Predicting rainfall in the Dutch Caribbean—more than El Niño?
Version of Record online: 14 AUG 2002
Copyright © 2002 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 22, Issue 10, pages 1219–1234, August 2002
How to Cite
Martis, A., van Oldenborgh, G. J. and Burgers, G. (2002), Predicting rainfall in the Dutch Caribbean—more than El Niño?. Int. J. Climatol., 22: 1219–1234. doi: 10.1002/joc.779
- Issue online: 14 AUG 2002
- Version of Record online: 14 AUG 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JAN 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 3 JAN 2002
- Manuscript Received: 16 MAY 2001
- 1996. Relationships of inter-American rainfall to tropical Atlantic and Pacific SST variability. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 3305–3308. .
- 1999. How ubiquitous is the dipole relationship in the tropical Atlantic sea surface temperatures? Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 7841–7848. .
- 1999. The dependance of Caribbean rainfall on the interaction of the tropical Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Journal of Climate 12: 2093–2103. , .
- 2000. Interannual variability of Caribbean rainfall, ENSO, and the Atlantic Ocean. Journal of Climate 13: 297–311. , , .
- 1984. Interannual variability and annual cycle: mechanisms of circulation and climate in the tropical Atlantic sector. Monthly Weather Review 112: 1097–1107. .
- 1995. Recent advances in tropical climate prediction. Journal of Climate 8: 1519–1532. .
- 1996. Coupled model predictions of ENSO during the 1980s and 1990s at the National Centers for Environmental Prediction. Journal of Climate 9: 3105–3120 (forecasts, URL: www.cdc.noaa.gov). , , .
- 1994. Hemispheric surface air temperature variations: a reanalysis and an update to 1993. Journal of Climate 7: 1794–1802 (data, URL: www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperate). .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Analyses of global sea surface temperature 1856–1991. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 18 567–18 589 (data, URL: ingrid.ldgo.columbia.edu). , , , , , .
- 1989. Global climatic anomalies associated with extremes in the southern oscillation. Journal of Climate 2: 1069–1090. , .
- 1958. On the origin of the dry climate in the northern South American and the southern Caribbean. Scientific Report 10, University of Wisconsin. .
- 1996. Variations of sea surface temperature, wind stress, and rainfall over the tropical Atlantic and South America. Journal of Climate 9: 2464–2479. , .
- 1995. Marine surface temperature: observed variations and data requirements. Climatic Change 31: 559–600. , , .
- 1994. Interdecadal changes of surface temperature since the late 19th century. Journal of Geophysical Research 99: 14 373–14 399 (data, URL: www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperat.htm). , , , .
- 1994. Improved global sea surface analyses using optimum interpolation. Journal of Climate 7: 929–948 (NINO indices, URL: www.cpc.noaa.gov/data/indices/). , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with the El Niño/southern oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 1998. Global seasonal rainfall forecasts using a coupled ocean–atmosphere model. Nature 392: 370–373. , , , .
- 1981. The Earth's Problem Climate. University of Wisconsin. .
- 2001. The effects of El Niño on precipitation and temperature, an update. KNMI preprint 2001-07. The KNMI Climate Explorer is available at climexp.knmi.nl. , .
- 1992. The global historical climatology network: long-term monthly temperature, precipitation, sea level pressure, and station pressure data. Technical Report NDP-041 Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory Oak Ridge, TN, USA. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences: an Introduction. Academic Press: 464 pp. .