The impact of land-cover modification on the June meteorology of China since 1700, simulated using a regional climate model
Article first published online: 25 MAR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 511–527, April 2003
How to Cite
Wang, H., Pitman, A. J., Zhao, M. and Leemans, R. (2003), The impact of land-cover modification on the June meteorology of China since 1700, simulated using a regional climate model. Int. J. Climatol., 23: 511–527. doi: 10.1002/joc.889
- Issue published online: 8 APR 2003
- Article first published online: 25 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 JAN 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 24 DEC 2002
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUN 2001
- Ministry of Science and Technology of China. Grant Number: G1999043500
- Chinese Academy of Sciences. Grant Number: ZKCX2-SW-210
- National Science Foundation Project. Grant Number: 49975016
- 1989. Impact of forests on mesoscale meteorology. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, London, Series B 324: 407–422. , , , , , .
- 1992. Effects of boreal forest vegetation on global climate. Nature 359: 716–718. , , .
- 2000. Simulation impacts of historical land cover changes on global climate in northern winter. Climate Dynamics 16: 93–105. , , , , .
- 1993. Biosphere–Atmosphere Transfer Scheme (BATS) Version1e as coupled to NCAR Community Climate Model. NCAR Technical Note TN-387+STR. , , .
- 1996. The effect on regional and global climate of expansion of the world's deserts. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society, 122: 451–482. , .
- 1997. Climatic effects of Amazonian deforestation: some results from ABRACOS. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 823–830. , .
- 1994. A description of the fifth-generation Penn State/NCAR mesoscale model (MM5). NCAR Technical Note, NCAR/TN-398+STR. , , .
- 1993. Description of the NCAR Community Climate Model (CCM2). NCAR Technical Note, NCAR/TN-382+STR. , , , , , .
- 1993. Tropical deforestation: modeling local- to regional-scale climate change. Journal of Geophysical Research 98: 7289–7315. , , , , , .
- 1996. Description of the NCAR Community Climate Model (CCM3). NCAR Technical Note NCAR/TN-420+STR, Boulder, Col, USA. , , , , .
- 1997. A hundred year (1890–1990) database for integrated environmental assessments (HYDE, version 1.1). Report no. 422514002, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment (RIVM), Bilthoven, The Netherlands. , .
- 2001. Estimating global land use change over the past 300 years: the HYDE database. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 15: 417–434. .
- 1997. Understanding the sensitivity of a GCM simulation of Amazonian deforestation to the specification of vegetation and soil characteristics. Journal of Climate 10: 1216–1235. , .
- 1991. The IIASA database for mean monthly values of temperature, precipitation and cloudiness on a global terrestrial grid. Laxenburg: Austria (see http://www.iiasa.ac.at/cgi-bin/pubsrch?RR91018). , .
- 1994. Determining the potential global distribution of natural vegetation, crops and agricultural productivity. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 76: 133–162. , .
- 1997. The IGBP-DIS global 1km land cover data set, DISCover: first results. International Journal of Remote Sensing 18: 3289–3295. , .
- 1996. The impact of clearing for agriculture on the surface energy balance. International Journal of Climatology 16: 551–558. , , .
- 1994. Sensitivity of the global water cycle to the water-holding capacity of land. Journal of Climate 7: 506–526. , .
- 1998. Desertification, drought, and surface vegetation: an example from the west African Sahel. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 815–829. , , .
- 1991. Nonlinear influence of mesoscale land use on weather and climate. Journal of Climate 4: 1053–1069. , , , , .
- 1998. Interactions between the atmosphere and terrestrial ecosystems: Influence on weather and climate. Global Change Biology 4: 461–475. , , , , , .
- 2003. The evolution of, and revolution in, land surface schemes designed for climate models. International Journal of Climatology23: 479–510. .
- 2000. The relative impact of observed change in land cover and carbon dioxide as simulated by a climate model. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 1267–1270. , .
- 1994. A statistical study of the regional impact of deforestation on climate in the LMD GCM. Climate Dynamics 10: 205–219. , .
- 1992. A global biome model based on plant physiology and dominance, soil properties and climate. Journal of Biogeography 19: 117–134. , , , , , .
- 1990. Land transformation. In The Earth as Transformed by Human Action, TurnerBLII, ClarkWC, KatesRW, RichardsJF, MatthewsJT, MeyerWB (eds). Cambridge University Press: New York; 163–178. .
- 1992. Biophysical models of land surface processes. In Climate System Modelling, TrenberthKE (ed.). Cambridge University Press. .
- 1997. Human domination of Earth's ecosystems. Science 277: 494–499. , , , .
- 1997. Biosphere feedback on regional climate in tropical north Africa. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 123: 1483–1515. .
- 1996. Impacts of tropical deforestation. Part I: process analysis of local climatic change. Journal of Climate 9: 1497–1517. , , .
- 2001. The impact of land cover change on the atmospheric circulation. Climate Dynamics 17: 467–477. , , .
- The ecoboundary approach and a two-way coupling technique of regional climate modeling. Acta Meteorological Sinica. , . In press.