A drought climatology for Europe
Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2002
Copyright © 2002 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 22, Issue 13, pages 1571–1592, 15 November 2002
How to Cite
Lloyd-Hughes, B. and Saunders, M. A. (2002), A drought climatology for Europe. Int. J. Climatol., 22: 1571–1592. doi: 10.1002/joc.846
- Issue online: 22 NOV 2002
- Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 17 JUN 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUN 2002
- Manuscript Received: 5 FEB 2002
- UK Natural Environment Research Council
- St. Paul Re.
- AbramowitzM, StegunA (eds). 1965. Handbook of Mathematical Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables. Dover Publications, Inc.: New York.
- 1984. The Palmer drought severity index: limitations and assumptions. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 23: 1100–1109. .
- 1994. Summer moisture variability across Europe, 1892–1991: an analysis based on the Palmer drought severity index. International Journal of Climatology 14: 475–506. , , .
- 1998. Monitoring drought in Hungary using the standardized precipitation index. Annales Geophysicae, Supplement 11 to Vol 16, the Abstract Book of 23rd EGS General Assembly, C450. April 1998, Nice; France. , , , .
- 1999. Investigation and Measurements of Droughts in Hungary. Hungarian Meteorological Service: Budapest. , , .
- 2001. Assessment of regional impact of droughts in Europe. Final report to the European Union ENV-CT97-00553. Institute of Hydrology, University of Freiburg: Freiburg, Germany. , , (eds).
- 1997. Characteristics of 20th century drought in the United States at multiple timescales. Colorado State University: Fort Collins. Climatology Report No. 97-2. , .
- 2000. Multi-annual drought episodes in the Mediterranean (Valencia region) from 1950–1996. A spatio-temporal analysis. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1599–1618. , , .
- European Environment Agency. 2001. Sustainable water use in Europe, Part 3: extreme hydrological events: floods and droughts. Environmental Issue Report No. 21.
- FAO. 1996. The Digitized Soil Map of the World Including Derived Soil Properties (CD-ROM). Food and Agriculture Organization: Rome.
- 1978. Scientific Aspects of the 1975–76 Drought in England and Wales. The Royal Society: London. , , , .
- 1998. Comparing the Palmer drought severity index and the standardised precipitation index. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 34: 113–121. .
- 1999. Monitoring the 1996 drought using the standardized precipitation index. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 80: 429–438. , , , .
- 1983. Some spatial characteristics of drought duration in the United States. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 22: 1356–1366. .
- 2001. Water resources: influence of climate change in Europe ENV4-CT97-0452. Water Resource Systems Research Laboratory, University of Newcastle: Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, UK. (ed.).
- 2001. Patterns of monthly rainfall shortage and excess in terms of the standardized precipitation index. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1669–1691. , , .
- 1985. The 1984 Drought. Institute of Hydrology: Wallingford, UK. , .
- 1994. The 1988–92 Drought. Institute of Hydrology: Wallingford, UK. , , , , .
- 1993. The relationship of drought frequency and duration to time scales. In Proceedings of the 8th Conference on Applied Climatology, 17–22 January, Anaheim, CA. American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA; 179–184. , , .
- 2000. Representing twentieth-century space–time climate variability, part II: development of 1901–96 monthly grids of terrestrial surface climate. Journal of Climate 13: 2217–2238. , , .
- 1999. Analysis links Pacific decadal variability to drought and streamflow in United States. EOS Transactions of the American Geophysical Union 80: 621–625. , , .
- 1985. A comparative performance analysis of three meteorological drought indices. International Journal of Climatology 5: 655–664. .
- 1965. Meteorological drought. Research Paper No. 45. US Weather Bureau: Washington, DC. .
- 1998. The utility of a drought index for assessing the drought hazard in Devon and Cornwall, South West England. Meteorological Applications 5: 359–372. , .
- 1986. Numerical Recipes. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , , , .
- 1999. Estimating available water content by linking the FAO soil map of the world with global soil profile databases and pseudo-transfer functions. Proceedings of the American Geophysical Union: Spring Conference, Boston, MA. , , .
- 1992. Spatial patterns of drought frequency and duration in the contiguous USA based on multiple drought event definitions. International Journal of Climatology 12: 11–24. .
- 2000. Comparison of two drought indices for drought monitoring in Hungary—a case study. In Drought and Drought Mitigation in Europe, VogtJV, SommaF (eds). Kluwer: Dordrecht; 161–166. , .
- 1958. A note on the gamma distribution. Monthly Weather Review 86: 117–122. .
- 1999. Statistical Analysis in Climate Research. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , .
- WatsonRT, ZinyoweraMC, MossRH (eds). 1997. The Regional Impacts of Climate Change: An Assessment of Vulnerability. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- 1985. Understanding the drought phenomenon: the role of definitions. Water International 10: 111–120. , .
- 1995. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences. Academic Press: London. .