Comparison of summer- and winter-time suburban energy fluxes in Christchurch, New Zealand
Article first published online: 24 MAY 2002
Copyright © 2002 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 22, Issue 8, pages 979–992, 30 June 2002
How to Cite
Spronken-Smith, R. A. (2002), Comparison of summer- and winter-time suburban energy fluxes in Christchurch, New Zealand. Int. J. Climatol., 22: 979–992. doi: 10.1002/joc.767
- Issue published online: 18 JUN 2002
- Article first published online: 24 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 7 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Received: 8 NOV 2000
- Canterbury Regional Council. 1997. Christchurch inventory of home heating and motor vehicle emissions. Technical Report. Environmental Management Group. Prepared by NIWA, May 1997, Report No. R97/5.
- 1985. Zero plane displacement and roughness length for tall vegetation, derived from a simple mass conservation hypothesis. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 31: 39–49. , .
- 1992. The suburban energy balance: methodological considerations and results for a mid-latitude west coast city under winter and spring conditions. International Journal of Climatology 12: 481–497. .
- 1995. Comparison of heat fluxes from summertime observations in the suburbs of four North American cities. Journal of Applied Meteorology 34: 873–889. , .
- 1999. Aerodynamic properties of urban areas derived from analysis of surface form. Journal of Applied Meteorology 38: 1262–1292. , .
- 1994. Surface description for urban climate studies: a GIS based methodology. Geocarto International 9: 47–59. , .
- 1986. Aerodynamic roughness over an inhomogeneous ground surface. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 35: 331–348. , .
- 1997. Climate database (CLIDB). National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA) Technical Report 4. .
- 1994. Simplified expressions for vegetation roughness length and zero-plane displacement as a function of canopy height and area index. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 71: 211–216. .
- 1994. Source areas for scalars and scalar fluxes. Boundary-Layer Meteorology 67: 293–318. .
- 1997. Experimental design for flux measurements: matching scales of observations and fluxes. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 87: 179–200. .
- 2002. The air pollution problem in Christchurch—progress and prospects. Clean Air and Environmental Quality 36: 23–28. , , .
- 1996. The Weather and Climate of Australia and New Zealand. Oxford University Press: Melbourne; 476 pp. , .
- 1984. A study of atmospheric circulation over the South Island of New Zealand (1961–1980). Weather and Climate 4: 53–62. , , .
- 1989. Measurements of sensible heat and water vapour fluxes using eddy correlation methods. Final Report to US Army Dugway Proving Grounds. , .
- 1981. Modelling the winter urban heat island over Christchurch, New Zealand. Journal of Applied Meteorology 20: 365–376. , , , .
- 1982. Similarity relations, scaling laws and spectral dynamics. In Atmospheric Turbulence and Air Pollution Modelling, NieuwstadtFTM, van DopH (eds). D. Reidel: Dordrecht, Holland; 37–64. .
- 1994. Temperature normals for New Zealand for the period 1961 to 1990. NIWA Science and Technology Series No. 4, Wellington, 18 pp. , .
- 1997. Dispersion of air pollution in the Christchurch area. Unpublished PhD Thesis, University of Canterbury, New Zealand. .
- 1980. Correction of flux measurements for density effects due to heat and water vapour transfer. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 106: 85–100. , , .