Millennial to multi-decadal variability in the climate of southern Africa
Version of Record online: 5 JUL 2002
Copyright © 2002 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 22, Issue 9, pages 1105–1117, July 2002
How to Cite
Tyson, P. D., Cooper, G. R. J. and McCarthy, T. S. (2002), Millennial to multi-decadal variability in the climate of southern Africa. Int. J. Climatol., 22: 1105–1117. doi: 10.1002/joc.787
- Issue online: 5 JUL 2002
- Version of Record online: 5 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 FEB 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 1 FEB 2002
- Manuscript Received: 29 JUN 2000
- University of Witwatersrand
- 1976. Cyclic climatic variations in climate over the past 5,500 yr reflected in raised bogs. Science 263: 281–284. .
- 1976. The temporal variation of rainfall over the summer rainfall region of South Africa. South African Journal of Science 72: 276–278. , .
- 1995. Floods, droughts and climate change. South African Journal of Science 91: 403–408. .
- 2000. ENSO and climate variability in the last 150 years. In El Niño and the Southern Oscillation: Multiscale Variability, Global and Regional Impacts, DiazH, MarkgrafV (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 3–56. .
- 1996. El Niño Southern Oscillation and Climatic Variability. CSIRO Publishing: Melbourne; 405 pp. , , .
- 1997. Time scales and trends in the central England data (1659–1990): a wavelet analysis. Geophysical Research Letters 24: 1351–1354. , , , .
- 1999. Holocene periodicity in North Atlantic climate and deep flow south of Iceland. Nature 397: 515–517. , .
- 1995. A wavelet analysis of Plio-Plistocene climate indicators: a new view of periodicity evolution. Geophysical Research Letters 22: 2753–2756. , , .
- 1997. Pervasive millennial-scale cycle in North Atlantic Holocene and Glacial climates. Science 278: 1257–1266. , , , , , .
- 1999. The North Atlantic's 1–2 kyr climate rhythm: relation to Heinrich Events, Dansgaard/Oeschger Cycles and the Little Ice Age. In Mechanisms of Global Climate Change at Millennial Time Scales. Geophysical Monograph 112. American Geophysical Union: 35–58. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Persistent solar influence on North Atlantic climate during the Holocene. Science 294: 2130–2136. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Fennoscandian summers from AD 500: temperature changes on short and long time-scales. Climate Dynamics 7: 111–119. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Weather Cycles, Real or Imaginary? Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 201 pp. .
- 1997. A 5500-year proxy-climate and vegetational record from blanket mire at Talla Moss, Borders, Scotland. The Holocene 7: 391–400. , , , .
- 2000. Evidence of 550-year and 1000-year cyclicities in North Atlantic circulation patterns during the Holocene. The Holocene 10: 297–291. , .
- 1987. The application of a present-day climatic model to the late Quaternary in southern Africa. Climatic Change 10: 161–181. , , .
- 1990. Things I have learned (so far). American Psychology 45: 378–399. .
- 1973. Climate record revealed by the Camp Century ice core. In The Late Cenozoic Ice Ages TurekianKK (ed.). Yale University Press: New Haven; 43–44. , , , .
- 1990. The wavelet transform time–frequency localization and signal analysis. IEEE Transformation Theory 36: 961–1004. .
- 1992. Ten Lectures on Wavelets. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics: 357 pp. .
- 1999. Interannual Rainfall Variability in the Summer Rainfall Region of Southern Africa. Unpublished MSc Report. University of the Witwatersrand: Johannesburg; 31 pp. .
- 1980. A climatologically-responsive tree-ring record from Widdringtonia cedarbergensis, Cape Province, South Africa. Nature 286: 796–797. , .
- 1992. Wavelet transforms and their applications to turbulence. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 24: 394–457. .
- 1993. Criteria and methods for performing and evaluating solar–weather studies. Journal of Climate 6: 373–385. , .
- 1984. Worldwide marine temperature fluctuations 1856–1981. Nature 310: 670–673. , , .
- 1998. Large scale modes of ocean surface temperature since the late nineteenth century. Climate Research Technical Note CRTN18, Hadley Centre, Meteorological Office, Bracknell, UK, 21 pp. , , , .
- 1995. Secular changes of annual and interannual variability in the tropics during the past century. Journal of Climate 8: 864–876. , .
- 1976. Dendroclimatology, rainfall and human adaptation in the later Iron Age of Natal and Zululand. Annals of the Natal Museum 22: 693–703. .
- 1999. A wavelet characterization of the North Atlantic oscillation variation and its relationship to the North Atlantic sea surface temperature. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1119–1129. , , .
- 1999. A 3000-year high-resolution stalagmite record of palaeoclimate for north-eastern South Africa. Holocene 9: 295–309. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A preliminary 3000-year regional temperature reconstruction for South Africa. South African Journal of Science 97: 49–51. , , , .
- 1997. The Role of the Sun in Climate Change. Oxford University Press: New York; 279 pp. , .
- 1991. Paleoclimate of the past 4000 years at Lake Turkana, Kenya, based on the isotopic composition of authigenic calcite. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 85: 189–198. , , .
- 1992. Spatial structure and interannual variability of summer convection over southern Africa and the SW Indian Ocean. South African Journal of Science 88: 275–280. , , .
- 1971. Rainfall Spectra and the Delimitation of Rainfall Regimes in South Africa. Unpublished MSc thesis. University of the Witwatersrand: Johannesburg; 138 pp. .
