Statistical downscaling relationships for precipitation in the Netherlands and North Germany
Version of Record online: 15 MAR 2002
Copyright © 2002 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 15–32, January 2002
How to Cite
Beckmann, B.-R. and Adri Buishand, T. (2002), Statistical downscaling relationships for precipitation in the Netherlands and North Germany. Int. J. Climatol., 22: 15–32. doi: 10.1002/joc.718
- Issue online: 15 MAR 2002
- Version of Record online: 15 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 JUL 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 26 JUL 2001
- Manuscript Received: 8 MAR 2001
- EU Environment Research Programme. Grant Number: ENV5-CT97-0452
- 1999. Simulation of the hydrological cycle over Europe: model validation and impacts of increasing greenhouse gases. Advances in Water Resources 23: 105–119. , .
- 1992. Space–time model for daily rainfall using atmospheric circulation patterns. Water Resources Research 28: 1247–1259. , .
- 2001. KNMI contribution to the European project WRINCLE: downscaling relationships for precipitation for several European sites. Technical Report TR-230. Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute: De Bilt. , .
- 1999. Estimation of precipitation by kriging in the EOF space. Journal of Climate 12: 1070–1085. , , , .
- 1996. KNMI contribution to the European project POPSICLE. Technical Report TR-194. Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute: De Bilt. , .
- 1997. Statistical linkage of daily precipitation in Switzerland to atmospheric circulation and temperature. Journal of Hydrology 198: 98–123. , .
- 2000. Development of daily precipitation scenarios at KNMI. In Climate scenarios for water-related and coastal impacts, , , , (eds). ECLAT-2 Workshop Report No. 3 KNMI, the Netherlands, 10–12 May 2000. CRU: Norwich, UK; 79–91. , .
- 1996. Regression model for generating time series of daily precipitation amounts for climate change impact studies. Stochastic Hydrology and Hydraulics 10: 87–106. , .
- 1999. Large-scale circulation anomalies conducive to extreme precipitation events and derivation of daily rainfall in northeastern Mexico and southeastern Texas. Journal of Climate 12: 1506–1523. .
- 1993. Statistical Models in S. Chapman and Hall: London. , .
- 1999. Validation of downscaling models for changed climate conditions: case study for southwestern Australia. Climate Research 12: 1–14. , , , .
- 1998. The use of weather types and air flow indicies for GCM downscaling. Journal of Hydrology 212–213: 348–361. , .
- 1996. Precipitation and air flow indices over the British Isles. Climate Research 7: 169–183. , , .
- 1999. A weather generator for obtaining daily precipitation scenarios based on circulation patterns. Climate Research 12: 61–75. , , .
- 1995. Downscaling GCM information to regional scales: a non-parametric multivariate regression approach. Climate Dynamics 11: 413–424. , , .
- 1998. Doubled CO2 precipitation changes for the Susquehanna basin: downscaling from the Genesis general circulation model. International Journal of Climatology 18: 65–76. , .
- 1995. Regional climate changes as simulated in time-slice experiments. Climate Change 31: 273–304. , , , .
- 1965. An objective method for forecasting thunderstorms in the Netherlands. Journal of Applied Meteorology 4: 172–177. .
- 1990. Generalized Additive Models. Chapman and Hall: London. , .
- 1997. Changes in daily precipitation under enhanced greenhouse conditions. Climate Dynamics 13: 667–680. , , .
- 1996. Climate downscaling: techniques and application.Climate Research 7: 85–95. , .
- 1997. Simulation of climate change over Europe using a nested regional-climate model. II: comparison of driving and regional model responses to a doubling of carbon dioxide. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 123: 265–292. , , , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. A method of relating general circulation model simulated climate to observed local climate, part I: seasonal statistics. Journal of Climate 3: 1053–1079. , , , , .
- 1998. Predicting rainfall statistics in England and Wales using atmospheric circulation variables. International Journal of Climatology 18: 523–539. , , , .
- 2000. Changing cyclones and surface wind speeds over the North Atlantic and Europe in a transient GHG experiment. Climate Research 15: 109–122. , , .
- KönnenGP (ed.). 1983. Het weer in Nederland. Thieme: Zutphen.
- 1993. Space–time precipitation reflecting climate change. Hydrological Sciences Journal 38: 539–558. , , , .
- 1989. Generalized Linear Models (2nd edn). Chapman and Hall: London. , .
- 2000. Predictions of climate change over Europe using statistical and dynamical downscaling techniques. International Journal of Climatology 20: 489–501. .
- 1980. Goodness of link tests for generalized linear models. Applied Statistics 29: 15–24. .
- 1999. Transient climate change simulations with a coupled atmosphere–ocean GCM including the tropospheric sulfur cycle. Journal of Climate 12: 3004–3032. , , , , .
- 1993. Downscaling of global climate change estimates to regional scales: an application to Iberian rainfall in wintertime. Journal of Climate 6: 1161–1171. , , .
- 1997. Downscaling general circulation model output: a review of methods and limitations. Progress in Physical Geography 21: 530–548. , .
- 1998. Statistical downscaling of hydrometeorological variables using general circulation model output. Journal of Hydrology 205: 1–19. , , .
- 1995. Stochastic characterization of regional circulation patterns for climate model diagnosis and estimation of local precipitation. Journal of Climate 8: 1023–1042. , , , .