A 19th century climate chronology for the Kalahari region of central southern Africa derived from missionary correspondence
Article first published online: 13 JUN 2002
Copyright © 2002 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 22, Issue 7, pages 821–841, 15 June 2002
How to Cite
Nash, D. J. and Endfield, G. H. (2002), A 19th century climate chronology for the Kalahari region of central southern Africa derived from missionary correspondence. Int. J. Climatol., 22: 821–841. doi: 10.1002/joc.753
- Issue published online: 13 JUN 2002
- Article first published online: 13 JUN 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 NOV 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 31 OCT 2001
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUL 2001
- British Academy. Grant Number: APN 29960
- 1888. Twenty-five Years in a Wagon. Chapman and Hall: London. .
- 1856. Lake Ngami; or, Explorations and Discoveries During Four Years' Wanderings in the Wilds of South Western Africa. Hurst and Blackett: London. .
- 1875. Notes of Travel in South Africa. Hurst and Blackett: London. .
- 1864. Exploration in Southwest Africa. Longman, Greens and Co.: London. .
- 1986. Drought and economic distress in South Africa in the 1800s. Journal of Interdisciplinary History XVIII: 359–378. .
- 1899. On the South African Frontier. Sampson Low and Marston: London. .
- 1893. Gun and Camera in Southern Africa. Edward Stanford: London. .
- 1824. Travels in the Interior of Southern Africa, Vols 1 and 2. Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green: London. .
- 1971. Travels in the Wilds of Africa: Being the Diary of a Young Scientific Assistant who Accompanied Andrew Smith in the Expedition of 1834–36. A. A. Balkema: Cape Town. .
- 1822. Travels in South Africa, Vols 1 and 2. Missionary Society London: London. .
- 1886. Travels in the Interior of South Africa, Vols 1 and 2. Bell and Daldy: London. .
- 1852. The Wild Sports of Southern Africa. Henry G. Bohn: London. .
- 1993. Luni-solar 18.6- and 10–11-year solar cycle signals in South African rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 13: 237–256. .
- Drought, desiccation and discourse: missionary correspondence and nineteenth century climate change in central southern Africa. Geographical Journal. , . In press.
- 1997. Conflicts over water in “The Little Drought Age” in central Mexico. Environment and History 3: 255–272. , .
- 1895. Twenty Years in Khama's Country and Pioneering among the Batauana of Lake Ngami. Hodder and Stoughton: London. .
- 1855. History of the Colony of Natal. Alexander Heylin: London. .
- 1994. A modulation of the atmospheric annual cycle in the Southern Hemisphere. Tellus A 46: 325–328. , .
- KirkbyPR (ed.). 1940. The Diary of Dr Andrew Smith, Director of the Expedition for Exploring Central Africa, 1834–1836, vol. 2. Van Riebeck Society: Cape Town.
- 1982. Climate, History and the Modern World. Methuen: London. .
- 1999. Change in the association between Indian Ocean sea-surface temperatures and summer rainfall over South Africa and Namibia. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1477–1492. , .
- 1972. Times of Feasts, Times of Famine—A History of Climates Since the Year 1000. George, Allen and Unwin: London. .
- 1866. Adventures in the Far Interior of South Africa. Routledge: London. .
- 1988. South African rainfall, the southern oscillation and a Southern Hemisphere semi-annual cycle. International Journal of Climatology 8: 17–130. .
- 1990. Historical evidence for southern oscillation—southern African rainfall relationships. International Journal of Climatology 10: 679–689. , .
- 1857. Missionary Travels and Researches in South Africa. John Murray: London. .
- 1961. Missionary Correspondence 1841–1856. Chatto and Windus: London. , .
- London Missionary Society. 1862. Report of the Directors to the Sixty-Eighth General Meeting of the Missionary Society, usually called the London Missionary Society, on Thursday, May 15th 1862, Reed and Pardon: London.
- 1899. The History of the London Missionary Society, 1795–1895. Henry Frowde: London. .
- LyeWF (ed.). 1975. Andrew Smith's Journal of his Expedition into the Interior of South Africa, 1834–36. A. A. Balkema: Cape Town.
- 2001. El Nino, climate change, and southern African climate. Environmetrics 12: 327–345. .
- 1997. Climatic variability and change over southern Africa: a reflection on underlying processes. Progress in Physical Geography 21: 23–50. , .
- 2000. Seasonal flooding in the Okavango Delta, Botswana—recent history and future prospects. South African Journal of Science 96: 25–33. , , , .
- 1883. Day-Dawn in Dark Places: A Story of Wanderings and Work in Bechwanaland. Cassell and Company: London. .
