of climate change throughout the Holocene. Science 266: 1680–1682. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Dendroclimatic reconstruction with time varying subsets of tree indices. Journal of Climate 10: 687–696. .
- 1984. The past climate and sea ice record from Iceland, Part I, data to 1780. Climatic Change 6: 131–152. .
- 1984. The association between the North Atlantic Oscillation and the Southern Oscillation in the Northern Hemisphere. Monthly Weather Review 112: 1999–2015. .
- 1979. The seesaw in winter temperatures between Greenland and northern Europe. Part II, some oceanic and atmospheric effects in middle and high latitudes. Monthly Weather Review 107: 509–519. , .
- 2000. Can we trust proxy-based NAO index reconstructions? Geophysical Research Letters 27(8): 1135–1138. , , , , .
- The Greenland Summit Ice Cores CD-ROM. 1997. Available from the National Snow and Ice Data Center, University of Colorado at Boulder, and the World Data Center A for Paleoclimatology, National Geophysical Data Center, Boulder, CO.