Sea-surface temperature co-variability in the Southern Atlantic and Indian Oceans and its connections with the atmospheric circulation in the Southern Hemisphere
Version of Record online: 10 APR 2003
Copyright © 2003 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 23, Issue 6, pages 663–677, May 2003
How to Cite
Fauchereau, N., Trzaska, S., Richard, Y., Roucou, P. and Camberlin, P. (2003), Sea-surface temperature co-variability in the Southern Atlantic and Indian Oceans and its connections with the atmospheric circulation in the Southern Hemisphere. Int. J. Climatol., 23: 663–677. doi: 10.1002/joc.905
- Issue online: 1 MAY 2003
- Version of Record online: 10 APR 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 12 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 FEB 2003
- Manuscript Received: 2 AUG 2002
- 1995. Multidecadal variability in the climate system over the Indian Ocean region during the austral summer. Journal of Climate 8: 1853–1873. , , .
- 1997. Development of the global mean sea level pressure data set GMSLP version 2. Climate Research Technical Note 79, Hadley Centre UKMO, Bracknell. , .
- 2001. Subtropical SST dipole events in the southern Indian Ocean. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 327–330. , .
- 1992. An intercomparison of methods for finding coupled patterns in climate data. Journal of Climate 5: 541–560. , , .
- 1984. Interannual variability of surface field over the Indian Ocean during recent decades. Monthly Weather Review 112: 1921–1935. , .
- 1999. Inter-relationships between groundnut yield in Senegal, interannual rainfall variability and sea-surface temperatures. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 63: 163–181. , .
- 2001. Global and regional sea surface temperature trends. Journal of Climate 14: 3801–3818. , .
- 1998. Impact of localized sea-surface-temperatures anomalies over the equatorial Indian Ocean on the Indian summer monsoon. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 76: 841–853. , .
- 1996. Some comments on singular value decomposition analysis. Journal of Climate 9: 2003–2009. .
- 2001. A cautionary note on the interpretation of EOFs. Journal of Climate 15: 216–225. , .
- 1999. Coupled ocean–atmosphere surface variability and its climate impacts in the tropical Atlantic sector. Climate Dynamics. 15: 451–473. , , .
- 1982. Atmosphere–Ocean Dynamics. Academic Press: New York. .
- 1993. Circulation mechanisms related to northeast Brazil rainfall anomalies. Journal of Geophysical Research 98: 5093–5102. , .
- 1992. A climatic dipole governing the interannual variability of convection over the SW Indian Ocean and SE Africa region. Trends in Geophysical Research 1: 165–172. .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1988. Interannual variations in the Southern Hemisphere circulation. Journal of Climate 1: 1177–1198. .
- 2002. The Southern Hemisphere evolution of ENSO during 1981–99. Journal of Climate 15: 847–863. , .
- 1997. A Pacific decadal oscillation with impacts on salmon production. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 1069–1079. , , , , .
- 1990. Temporal variability of sea-surface-temperatures around southern Africa: a possible forcing mechanism for the 18-year rainfall oscillation? South African Journal of Science 86: 243–252. .
- 1985. Teleconnections in the Southern Hemisphere. Monthly Weather Review 113: 22–37. , .
- 1995. A caveat concerning singular value decomposition. Journal of Climate 8: 352–360. , .
- 2000. Comparison of rainfall structures between NCEP/NCAR and observed data over southern Africa. Climate Dynamics 16: 897–915. , , .
- 1996. Climate Research Technical Note. UKMO, Bracknell. , , , , .
- 2000. Multidecadal climate variability in the subtropics/mid-latitudes of the Southern Hemisphere oceans. Tellus A 52: 203–223. .
- 2001. Subtropical Indian Ocean SST dipole events and southern African rainfall. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 2225–2227. .
- 2002. Sensitivity of the southern African circulation to dipole sea-surface-temperature patterns in the south Indian Ocean. International Journal of Climatology 22: 377–393. .
- 1999. Relationships between South African rainfall and SST anomalies in the south west Indian Ocean. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1651–1673. , .
- 2000. Modification of the southern African rainfall variability/ENSO relationship since the late 1960s. Climate Dynamics 16: 883–895. , , , .
- 2001. 20th Century droughts in Southern Africa: spatial and temporal variability, teleconnections with oceanic and atmospheric conditions. International Journal of Climatrology 21: 873–895. , , , , .
- 1986. Rotation of principal components. Journal of Climatology 6: 293–335. .
- 1996. Vertical motion changes related to northeast Brazil rainfall variability: a GCM simulation. International Journal of Climatology 16: 879–891. , , , , .
- 2001. Indo-Pacific relationships in terms of sea-surface temperature variations. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1515–1528. , .
- Sea-surface-temperature forcing of the late Indian summer monsoon. Journal of Climate. , , , , . In press.
- 2000. Annular modes in the extratropical circulation. Part I : month-to-month variability. Journal of Climate 13: 1000–1016. , .
- 1979. Interannual variability of the 500 mb zonal mean flow in the Southern Hemisphere. Monthly Weather Review 107: 1515–1524. .
- 1972. The zonal harmonic standing waves in the Southern Hemisphere. Journal of Geophysical Research 77: 992–1003. , .
- 1996. Evidence for interannual and interdecadal climate variability in the South Atlantic. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 2673–2676. , , .
- 1997. Atmosphere–ocean coupled variability in the South Atlantic. Journal of Climate 10: 2904–2920. , , .
- 1990. Links between South African summer rainfall and temperature variability of the Agulhas and Benguela system. Journal of Geophysical Research 95: 3297–3319. .
- 1989. Preliminary observations of oceanic influences on the February–March 1988 floods in central South Africa. South African Journal of Science 85: 164–169. , .
- 1987. On the observed structure of the inter-annual variability of the ocean–atmosphere climate system. In Atmospheric and Oceanic Variability. CattleEH (ed.). Royal Meteorological Society: 17–43. , .
- 1990. Spatial patterns of ocean–atmosphere interaction in the northern winter. Journal of Climate 3: 990–998. , , .
- 1996. An Antarctic circumpolar wave in surface pressure, wind, temperature and sea-ice extent. Nature 380: 699–702. , .
- 1987. A comprehensive ocean atmosphere data set. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 68: 521–527. , , , .