Prospects for improved seasonal predictions of monsoon precipitation over Sahel
Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2002
Copyright © 2002 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 331–345, 15 March 2002
How to Cite
Garric, G., Douville, H. and Déqué, M. (2002), Prospects for improved seasonal predictions of monsoon precipitation over Sahel. Int. J. Climatol., 22: 331–345. doi: 10.1002/joc.736
- Issue online: 21 MAR 2002
- Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 OCT 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 28 SEP 2001
- Manuscript Received: 27 FEB 2001
- Commission of the European Communities. Grant Numbers: ENV4-CT97-0500, EUK2-CT-1999-00022
- 1983. A general circulation model study of January climate anomaly pattern associated with interannual variation of equatorial Pacific sea surface temperature. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 40: 1410–1425. , , .
- 1987. Water vapour transport over Africa and the Atlantic Ocean during summer 1979. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 113: 581–602. , .
- 1975. Dynamics of deserts and drought in the Sahel. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 101: 193–202. .
- 1994. The ARPEGE/IFS atmosphere model, a contribution to the French community climate modelling. Climate Dynamics 10: 249–266. , , , .
- Seasonal predictability of tropical rainfall: probabilistic formulation and validation. Tellus. , , , . In press.
- 1996. Comparative influence of land and sea surfaces on the Sahelian drought: a numerical study. Annales Geophysicae 14: 115–130. , .
- 2000. Multi-model spread and probabilistic seasonal forecasts in PROVOST. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 126: 2069–2088. , , .
- 2001. Influence of soil moisture on the Asian and African monsoons. Part II: interannual variability. Journal of Climate in press. .
- 2000. Relevance of soil moisture for seasonal climate predictions: a preliminary study. Climate Dynamics 16: 719–736. , .
- 2000. Importance of vegetation feedbacks in doubled-CO2 time-slice experiments. Journal of Geophysical Research 105: 14 841–14 861. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Influence of soil moisture on the Asian and African monsoons. Part I: mean monsoon and daily precipitation. Journal of Climate 14: 2381–2403. , , .
- 1986. Sahel rainfall and worldwide sea temperatures, 1901–85. Nature 320: 602–607. , , .
- 1991. Prediction of seasonal rainfall in the Sahel region using empirical and dynamical methods. Journal Forecasting 10: 21–56. , , , .
- 1995. Rainfall anomaly patterns and wind field signals over West Africa in August (1958–1989). Journal of Climate 8: 1503–1510. , , .
- 1999. An improvement of June–September rainfall forecasting in the Sahel based upon region April–May moist static energy content (1968–1997). Geophysical Research Letters 26: 2041–2044. , , .
- 1992. AMIP, the Atmospheric Model Intercomparison Project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 73: 1962–1970. .
- 1997. ERA description. ECMWF Reanalysis project report, Series 1. European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecast: Reading, UK; 71 pp. , , , , , .
- 1984. Interannual variability and annual cycle: mechanisms of circulation and climate in the tropical Atlantic sector. Monthly Weather Review 112: 1097–1107. .
- 1995. Recent advances in tropical climate prediction. Journal of Climate 8: 1519–1532. .
- 1992. Spatiotemporal variability of West African rainfall. Part I: regionalizations and typings. Journal of Climate 5: 489–497. .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40 year Reanalysis Project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77:(3): 437–471. , , , , , et al.
- 1977. African rainfall and its relation to the upper air circulation. Quarterly Journal Royal Meteorological Society 103: 441–456. .
- 1978a. Case studies of tropical Atlantic surface circulation patterns during recent sub-Saharan weather anomalies. Monthly Weather Review 106: 482–491. .
- 1978b. Large-scale tropical Atlantic surface circulations patterns associated with Subsaharan weather anomalies. Tellus A30: 240–251. .
- 1983. West African water vapor variations between recent contrasting Subsaharan rainy seasons. Tellus 35: 198–212. .
- 1993. Predictability of seasonal Sahelian rainfall by 1 December of the previous year and 1 June of the current year. In Preprints of the 20th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology, San Antonio. AMS; 473–476. , , , .
- 1986. Effect of a change on surface albedo of the Sahel on climate. Journal Atmospheric Sciences 43: 2418–2429. , .
- 1994. Guinean and Sahelian rainfall anomaly indices at annual and monthly scales (1933–1990). International Journal of Climatology 14: 325–341. .
- 1995. Rainfall variability in subequatorial America and Africa and relationships with the main sea-surface temperature modes (1951–1990). International Journal of Climatology 15: 1297–1322. , , .
- 1998. Skill and reproductibility of seasonal rainfall patterns in the tropics in ECHAM-4 GCM simulations with prescribed SST. Climate Dynamics 14: 83–100. , , , .
- 1984. African mean wind changes between Sahelian wet and dry periods. Journal of Climate 4: 27–33. , .
- 1984. The stability of empirical long-range forecast techniques: a case study. Journal of Climatology and Applied Meteorology 23: 143–147. .
- 1993. An overview of African rainfall fluctuations of the last decade. Journal of Climate 6: 1463–1466. .
- 1994. The prospects for seasonal forecasting—a review paper. Quarterly Journal Royal Meteorological Society 120: 755–793. , .
- A probability and decision-model analysis of PROVOST seasonal multi-model integrations. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society. , , . In press.
- 2000. Comparison of rainfall structures between NCEP/NCAR reanalyses and observed data over tropical Africa. Climate Dynamics 16: 897–915. , , .
- 1998. Importance of land-surface processes for the uncertainties of climate change: a European project. GEWEX News 8: 11–13. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Variability of summer rainfall over tropical north Africa (1906–92): observations and modelling. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 121: 669–704. , , , .
- 1998. Predictability in the midst of chaos: a scientific basis for climate forecasting. Science 282: 728–731. .
- 1983. Numerical simulation of the atmospheric response to equatorial Pacific sea surface temperature anomalies. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 40: 1613–1630. , .
- 1932. World weather V. Memoirs of the Royal Meteorological Society 4: 53–84. , .
- 1998. Diagnosis and short-lead time prediction of summer rainfall in tropical North Africa at interannual and multidecadal timescales. Journal of Climate 11: 3167–3191. .
- 1993. The influence of land surface properties on Sahel climate. Part I: desertification. Journal of Climate 6: 2232–2245. , .
- 1998. The role of vegetation in the dynamics of West African monsoons. Journal of Climate 11: 2078–2096. , .