Mesoscale precipitation variability in the region of the European Alps during the 20th century
Version of Record online: 14 MAY 2002
Copyright © 2002 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 22, Issue 9, pages 1049–1074, July 2002
How to Cite
Schmidli, J., Schmutz, C., Frei, C., Wanner, H. and Schär, C. (2002), Mesoscale precipitation variability in the region of the European Alps during the 20th century. Int. J. Climatol., 22: 1049–1074. doi: 10.1002/joc.769
- Issue online: 5 JUL 2002
- Version of Record online: 14 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 17 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Received: 21 MAY 2001
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 21-50546.97
- 1995. Evaluating climate model simulations of precipitation: Methods, problems and performance. Progress in Physical Geography 19: 427–448. , .
- 1986. A homogeneity test applied to precipitation data. Journal of Climatology 6: 661–675. .
- 1996. Bereinigte Zeitreihen. Die Ergebnisse des Projekts KLIMA90. Band 2: Methoden. Tech. Rep. 2.2, MeteoSwiss. (Available from Meteo-Swiss, Krähbühlstrasse 58, CH-8044 Zürich, Switzerland.) , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Combined temperature–precipitation variations in Austria during the instrumental period. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 49: 161–174. , .
- 2001. Austrian long-term climate 1767–2000. Österreichische Beiträge zu Meteorologie und Geophysik 25, ZAMG. (Zentralanst. für Meteorologie und Geodynamik, Wien, Austria.) , , .
- 1994. An analysis of regional climate change in Switzerland. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 49: 135–159. , , , .
- 1999. Estimation of precipitation by kriging in the EOF space of the sea level pressure field. Journal of Climate 12: 1070–1085. , , , .
- 1999. Precipitation in Italy from 1833 to 1996. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 63: 33–40. , , .
- 1998. Very high-resolution regional climate simulations over Scandinavia—present climate. Journal of Climate 11: 3204–3229. , , , .
- 1996. Estimates of climate change in southern Europe derived from dynamical model output. Climate Research 7: 129–149. , , , .
- 1997. Surface observed global land precipitation variations during 1900–88. Journal of Climate 10: 2943–2962. , , .
- 1995. A new method for detecting undocumented discontinuities in climatological time series. International Journal of Climatology 15: 369–377. , .
- 2001. Observed climate variability and change. In IPCC WG I Third Assessment Report. Cambridge University Press: 99–181. , , et al.
- 1998. A precipitation climatology of the Alps from high-resolution rain-gauge observations. International Journal of Climatology 18: 873–900. , .
- 2001. Detection probability of trends in rare events: theory and application of heavy precipitation in the Alpine region. Journal of Climate 14: 1568–1584. , .
- 2000. Climate dynamics and extreme precipitation and flood events in central Europe. Integrated Assessment 1: 281–299. , , , .
- 1997. The interannual variability as a test ground for regional climate simulations over Japan. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 77: 649–672. , , , .
- 2000. The differentiation between grid spacing and resolution and their application to numerical modeling. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 579–580. .
- 1995. Documenting and detecting long-term precipitation trends: where we are and what should be done. Climatic Change 31: 601–622. , .
- 1994. Linking GCM-simulated climatic changes to ecosystem models: case studies of statistical downscaling in the Alps. Climate Research 4: 167–189. , , , .
- 1995. Decadal trends in the Northern Atlantic oscillation—regional temperatures and precipitation. Science 269: 676–679. .
- 1996. Influence of variations in extratropical wintertime teleconnections on Northern Hemisphere temperature. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 665–668. .
- 2000. North Atlantic oscillation (NAO) index—seasonal. http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/cag/NAO/index.html. [Accessed May 2001.] .
- 1997. Decadal variations in climate associated with North Atlantic oscillation. Climatic Change 36: 301–326. , .
- 1997. Extension to the North Atlantic oscillation using early instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and south-west Iceland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1433–1450. , , .
- 1995. Simulation of climate change over Europe using a nested regional climate model. I: assessment of control climate, including sensitivity to location of lateral boundaries. Quarterly Journal of Royal Meteorological Society 123: 265–292. , , .
- 2001. Changes in the anomalies of extreme temperature anomalies in the 20th century at Swiss climatological stations located at different latitudes and altitudes. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 69: 1–12. , .
- 1997. Reduced space optimal analysis for historical data sets: 136 years of Atlantic sea surface temperatures. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: 27 835–27 860. , , , .
- 1996. Interannual variability and regional climate simulations. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 53: 185–209. , , , , .
