Cool-season precipitation in the southwestern USA since AD 1000: comparison of linear and nonlinear techniques for reconstruction
Article first published online: 22 NOV 2002
Copyright © 2002 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 22, Issue 13, pages 1645–1662, 15 November 2002
How to Cite
Ni, F., Cavazos, T., Hughes, M. K., Comrie, A. C. and Funkhouser, G. (2002), Cool-season precipitation in the southwestern USA since AD 1000: comparison of linear and nonlinear techniques for reconstruction. Int. J. Climatol., 22: 1645–1662. doi: 10.1002/joc.804
- Issue published online: 22 NOV 2002
- Article first published online: 22 NOV 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 2 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Received: 18 JUN 2001
- US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Grant Numbers: NA 87GP0061, NA 66GP0311
- 2000. The near-1600 dry/wet knock-out: linking terrestrial and near-shore ecosystems. In Proceedings of the 24th Annual Climate Diagnostics and Prediction Workshop, Springfield, VA; 76–79. , , , , .
- 1983. Simulated Anasazi storage behavior using crop yields reconstructed from tree-rings: A.D. 652–1968. PhD dissertation, The University of Arizona, Tucson. University microfilms, Ann Arbor. .
- 1997. Downscaling large-scale circulation to local winter rainfall in northeastern Mexico. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1069–1082. .
- 1999. Large-scale circulation anomalies conducive to extreme events and simulation of daily precipitation in northeastern Mexico and southeastern Texas. Journal of Climate 12: 1506–1523. .
- 2000. Using self-organizing maps to investigate extreme events: an application to wintertime precipitation in the Balkans. Journal of Climate 13: 1718–1732. .
- 1998. Decadal variability of precipitation over western North America. Journal of Climate 11: 3148–3166. , , , .
- 1991. A 1000-year record of winter precipitation from northwestern New Mexico, USA: a reconstruction from tree-rings and its relation to El Niño and the southern oscillation. Holocene 1: 95–101. , .
- 1978. Expanded Tree-ring Chronologies for the Southwestern United States. Chronology Series III. Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, The University of Arizona: Tucson. , .
- 1998. North-South precipitation patterns in Western North America on interannual-to-decadal timescales. Journal of Climate 11: 3095–3111. , , , .
- 1983. Drought in the United States — some aspects of major dry and wet periods in the contiguous United States, 1895–1981. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 22: 3–16. .
- 2000. On the use of neural networks for dendroclimatic reconstructions. Geophysical Research Letters 27(6): 791–794. , , .
- 1969. A 7104-year annual tree-ring chronology for bristlecone pine, Pinus aristata, from the White Mountains, California. Tree-Ring Bulletin 29: 1–29. .
- 1976. Tree Rings and Climate. Academic Press: New York. .
- 1971. Multivariate techniques for specifying tree-growth and climate relationships and for reconstructing anomalies in paleoclimate. Journal of Applied Meteorology 10(5): 845–864. , , , .
- 1991. Climatic variation and tree-ring structure in conifers: empirical and mechanistic models of tree-ring width, number of cells, cell size, cell wall thickness and wood density. Climate Research 1: 97–116. , , , .
- 1998. ENSO influence on intraseasonal extreme rainfall and temperature frequencies in the contiguous United States: observations and mode results. Journal of Climate 11: 1575–1586. , .
- 1996. NevProp software, version 3. University of Nevada: Reno, NV. http://brain.unr.edu/publications/NevPropManual.pdf. Last accessed 4 September 2002. .
- 1982. Verification of dendroclimatic reconstructions. In Climate from Tree Rings, HughesMK, KellyPM, PilcherJR, LaMarcheJrVC (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge: 58–61. .
- 1991. Subalpine tree growth, climate, and increasing CO2: an assessment of recent growth trends. Ecology 72: 1–11. .
- 1993. A 1000-year record of temperature and precipitation in the Sierra Nevada. Quaternary Research 39(2): 249–255. .
- 1986. Reconstruction of annual temperature (1590–1979) for Longmire, Washington, derived from tree rings. Quaternary Research 25: 223–234. , .