- 1887. Austral Africa. 2 Vols. Sampson Low: London. .
- 1987. Historical data and climatic change in Mexico—a review. Geographical Journal 153: 211–222. .
- 1842. Missionary Labours and Scenes in Southern Africa. John Snow: London. .
- 1994. Pre-Colonial Botswana: An Annotated Bibliography and Guide to the Sources. Botswana Society: Gaborone. .
- 1996. On the dry valleys of the Kalahari: documentary evidence of environmental change in central southern Africa. Geographical Journal 162: 154–168. .
- 1978. Climatic variations in the Sahel and other African regions during the past five centuries. Journal of Arid Environments 1: 3–24. .
- 1979. The methodology of historical climatic reconstruction and its application to Africa. Journal of African History 20: 31–49. .
- 1981. The historical climatology of Africa. In Climate and History, WigleyTML, IngramMJ, FarmerG (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 249–270. .
- 2001. A semi-quantitative, regional precipitation data set for studying African climates of the nineteenth century, part 1. Overview of the data set. Climatic Change 50: 317–353. .
- 1986. The quasi-periodic behaviour of rainfall variability in Africa and its relationship to the southern oscillation. Archfür Meteorologie, Geophysic and Bioklimatologie, Series A 34: 311–348. , .
- 1997. The relationship of the El Niño–southern oscillation to African rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 17: 117–135. , .
- 2001. The relationship between El Niño and drought over Botswana. Journal of Climate 14: 323–335. , , .
- 1995. Reconstructing the climate of Mexico from historical records. The Holocene 5: 485–490. , .
- 1988. The Atmosphere and Weather of Southern Africa. Oxford University Press: Cape Town. , .
- 1992. The historical record of El Niño events. In Climate Since AD 1500 (Revised Edition), BradburyRS, JonesP (eds). Chapman and Hall: London; 623–648. , .
- 1978. Historical trends and statistics of the southern oscillation, El Niño and Indonesian droughts. Fishery Bulletin 76: 663–678. , , , .
- 1987. El Niño occurrences over the past four and a half centuries. Journal of Geophysical Research 92(C13): 14 449–14 461. , , .
- 1997a. Interannual variability of south-east African summer rainfall. Part I: relationships with air–sea interaction processes. International Journal of Climatology 17: 235–265. , .
- 1997b. Interannual variability of south-east African summer rainfall. Part II: Modelling the impact of sea-surface temperatures on rainfall and circulation. International Journal of Climatology 17: 267–290. , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with the El Niño/southern oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 1989. Precipitation patterns associated with the high phase of the southern oscillation. Journal of Climate 2: 268–284. , .
- SchaperaI (ed.). 1951. Apprenticeship at Kuruman, Being the Journals and Letters of Robert and Mary Moffat 1820-1828. Chatto and Windus: London.
- 1893. Travel and Adventure in South-East Africa. Rowland Ward: London. .
- 1983. Fluctuations in the level of Lake Ngami: the historical evidence. Botswana Notes and Records 15: 79–84. .
- 1984. An historical note of the outflows of the Okavango Delta system. Botswana Notes and Records 16: 127–130. .
- 1985. The desiccation of Lake Ngami: an historical perspective. Geographical Journal 151: 318–326. .
- 1986. The palaeohydrology of the Okavango Delta: preliminary results. Palaeoecology of Africa 17: 51–58. .
- 1998. Botswana Society Bibliography of Botswana: the Geomorphology of Botswana. Botswana Society: Gaborone. , .
- 1835. Wanderings and Adventures in the Interior of Southern Africa, 1 and 2. Vols Longman and Co.: London. .
- 1981. Mexico in the Little Ice-Age. Journal of Interdisciplinary History XIV: 633–648. .
- 1991. The Kalahari Environment. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , .
- 1827. Travels and Adventures in Southern Africa, vols 1 and 2. Henry Colburn: London. .
- 1987. Climatic Change and Variability in Southern Africa. Oxford University Press: Cape Town. .
- 1975. Secular changes in South African rainfall, 1880–1972. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 101: 817–833. , , .
- 1988a. Climatic change in the Cape Colony, 1820–1900. South African Journal of Science 84: 11. .
- 1988b. 160 years of rainfall in the Cape—has there been a change? South African Journal of Science 84: 724–726. .
- 1989. A documentary-derived climatic chronology for southern Africa, 1820–1900. Climatic Change 14: 291–306. .
- WallisJPR (ed.). 1945. The Matabele Journals of Robert Moffat 1829–1860 vol. 1. Chatto and Windus: London.