The Pacific–South American modes and their downstream effects
Version of Record online: 1 AUG 2001
Copyright © 2001 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 21, Issue 10, pages 1211–1229, August 2001
How to Cite
Mo, K. C. and Paegle, J. N. (2001), The Pacific–South American modes and their downstream effects. Int. J. Climatol., 21: 1211–1229. doi: 10.1002/joc.685
- Issue online: 9 AUG 2001
- Version of Record online: 1 AUG 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 APR 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 19 APR 2001
- Manuscript Received: 29 NOV 2000
- 1988. On the functioning of the Southern Oscillation in the South American sector. Part 1: Surface climate. Monthly Weather Review 116: 505–524. .
- 1995. Multidecadal variability in the climate system over the Indian Ocean region during the Austral summer. Journal of Climate 8: 1853–1873. , , .
- 1991. The interaction of multiple time scales in the tropical climate system. Journal of Climate 4: 269–285. .
- 1987. Classification, seasonality and persistence of low frequency atmospheric circulation patterns. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1083–1126. , .
- 1992. Wave-like extratropical Southern Hemisphere teleconnections. Journal of Atmospheric Science 49: 155–177. , , .
- 1983. Persistent anomalies of the extratropical Northern Hemisphere wintertime circulation: Geographical distribution and regional persistent characteristics. Monthly Weather Review 111: 1567–1586. , .
- 1999. Interannual and interdecadal (ENSO-like) variability in the Southern Hemisphere tropospheric circulation. Journal of Climate 12: 2113–2123. , .
- 1995. Analysis of tropical-extratropical interactions with influence functions of a barotropic model. Journal of Atmospheric Science 52: 3538–3555. , .
- 1978. Dynamics of climate hazards in northern Brazil. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 103: 77–92. , .
- 1991. An intercomparison of model and observed global precipitation climatologies. Geophysics Research Lettters 18: 1715–1718. .
- 1999. CAMS-OPI a global satellite-rain gauge merged product for real time precipitation monitoring applications. Journal of Climate 12: 3335–3342. , .
- 1996. The NCEP–NCAR 40 year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Southern Hemisphere circulation features associated with El Niño–Southern Oscillation events. Journal of Climate 2: 1239–1251. .
- 1996. Decadal variations for the Southern Hemisphere circulation. International Journal of Climatology 16: 723–738. , , .
- 1988a. Interannual variations in the Southern Hemisphere circulation. Journal of Climate 1: 1177–1198. .
- 1988b. Indices of the Southern Hemisphere zonal wind. Journal of Climate 1: 183–194. .
- 1999. Principal modes of Southern Hemisphere low frequency variability obtained from NCEP–NCAR reanalysis. Journal of Climate 12: 2808–2830. .
- 1998. Interannual and intraseasonal variability in the Southern Hemisphere. In The Meteorology of the Southern Hemisphere, KarolyDJ, VincentD (eds). American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA; 307–336. , .
- 1989. Global climate anomalies associated with extremes in the Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climate 2: 1069–1090. , .
- 1986. Aspects of the 40–50 day oscillation during the northern summer as inferred from outgoing long wave radiation. Monthly Weather Review 114: 1345–1367. , .
- 1994. Multi-scale low frequency circulation modes in the global atmosphere. Journal of Atmospheric Science 51: 2750–2753. , , .
- 1984. Characteristics of Southern Hemisphere blocking as determined from a time series of observational data. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 110: 967–979. .
- 1996. Description of a complete (interpolated) outgoing longwave radiation dataset. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 1275–1277. , .
- 1986. Tropical extratropical geopotential height teleconnections during the Northern Hemisphere winter. Monthly Weather Review 114: 2488–2515. , .
- 1986. Statistics and dynamics of persistent anomalies. Journal of Atmospheric Science 44: 877–901. , .
- 1998. The Pacific South American modes and tropical convection during the Southern Hemisphere winter. Monthly Weather Review 126: 1581–1598. , .
- 2000. Relationships between interdecadal variability in the Southern Hemisphere and sea surface temperature anomalies. Journal of Climate 13: 3599–3610. .
- 1997. Alternating wet and dry conditions over South America during summer. Monthly Weather Review 125: 279–291. , .
- 2000. Intraseasonal modulation of South American summer precipitation. Monthly Weather Review 128: 837–850. , , .
- 1973. Minimum bias windows for high resolution spectral estimates. IEEE Transmission Information Theory 19: 9–12. .
- 1990. The biennial component of ENSO variability. Journal of Marine Systems 1: 71–96. , , .
- 1999. Blocking over the South Pacific and Rossby wave propagation. Journal of Climate 12: 2233–2247. , .
- 1994. Improved global SST analyses using optimum interpolation. Journal of Climate 7: 929–948. , .
- 2000. Interannual and Interdecadal variability of the South Atlantic convergence zone. Monthly Weather Review 128: 2947–2957. , .
- 1987. Global and regional precipitation patterns associated with the El Niño/Southern Oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 1989. Precipitation patterns associated with the high index phase of the Southern Oscillation. Journal of Climate 2: 268–284. , .
- 1996. A climatology of anti-cyclones and blocking for the Southern Hemisphere. Monthly Weather Review 124: 245–263. .
- 1997. Low frequency variability of Southern Hemisphere sea level pressure and weather system activity. Monthly Weather Review 125: 2531–2543. , , .
- 1996. Reconstruction of historical sea surface temperatures using empirical orthogonal functions. Journal of Climate 9: 1403–1420. , , , .
- 1987a. The vertical structure of monthly fluctuations of the Southern Hemisphere troposphere. Australian Meteorological Magazine 35: 19–30. , .
- 1987b. The horizontal structure of monthly fluctuations of the Southern Hemisphere troposphere. From station data. Australian Meteorological Magazine 35: 119–129. , .
- 1976. A quasi-biennial standing wave in the Southern Hemisphere and interrelations with sea surface temperature. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 101: 55–74. .
- 1985. Blocking in the Southern Hemisphere. Monthly Weather Review 113: 3–21. , .
- 1981. Teleconnections in the geopotential height field during the Northern Hemisphere winter. Monthly Weather Review 109: 784–812. , .
- 1997. ENSO-like interdecadal variability: 1900–93. Journal of Climate 10: 1004–1020. , , .