- 1995. Climate signal detection using wavelet transform: how to make a time series sing. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 76: 2391–2402. , .
- 2001. Rapid climate shifts in the southern African interior throughout the mid to late Holocene. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 4507–4510. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Productivity cycles of 200–300 years in the Antarctic Peninsula region: understanding linkages among the sun, atmosphere, oceans sea ice and biota. Geological Society of America Bulletin 108: 1626–1644. , , , , , .
- 1988. South African rainfall, the southern oscillation and a Southern Hemisphere annual cycle. Journal of Climatology 8: 17–30. .
- 1994. Global-scale modes of surface temperature variability on interannual to century time scales. Journal of Geophysical Research 99: 25 819–25 833. , .
- 1996. Joint spatiotemporal modes of surface temperature and sea level pressure variability in the Northern Hemisphere during the last century. Journal of Climate 9: 2137–2162. , .
- 1990. Temporal variability of sea surface temperatures around southern Africa: a possible forcing mechanism for the eighteen-year rainfall oscillation? South African Journal of Science 86: 243–252. .
- 1996. Rainfall trends over the Lowveld of South Africa. Climatic Change 32: 35–54. .
- 1997. Climatic variability and change over southern Africa: a reflection on underlying processes. Progress in Physical Geography 21: 23–50. , .
- 1993. A note on the modulation of southern oscillation–southern African rainfall associations with the quasi-biennial oscillation. Journal of Geophysical Research 98: 8847–8850. , .
- 1999. The occurrence and predictability of droughts over southern Africa. In Drought, A Global Assessment, vol. 1, WilhiteDA (ed.). Routledge: London; 113–134. , .
- 1999. Changes in extreme rainfall events in South Africa. Climatic Change 41: 249–257. , , , , .
- 1999. Seasonal flooding in the Okavango Delta—recent history and prospects. South African Journal of Science 96: 25–33. , , , .
- 1996. Climatic variability and outlooks for maize production in South Africa. MSc thesis, University of the Witwatersrand, 78 pp .
- 1988. Winter rainfall over the interior of South Africa during extreme dry years. South African Geographical Journal 70: 20–30. , .
- 1983. Seasonal rainfall fluctuations in Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe Agricultural Journal 80: 149–150. , , .
- 2000. The insignificance of significance testing. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 981–986. .
- 1985. Spring flow and tufa accretion at Taung. In Past, Present and Future of Hominid Evolution, TobiasPV (ed.). Alan R. Liss: New York; 171–182. .
- 1999. Heavy rain events over South Africa. In 15th Annual Conference of the South African Society for Atmospheric Sciences, Richards Bay, 18–19 November. .
- 1993. A 2000-year tree ring record of annual temperatures in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Science 259: 1433–1436. .
- 1980. Cambridge Encyclopedia of Archaeology. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. .
- 1989. Atmospheric 14C and century-scale solar oscillations. Nature 338: 405–408. , .
- 1993. Sun, ocean, climate and atmospheric 14CO2: an evaluation and spectral relationships. The Holocene 3: 289–305. , .
- 1995. The GISP2 record of the past 16,500 years and the role of the sun, ocean and volcanoes. Quaternary Research 44: 341–354. , , .
- 1990. The 14C record in bristlecone pine of the last 8000 years based on the dendrochronology of the late C. W. Ferguson. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series A Mathematical and Physical Sciences 330: 403–412. , .
- 1996. Ring width variation in a specimen of South African Podocarpus, circa 1350–1937 AD. Palaeoecology of Africa 24: 233–240. .
- 2000. A sectioned yellowwood tree trunk housed at the Transvaal Museum, Pretoria. Annals of the Transvaal Museum 37: 131–137. , .
- 1997. Tropical climate instability: the last glacial cycle from a Quinghai–Tibetan ice-core. Science 276: 1821–1825. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. A practical guide to wavelet analysis. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 61–78. , .
- 1999. Interdecadal changes in the ENSO–monsoon system. Journal of Climate 12: 2679–2690. , .
- 1971. Spatial variation of rainfall spectra in South Africa. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 61: 711–720. .
- 1986. Climatic Change and Variability in Southern Africa. Oxford University Press: Cape Town; 220 pp. .
- 1999. Late-Quaternary and Holocene palaeoclimates of southern Africa: a synthesis. South African Journal of Geology 102: 335–349. .
- 2000. The evolution of Cenozoic climates. In The Cenozoic of Southern Africa, PartridgeTC, MaudRR (eds). Oxford University Press: New York; 406 pp. , .
- 2000. Weather and Climate of Southern Africa. Oxford University Press: Cape Town; 396 pp. , .
- 1975. Secular changes in South African rainfall: 1880 to 1972. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 101: 817–833. , , .
- 2000. The Little Ice Age and medieval warming in South Africa. South African Journal of Science 96: 121–126. , , , .
- 1985. An investigation into wet and dry cycles of rainfall in South Africa. Report to Hydrology Engineering Division, Electricity Supply Commission, Sandton, 39 pp. .
- 1999. Statistical Analysis in Climate Research. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 484 pp. , .
- 1996. Temporal structure of the southern oscillation as revealed by waveform and wavelet analysis. Journal of Climate 9: 1586–1598. , .
- 1994. Wavelets, period doubling and time–frequency localization with application to organization of convection over the tropical western Pacific. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 51: 2523–2541. ,