Dendroclimatic signals in long tree-ring chronologies from the Himalayas of Nepal
Article first published online: 5 JUN 2003
Copyright © 2003 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 23, Issue 7, pages 707–732, 15 June 2003
How to Cite
Cook, E. R., Krusic, P. J. and Jones, P. D. (2003), Dendroclimatic signals in long tree-ring chronologies from the Himalayas of Nepal. Int. J. Climatol., 23: 707–732. doi: 10.1002/joc.911
- Issue published online: 5 JUN 2003
- Article first published online: 5 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 10 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Received: 9 JAN 2002
- NSF Grants. Grant Numbers: ATM 93-19329, ATM 96-30144, ATM 00-94193
- 1992. Tree-ring chronologies from Nepal. Tree-Ring Bulletin 52: 59–66. , , .
- 1996. Ring-width variations in Cedrus deodara and its climatic response over the western Himalaya. International Journal of Climatology 16: 1409–1422. , , .
- 1994. Dendrochronology for the last 1400 years in eastern Tibet. GeoJournal 34: 75–95. .
- 2000. Annual climate variability in the Holocene: interpreting the message of ancient trees. Quaternary Science Reviews 19: 87–105. .
- 1992a. Fennoscandian summers from A.D.500: temperature changes on short and long timescales. Climate Dynamics 7: 111–119. , , , , , , , .
- 1992b. Tree-ring density reconstructions of summer temperature patterns across western North America since 1600. Journal of Climate 5: 735–754. , , .
- 1998a. Influence of volcanic eruptions on Northern Hemisphere summer temperature over the past 600 years. Nature 393: 450–455. , , , .
- 1998b. Reduced sensitivity of recent tree growth to temperature at high northern latitudes. Nature 391: 678–682. , , , , , .
- 2001. Low frequency temperature variations from a northern tree-ring density network. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: 2929–2941. , , , , , , .
- 1981. A contrasting study of the rainfall anomalies between central Tibet and central India during the summer monsoon season of 1979. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 62: 20–22. .
- 1999. Tree-ring studies in the eastern Himalayan region: prospects and problems. International Association of Wood Anatomists 20: 317–324. , , .
- 1985. A time series analysis approach to tree-ring standardization. PhD dissertation, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ. .
- 1987. The decomposition of tree-ring series for environmental studies. Tree-Ring Bulletin 47: 37–59. .
- CookER, KairiukstisLA (eds). 1990. Methods of Dendrochronology. Kluwer Academic: Dordrecht.
- 1981. The smoothing spline: a new approach to standardizing forest interior tree-ring width series for dendroclimatic studies. Tree-Ring Bulletin 41: 45–53. , .
- 1994. Spatial regression methods in dendroclimatology: a review and comparison of two techniques. International Journal of Climatology 14: 379–402. , , .
- 1995. The segment length curse in long tree-ring chronology development for paleoclimatic studies. The Holocene 5: 229–237. , , , , .
- 1999. Drought reconstructions for the continental United States. Journal of Climate 12: 1145–1162. , , , .
- 1991. Ice core evidence for an explosive tropical volcanic eruption 6 years preceding Tambora. Journal of Geophysical Research 96: 17 361–17 366. , , .
- DIHM. 1977. Climatological Records of Nepal, Vols I, II, and III. Department of Irrigation, Hydrology and Meteorology, Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Irrigation, Government of Nepal.
- 1902. India and the neighboring countries. India Meteorological Memoirs XIV. .
- 2000. Long-term tree-ring variations in Juniperus at the upper timber-line in the Karakoram (Pakistan). The Holocene 19(2): 253–260. .
- 2002. Low-frequency signals in long tree-ring chronologies for reconstructing of past temperature variability. Science 295: 2250–2253. , , .
- 1976. Tree Rings and Climate. Academic Press: London. .
- 1969. A revised computer program for standardizing tree-ring series. Tree-Ring Bulletin 29: 15–20. , , .
- 1985. The extrapolation of recent climatological series with spectral canonical regression. Journal of Climatology 5: 325–335. .
- 1976. An apparent relationship between Eurasian snow cover and Indian monsoon rainfall. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 33: 2461–2462. , .
- HaringtonCR (ed.). 1992. The Year Without a Summer? World Climate in 1816. Canadian Museum of Nature: Ottawa.
- 1985. Long-term trends of surface air temperature in India. Journal of Climatology 5: 521–528. , , .