- 1987. A network of high elevation conifers in the western US for detection of tree-ring growth response to increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Ecological Aspects of Tree-Ring Analysis, , (eds). US Department of Energy, Publication CONF-8608144; 463–474. .
- 1996. A 2129-year reconstruction of precipitation for northwestern New Mexico, USA. In Tree Rings, Environment, and Humanity. Radiocarbon 1996, DeanJS, MekoDM, SwetnamTW (eds). Department of Geosciences, The University of Arizona: Tucson; 191–204. .
- 1995. Dendroclimatology and dendroecology in the Pinaleno Mountains. In Storm over a Mountain Island: Conservation Biology and the Mt. Graham Affair, IstockCA, HoffmanRS (eds). The University of Arizona Press: Tucson; 100–120. , .
- 1995. Relational database in dendroclimatology and new non-linear methods to analyze the tree response to climate and pollution. In Tree Rings: from the Past to the Future. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Asian and Pacific Dendrochronology, , , , , (eds). Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute Scientific Meeting Report vol. 1; 17–23. , , .
- 1992. Drought frequency in central California since 101 B.C. recorded in giant sequoia tree rings. Climate Dynamics 6: 161–167. , .
- 1996. Multimillennial dendroclimatic studies from the western United States. In Climatic Variations and Forcing Mechanisms of the Last 2000 Years, JonesPD, BradleyRS, JouzelJ (eds). NATO ASI Series I41; Springer-Verlag: Berlin Heidelberg; 109–124. , .
- 1983. Historical Climatological Series, 6-1. NCDC: Asheville, NC. , , , .
- 1997. Climatic effect of atmospheric CO2 doubling on radial tree growth in southeastern France. Journal of Biogeography 24: 857–864. , , .
- 1996. Contributor of the International Tree-Ring Data Bank, IGBP PAGES/World Data Center for Paleoclimatology, NOAA/NGDC Paleoclimatology Program, Boulder, CO, USA. .
- 1994. Causes of decadal climate variability over the North Pacific and North America. Science 266: 634–637. , .
- 1996. Decadal climate variability over the North Pacific and North America: dynamics and predictability. Journal of Climate 9: 2407–2423. , .
- 1996. Patterns and processes of treeline forest response to late Holocene climate change in the Sierra Nevada, California. PhD dissertation, The University of Arizona, Tucson. .
- 1997. Holocene dynamics of treeline forests in the Sierra Nevada. Ecology 78(4): 1199–1210. , .
- 1997. A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78(6): 1069–1079. , , , , .
- 1995. The tree-ring record of severe sustained drought. Water Resources Bulletin 31: 789–801. , , .
- 2000. Analysis and reconstruction of the relationship between a circulation anomaly feature and tree rings: linear and nonlinear approaches. PhD dissertation, The University of Arizona. .
- 2000. Dendroclimatology in the San Francisco Peaks region of northern Arizona, USA. PhD Dissertation, The University of Arizona. .
- 1968. Shifting for survival in the Spanish southwest. New Mexico Historical Review XLIII(4): 291–310. .
- 1956. Dendroclimatic Changes in Semiarid America. The University of Arizona Press: Tucson, AZ. .
- 1958. Bristlecone pine, oldest known living thing. National Geographic Magazine 113(3): 354–372. .
- 2000. Tree-ring data document 16th century megadrought over North America. EOS 81(12): 124–125. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Mesoscale disturbance and ecological response to decadal climatic variability in the American southwest. Journal of Climate 11: 3128–3147. , .
- 1993. Multicentury, regional-scale patterns of western spruce budworm outbreaks, Sangre de Cristo Mountains, New Mexico, southwestern US. Ecological Monographs 63(4): 399–424. , .
- 1984. On the average value of correlated time series, with applications in dendroclimatology and hydrometeorology. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 23: 201–213. , , .
- 1981. On the validation of models. Physical Geography 2(2): 184–194. .
- 1999. Artificial neural networks and dendroclimatic reconstructions: an example from the Front Range, Colorado, USA. Holocene 9(5): 521–529. .
- 1999. Modeling tree-ring growth response to climatic variables using artificial neural networks. Forest Science 46(2): 229–239. , , , .
- 1997. ENSO-like interdecadal variability: 1900–93. Journal of Climate 10: 1004–1020. , , .