Links between circulation and changes in the characteristics of Iberian rainfall
Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2002
Copyright © 2002 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 22, Issue 13, pages 1593–1615, 15 November 2002
How to Cite
Goodess, C. M. and Jones, P. D. (2002), Links between circulation and changes in the characteristics of Iberian rainfall. Int. J. Climatol., 22: 1593–1615. doi: 10.1002/joc.810
- Issue online: 22 NOV 2002
- Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 21 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Received: 4 SEP 2000
- Commission of the European Union. Grant Number: ENV4-CT97-0530
- UK Natural Environment Research Council. Grant Number: NER/B/S/2000/00665
- ACCORD. 2000. Atmospheric Circulation Classification and Regional Downscaling. Final report to the European Commission (DXII), Brussels. http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/projects/accord/contents.htm. [Last accessed 6 August 2002].
- 1999. Dependence of precipitation on temperature at Florence and Livorno (Italy). Climate Research 12: 53–63. , .
- 1995. Downscaling GCM information to regional scales: a non-parametric multivariate regression approach. Climate Dynamics 11: 413–424. , , .
- 1998. Regional climate change in Portugal: precipitation variability associated with large-scale atmospheric circulation. International Journal of Climatology 18: 619–635. , , .
- 1999. Circulation patterns, daily precipitation in Portugal and implications for climate change simulated by the second Hadley Centre GCM. Climate Dynamics 15: 921–935. , , .
- 1996. Estimates of climate change in southern Europe using different downscaling techniques. Climate Research 7: 129–149. , , , .
- 2001. Bayesian hazard analysis of heavy precipitation in eastern Spain. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1263–1279. , .
- 1998. Spatial and temporal patterns of precipitation in Spain for the period 1880–1992. International Journal of Climatology 18: 1557–1574. , , .
- 2000. Multi-annual drought episodes in the Mediterranean (Valencia region) from 1950–1996. A spatio-temporal analysis. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1599–1618. , , .
- 1998. Heavy precipitation processes in a warmer climate. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 1431–1434. , , , .
- 2001. Spatial distribution of seasonal rainfall trends in a western Mediterranean area. International Journal of Climatology 21: 843–860. , , , .
- 2000. Agreement between observed rainfall trends and climate change simulated in the southwest of Europe. Journal of Climate 13: 3057–3065. , , , .
- 2000. The construction of daily rainfall scenarios for mediterranean sites using a circulation-type approach to downscaling. PhD Thesis, University of East Anglia, Norwich. .
- 1998. Development of daily rainfall scenarios for southeast Spain using a circulation-type approach to downscaling. International Journal of Climatology 18: 1051–1083. , .
- 2002. Local and regional responses to global climate change in S.E. Spain. In Mediterranean Desertification: A Mosaic of Processes and Responses, GeesonNA, BrandtCJ, ThomesJB (eds). Wiley: London; 247–268. , .
- 1991. Simulation of precipitation by weather type analysis. Water Resources Research 27: 493–501. , , , .
- 1996. Climate downscaling: techniques and application. Climate Research 7: 85–95. , .
- 1995. Decadal trends in the North Atlantic oscillation: regional temperatures and precipitation. Science 269: 676–679. .
- 1997. Decadal variations in climate associated with the North Atlantic oscillation. Climatic Change 36: 301–326. , .
- 1987. Variations of trough positions and precipitation patterns in the Mediterranean area. Journal of Climatology 7: 453–476. .
- 1977. An initial climatology of gales over the North Sea. Synoptic Climatology Branch Memorandum No. 62. Meteorological Office: London. , .
- 1993. A comparison of Lamb circulation types with an objective classification scheme. International Journal of Climatology 13: 655–663. , , .
- 1997. Extension to the North Atlantic oscillation using early instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and south-west Iceland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1433–1450. , , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Circulation indices over the Mediterranean and Europe and their relationship with rainfall conditions across the Mediterranean. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 54: 125–138. , , .
- 1970. The climate of the Iberian Peninsula. In Climates of Northern and Western Europe, WallénCC (ed.). World Survey of Climatology, vol. 5. Elsevier: Amsterdam; 195–239. .