- 1998. Global-scale temperature patterns and climate forcing over the past six centuries. Nature 392: 779–787. , , .
- 2001. North Atlantic climate variability: Phenomena, impacts and mechanisms. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1863–1898. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Intercomparison and evaluation of precipitation forecasts for MAP seasons 1995 and 1996. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 72: 111–129. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Messnetze und Instrumente. In Der Niederschlag in der Schweiz, No. 31 in Beitr. Z. Geol. Schweiz–Hydrologie, 17–47. , .
- 1989. Skill scores and correlation coefficients in model verification. Monthly Weather Review 117: 572–581. , .
- 1999. An evaluation of statistical and dynamical techniques for downscaling local climate. Journal of Climate 12: 2256–2284. .
- 1999. Representing twentieth-century space–time climate variability. Part I: development of a 1961–90 mean monthly terrestrial climatology. Journal of Climate 12: 829–856. , , .
- 2000. Representing twentieth-century space-time climate variability. Part II: development of 1901–96 monthly grids of terrestrial surface climate. Journal of Climate 13: 2217–2238. , , .
- 1988. Principal Component Analysis in Meteorology and Oceanography. Elsevier: 425 pp. .
- 2001. Wintertime variability of Mediterranean precipitation and its links with large-scale circulation anomalies. Climate Dynamics 17: 457–466. , , .
- 1986. Rotation of principal components. Journal of Climatology 6: 29–35. .
- 1987. Pattern analysis of growing season precipitation in southern Canada. Atmosphere–Ocean 25: 137–158. , .
- 2001. Reconstruction of mesoscale precipitation fields from sparse observations in complex terrain. Journal of Climate 14: 3289–3306. , , .
- A quality tested precipitation data base of monthly Alpine long-term (1901–1995) precipitation time series. Theoretical and Applied Climatology. . In press.
- 1997. Climate Trend Atlas of Europe. Based on Observations 1891–1990. Kluwer Academic Publishers: 228 pp. , .
- 1994. Observed climate trends in Europe 1891–1990. Meteorological Zeitschrift Neue Folge 3: 22–28. , , , .
- 2001. Mean annual and seasonal precipitation in the European Alps 1971–90. In Hydrological Atlas of Switzerland, Landeshydrologie und Geologie: Bern, Switzerland; Plates 2.6 and 2.7. , , , .
- 1985. Correction of precipitation measurements, summary report. In ETH/IAHS/WMO Workshop on the Correction of Precipitation Data, Proceedings; 13–23. .
- 1984. Computer mapping: the SYMAP interpolation algorithm. In Spatial Statistics and Models, GaileGL, WillmottCJ (eds). D.Reidl Publishing: Dordrecht; 133–145. .
- 1996. Reconstruction of historical sea surface temperatures using empirical orthogonal functions. Journal of Climate 9: 1403–1420. , , , .
- 1998. Frequency changes of weather types in the Alpine region since 1945. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 60: 47–61. , , .
- 2001. Physical climate processes and feedbacks. In IPCC WG I Third Assessment Report, 417–470. , et al.
- 1998. Atmospheric moisture residence times and cycling: implications for rainfall rates and climate change. Climatic Change 39: 667–694. .
- 1995. Spatial patterns: EOFs and CCA. In Analysis of Climate Variability, von StorchH, NavarraA (eds). Springer: 227–257. .
- 1999. Statistical Analysis in Climate Research. Cambridge University Press: 513 pp. , .
- 1997. Global climate change and variability and its influence on Alpine climate—concepts and observations. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 58: 221–243. , , , , .
- North Atlantic oscillation—concepts and studies. Surveys of Geophysics. , , , , , , , . In press.
- 2000. Validation of mesoscale precipitation in the NCEP reanalysis using a new gridcell dataset for the northwestern United States. Journal of Climate 13: 1936–1950. , .
- 1997. A principal component and long-term trend analysis of daily precipitation in Switzerland. International Journals of Climatology 17: 1333–1356. , .
- 1998. Statistical downscaling of general circulation model output: a comparison of methods. Water Resources Research 34: 2995–3008. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Small-scale climate maps: a sensitivity analysis of some common assumptions associated with grid-point interpolation and contouring. American Cartographer 12: 5–16. , , .
- 1996. Gauge-based monthly analysis of global land precipitation from 1971 to 1994. Journal of Geophysical Research 101: 19 023–19 034. , , , .
- 1999. The analog method as a simple statistical downscaling technique: comparison with more complicated methods. Journal of Climate 12: 2474–2489. , .