- 1983. Computer-assisted quality control in tree-ring dating and measurement. Tree-Ring Bulletin 43: 69–78. .
- 1992. Dendroclimatic evidence from the western Himalaya. In BradleyRS, JonesPD (eds). Routledge Press: London; Climate Since A.D. 1500, 415–431. .
- 1997. Estimating sampling errors in large-scale temperature averages. Journal of Climate 10: 2548–2568. , , .
- 1998. High-resolution palaeoclimatic records for the last millennium: interpretation, integration and comparison with general circulation model control-run temperatures. The Holocene 8: 455–471. , , , .
- 1994. Interannual variability of the onset of the Indian summer monsoon and its association with atmospheric features, El Niño, and sea surface temperature anomalies. Journal of Climate 7: 81–103. , , .
- 1999. Climatology and variability of historical Soviet snow depth data: some new perspectives in snow–Indian monsoon teleconnections. Climate Dynamics 15: 475–489. , .
- 1995. Variability of the summer monsoon rainfall over Thailand—comparison with features over India. International Journal of Climatology 15: 657–672. , , .
- 1996. Rainfall variability over Bangladesh and Nepal: comparison and connections with features over India. International Journal of Climatology 16: 689–703. , , .
- 1992. Classification of summer monsoon rainfall patterns over India. International Journal of Climatology 12: 269–280. , , .
- 1999. On the weakening relationship between the Indian monsoon and ENSO. Science 284: 2156–2159. , , .
- 2000. Climatic warming in the Tibetan Plateau during recent decades. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1729–1742. , .
- 1999. Northern Hemisphere temperatures during the past millennium: inferences, uncertainties, and limitations. Geophysical Research Letters 26: 759–762. , , .
- 2000. Representing twentieth-century space–time climate variability. Part II: development of 1901–96 monthly grids of terrestrial surface climate. Journal of Climate 13: 2217–2238. , , .
- 2000. Revisiting timescale-dependent reconstruction of climate from tree-ring chronologies. Dendrochronologia 18: 9–25. , .
- 1988. Climatic changes in and around the Rajasthan Desert during the 20th century. International Journal of Climatology 8: 391–401. , .
- 1997. Climates of South Asia. John Wiley and Sons: New York. , .
- 1985. Seasonal relationships between Indian summer monsoon rainfall and the southern oscillation. International Journal of Climatology 5: 369–378. , .
- 1994. All-India monthly and seasonal rainfall series: 1871–1993. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 49: 217–224. , , .
- 1981. Foundations of Principal Components Selection Rules. SIO Reference Series 81-4 Scripps Institution of Oceanography: La Jolla. , , .
- 1986. Rotation of principal components. Journal of Climatology 6: 293–335. .
- 1993. Dendrochronological research in south Mustang. In Ancient Nepal, ShresthaKM, MishraT, PradhanR (eds). Journal of the Department of Archaeology, His Majesty's Government, Ministry of Education, Culture and Social Welfare, Department of Archaeology. Kathmandu, Nepal; 20–33. .
- 1987. Temperature information from a European dendroclimatological sampling network. Dendrochronologia 5: 9–33. , , .
- 1999. Maximum temperature trends in the Himalaya and its vicinity: an analysis based on temperature records from Nepal for the period 1971–94. Journal of Climate 12: 2775–2786. , , , .
- 2000. Precipitation fluctuations in the Nepal Himalaya and its vicinity and relationship with some large scale climatological parameters. International Journal of Climatology 20: 317–327. , , , .
- 1968. An Introduction to Tree-Ring Dating. University of Chicago Press: Chicago. , .
- 2000. A high-resolution millennial record of the south Asian monsoon from Himalayan ice cores. Science 289: 1916–1919. , , , , , .
- 1992. Dendroclimatic studies in China. In Climate Since A.D. 1500, BradleyRS, JonesPD (eds). Routledge Press: London; 432–445. .
- 1995. Status and prospects of dendrochronological study in Tibetan Plateau. Dendrochronologia 13: 89–98. , .
- 1997. Dendroclimatic reconstruction of April–May temperature fluctuations in the western Himalaya of India since A.D. 1698. Quaternary Research 48: 187–191. , , .
- 1992. Seasonal heating of the Tibetan Plateau and its effects on the evolution of the Asian summer monsoon. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 70: 319–351. , , .