- 1988. Changes in precipitation conditions in the western Mediterranean over the last century. Journal of Climatology 8: 179–189. .
- 2001. North Atlantic climate variability: phenomena, impacts and mechanisms. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1863–1898. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Limitations of an objective weather-typing system for the Iberian peninsula. Weather 56: 248–250. .
- 1999. Regionalization of peninsular Spain based on the length of dry spells. International Journal of Climatology 19: 537–555. , .
- 1987. Characteristics and frequency of reversals in mean sea level pressure in the North Atlantic sector and their relationship to long-term temperature trends. Journal of Climatology 7: 13–30. , , , .
- 1997. Control of atmospheric export of dust from North Africa by the North Atlantic oscillation. Nature 387: 691–694. , , , .
- 2000. Observed trends in the daily intensity of United Kingdom precipitation. International Journal of Climatology 20: 347–364. , , , .
- 1996. Climate and climatic change. In Mediterranean Desertification and Land Use, BrandtCJ, ThornesJB (eds). Wiley: London; 43–86. , , , , .
- Generating rainfall and temperature scenarios at multiple-sites: examples from the Mediterranean. Journal of Climate. , , , . In press.
- 2001. Assessments of the reliability of NCEP circulation data and relationships with surface climate data by direct comparisons with station based temperature, precipitation and mean sea level pressure data. Climate Research 17: 247–261. , , , , .
- 1997. Variations in seasonal rainfall in southern Europe during the present century: relationships with the North Atlantic oscillation and the El Niño-Southern oscillation. Climate Dynamics 19: 275–284. , , .,
- 1998. Spatial and temporal patterns of annual precipitation variability over the Iberian Peninsula. International Journal of Climatology 18: 299–316. , , , .
- 1998. A 30-year (1964–1993) daily rainfall data base for the Spanish Mediterranean regions: first exploratory study. International Journal of Climatology 18: 541–560. , , , .
- 1999a. Daily rainfall patterns in the Spanish Mediterranean area: an objective classification. International Journal of Climatology 19: 95–112. , , .
- 1999b. A classification of the atmospheric circulation patterns producing significant daily rainfall in the Spanish Mediterranean area. International Journal of Climatology 19: 765–785. , , , .
- 1996. Surrogate climate-change scenarios for regional climate models. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 669–672. , , , .
- 1997. A statistical model to downscale local daily temperature extremes from synoptic-scale atmospheric circulation patterns in the Australian region. Climate Dynamics 13: 223–234. , .
- 1999. Monthly modes of variation of precipitation over the Iberian Peninsula. Journal of Climate 12: 2894–2919. , , , , .
- 2000. The application of an objective weather-typing system to the Iberian peninsula. Weather 55: 375–385. .
- 2001. Precipitation seasonality in eastern and southern coastal Spain. International Journal of Climatology 21: 219–247. , , .
- 2000. Circulation weather types and their influence on the precipitation regime in Portugal. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1559–1581. , .
- 2001. Precipitation scenarios over Iberia: a comparison between direct GCM output and different downscaling techniques. Journal of Climate 14: 4422–4446. , .
- 2000. Decline in Mediterranean rainfall caused by weakening of Mediterranean cyclones. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 2913–2916. , , .
- 1978. The seesaw in winter temperatures between Greenland and northern Europe. Part I: general description. Monthly Weather Review 106: 296–310. , .
- 1999. On the use of “inflation” in statistical downscaling. Journal of Climate 12: 3505–3506. .
- 1993. Downscaling of global climate change estimates to regional scales: an application to Iberian rainfall in wintertime. Journal of Climate 6: 1161–1171. , , .
- 1997. A principal component and long-term analysis of daily precipitation in Switzerland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1333–1356. , .
- 1998. Statistical downscaling of general circulation model output: a comparison of methods. Water Resources Research 34: 2995–3008. , , , , , , .
- 2002. SDSM — a decision support tool for the assessment of regional climate change impacts. Environmental Modelling and Software 17: 147–159. , , .
- 1997. On the relationships between daily circulation patterns and precipitation in Portugal. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: 13 495–13 507. , , .
- 1999. The analog method as a simple statistical downscaling technique: comparison with more complicated methods. Journal of Climate 12: 2474–2489. , .