Problems in evaluating regional and local trends in temperature: an example from eastern Colorado, USA
Version of Record online: 18 APR 2002
Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 22, Issue 4, pages 421–434, 30 March 2002
How to Cite
Pielke SR, R. A., Stohlgren, T., Schell, L., Parton, W., Doesken, N., Redmond, K., Moeny, J., McKee, T. and Kittel, T. G. F. (2002), Problems in evaluating regional and local trends in temperature: an example from eastern Colorado, USA. Int. J. Climatol., 22: 421–434. doi: 10.1002/joc.706
- Issue online: 18 APR 2002
- Version of Record online: 18 APR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 20 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Received: 3 JAN 2001
- USGS. Grant Number: 99CRAG0005-SA-9005CS0014
- 1999. Grassland vegetation changes and nocturnal global warming. Science 283: 229–231. , , .
- 1990. Ecology: Individuals, Populations and Communities. Blackwell Scientific Publications: Boston. , , .
- 1999. Potential impacts on Colorado Rocky Mountain weather due to land use changes on the adjacent Great Plains. Journal of Geophysical Research 104(D14): 16 673–16 690. , , , , .
- 2000. Are there urban heat islands in Colorado? In Colorado Climate, vol. 1(2). Colorado State University: Fort Collins, CO; 20–21. .
- 1995. Colorado Climate water-year series (October 1994–September 1995). Climatology Report 95-1. Department of Atmospheric Science. Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO; 147 pp. , .
- 1999. A comparison of simulations of current climate from two coupled atmosphere–ocean global climate models against observations, and evaluation of their future climates. Report to the NIGEC National Office. NCAR:Boulder. , .
- 1995. Planning for a sustainable future in the Great Plains. In Proceedings of the Symposium: Planning for a Sustainable Future: The Case of the North American Great Plains, , , (eds). IDIC Technical Report Series 95-1; 23–42. , , .
- 2000. Dependence of extreme daily maximum temperatures on antecedent soil moisture in the contiguous United States during summer. Journal of Climate 13: 2641–2651. , , .
- 1996. On the development and use of homogenized climate datasets. Notes and correspondence. Journal of Climate 9: 1429–1434. , , .
- 1999. Satellite-based adjustments for the urban heat island temperature bias. Journal of Applied Meteorology 38: 806–813. , .
- 1999. Temperature trends of the U.S. historical climatology network based on satellite-designated land use/land cover. Journal of Climate 12: 1344–1348. , , , .
- HoughtonJT, JenkinsGJ, EphraumsJJ (eds.). 1990. Climate Change: The IPCC Scientific Assessment. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, MA.
- 1987. An approach to adjusting climatological time series for discontinuous inhomogeneities. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 26: 1744–1763. , .
- 1986. A model to estimate the time of observation bias associated with monthly mean maximum, minimum and mean temperatures for the United States. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 25: 145–160. , , , .
- 1988. Urbanization: its detection and effect in the United States climate record. Journal of Climate 1: 1099–1123. , , .
- 1990. Climatic variability in the shortgrass steppe. In Climate Variability and Ecosystem Response, GreenlandD, SwiftLW (eds). USDA Forest Service, Southwestern Region: Albuquerque, NM; 67–75. .
- 1998. The effect of deforestation on ground surface temperatures. Global and Planetary Change 18: 1–13. .
- 1999. Perspectives: climate change—warm, warm on the range. Science 283: 183. .
- NRC (National Research Council). 1998. Future of the National Weather Service Cooperative Observer Network. National Weather Service Modernization Committee, National Academy Press: Washington, DC.
- 1998. Tropical deforestation and climate change: what does the record reveal? Professional Geographer 50: 140–153. .
- 1998a. An assessment of satellite remotely-sensed land cover parameters in quantitatively describing the climatic effect of urbanization. International Journal of Remote Sensing 19: 1663–1681. , , .
- 1998b. Using DMSP–OLS light frequency data to categorize urban environments associated with US climate observing stations. International Journal of Remote Sensing 19: 3451–3456. , , , .
- 1998. Interactions between the atmosphere and terrestrial ecosystems: influence on weather and climate. Global Change Biology 4: 461–475. , , , , , .
- 1991. Effects of recent thermometer changes in the Cooperative Station Network. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 72: 1718–1723. , , , .
- 1999. Trends of maximum and minimum temperatures in northern South America. Journal of Climate 12: 2104–2112. .
- 2000. Temporal trends in United States dew point temperatures. International Journal of Climatology 20: 985–1002. .
- 1996. Agricultural adaptation to climate change: issues of longrun sustainability. Economic Research Report No. 740. , , , , .
- 1998. Observed changes in the diurnal dewpoint cycles across North America. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 2265–2268. , , .
- 1998. Elk, multiple factors, and persistence of willows in National Parks. Wildlife Society Bulletin 26: 419–428. , , , .
- 1988. Evaluation of vegetation effects on the generation and modification of mesoscale circulations. Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 45: 2268–2292. , , , .
- 1989. The impact of crop areas in northeast Colorado on midsummer mesoscale thermal circulations. Monthly Weather Review 117: 809–825. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The Rocky Mountains. In Status and Trends of the Nation's Biological Resources, vol. 2, MacMJ, OplerPA, Pucket HaeckerCE, DoranPD (eds). Biological Resources Division, US Geological Survey: Reston, VA; 473–504. .
- 1995. Ecosystem trends in the Colorado Rockies. Our Living Resources: A report to the nation on the distribution, abundance, and health of US plants, animals, and ecosystems. National Biological Service, Washington, DC. , , , .
- 1998. Evidence that local land use practices influence regional climate and vegetation patterns in adjacent natural areas. Global Change Biology 4: 495–504. , , , , .
- 1996. Climate Change 1995. Impacts, Adaptations and Mitigation of Climate Change: Scientific–Technical Analyses. Contribution of Working Group II to the Second Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, MA. , , .
- 1996. Changes in climate and hydrochemical responses in a high-elevation catchment in the Rocky Mountains, USA. Limnology and Oceanography 41: 939–946. , , , .
- 1987. A doubling CO2 climate sensitivity experiment with a global climate model including a simple ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research 92: 13 315–13 343. , .
- 1984. Biostatistical Analysis. Prentice–Hall: Englewood Cliffs, NJ. .