Atmospheric mechanisms governing the spatial and temporal variability of phenological phases in central Europe
Article first published online: 22 NOV 2002
Copyright © 2002 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Special Issue: Phenology and Climate
Volume 22, Issue 14, pages 1739–1755, 30 November 2002
How to Cite
Scheifinger, H., Menzel, A., Koch, E., Peter, C. and Ahas, R. (2002), Atmospheric mechanisms governing the spatial and temporal variability of phenological phases in central Europe. Int. J. Climatol., 22: 1739–1755. doi: 10.1002/joc.817
- Issue published online: 22 NOV 2002
- Article first published online: 22 NOV 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUN 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 17 APR 2002
- Manuscript Received: 19 FEB 2002
- European Commission. Grant Number: EVK2-CT-1999-00012
- 1997. Variations of snow depth and duration in the Swiss Alps over the last 50 years: links to changes in large-scale climatic forcings. Climatic Change 36: 281–300. .
- 1997. Climatic change at high elevation sites: an overview. Climatic Change 36: 233–251. , , .
- 2001. Regional temperature variability in the European Alps: 1760–1998 from homogenized instrumental time series. International Journal of Climatology 21(14): 1779–1801. , , , , , .
- 2000. Sensitivity of climate to changes in NDVI. Journal of Climate 13: 2277–2292. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Response of tree phenology to climate change across Europe. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 108: 101–112. , .
- 2002. Annual and spatial variability of the beginning of growing season in Europe in relation to air temperature changes. Climate Research 19: 257–264. , .
- 1999. The Arctic and Antarctic oscillations and their projected changes under global warming. Geophysical Research Letters 26(11): 1601–1604. , , .
- 1995. Decadal trends in the North Atlantic oscillation: regional temperatures and precipitation. Science 269: 676–679. .
- 1996. Influence of variations in extratropical wintertime teleconnections on Northern Hemisphere temperatures. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 665–668. .
- 2000. Space-time variations of climatic seasons and their correlation with the phenological development of nature in Estonia. Climate Research 15(3): 207–219. , .
- 1997. Extension to the North Atlantic oscillation using early instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and south-west Iceland. International Journal of Climatology 17: 1433–1450. , , .
- 2002. Climate change scenarios at Austrian National Forest Inventory sites. Climate Research 22(2): 161–173. , , , , , .
- 2000. Trends in phenological phases in Europe between 1951 and 1996. International Journal of Biometeorology. 44(2): 76–81. .
- 1999. Growing season extended in Europe. Nature 397: 659. , .
- 2001. Spatial and temporal variability of the phenological seasons in Germany from 1951 to 1996. Global Change Biology 7: 657–666. , , .
- 1999. Climatic variability, plant phenology, and northern ungulates. Ecology 80(4): 1322–1399. , .
- 1992. Praktische Statistik für Meteorologen und Geowissenschaftler. Gebrüder Bornträger: Stuttgart. .
- 1999. Decadal changes in the atmospheric circulation and associated surface climate variations in the Northern Hemisphere winter. Journal of Climate 12: 494–510. , .
- 1997. 20th–century changes of temperature in the mountain regions of Central Europe. Climatic Change 36: 327–344. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Variations in northern vegetation activity inferred from satellite data of vegetation index during 1981 to 1999. Journal of Geophysical Research 106(D17): 20–069. , , , , , .