Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere and Ocean (JISAO) contribution #936.
Comparison of various precipitation downscaling methods for the simulation of streamflow in a rainshadow river basin†
Article first published online: 17 JUN 2003
Copyright © 2003 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 23, Issue 8, pages 887–901, 30 June 2003
How to Cite
Salathé, E. P. (2003), Comparison of various precipitation downscaling methods for the simulation of streamflow in a rainshadow river basin. Int. J. Climatol., 23: 887–901. doi: 10.1002/joc.922
- Issue published online: 17 JUN 2003
- Article first published online: 17 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 17 MAR 2003
- Manuscript Received: 1 AUG 2002
- Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere and Ocean. Grant Number: NA17RJ1232
- 2001. Climate change impacts on runoff in Sweden—assessments by global climate models, dynamical downscaling and hydrological modeling. Climate Research 16: 101–112. , , , , , .
- 1999. Interannual to decadal variability in climate and the glacier mass balance in Washington, western Canada, and Alaska. Journal of Climate 12: 3181–3196. , .
- 2002. Downscaling recent streamflow conditions in British Columbia, Canada, using ensemble neural network models. Journal of Hydrology 259: 136–151. , .
- 1996. Interannual climate variability and snowpack in the western United States. Journal of Climate 9: 928–948. .
- 1994. A statistical–topographic model for mapping climatological precipitation over mountainous terrain. Journal of Applied Meteorology 33: 140–158. , , .
- 2001. Regional climate simulation—evaluation and projections. In Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis, HoughtonJT, DingY, GriggsDJ, NigmerM, van der LinslenPJ, DaiX (eds). Cambridge University Press. , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999a. Effects of climate change on hydrology and water resources in the Columbia River Basin. Journal of the American Water Research Association 35: 1597–1623. , .
- 1999b. Columbia River Streamflow forecasting based on ENSO and PDO climate signals. American Society of Civil Engineering 25: 333–341. , .
- 2000. A comparison of delta change and downscaled GCM scenarios for three mountainous basins in the United States. Journal of the American Water Research Association 36: 387–397. , , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Statistical downscaling of GCM simulations to streamflow. Journal of Hydrology 252: 221–236. , , , .
- 1999. Simulations of the ENSO hydroclimate signals in the Pacific Northwest Columbia River basin. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 80: 2313–2329. , , , .
- 1994. A simple hydrologically based model of land surface water and energy fluxes for general circulation models. Journal of Geophysical Research 99: 14 415–14 428. , , , .
- 1996. A large-scale horizontal routing model to be coupled to land surface parameterization schemes. Tellus 48: 708–721. , , .
- 1998. Regional scale hydrology: I. Formulation of the VIC-2L model coupled to a routing model. Hydrological Sciences Journal 43: 131–141. , , , .
- 1997. A Pacific decadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 1069–1079. , , , , .
- 2000. Effects of land cover change on streamflow in the interior Columbia Basin. Hydrological Processes 14: 867–885. , , , , .
- 1997. A 50–70 year climatic oscillation over the North Pacific and North America. Geophysical Research Letters 24: 683–686. .
- 2001. The relationship between synoptic scale airflow direction and daily rainfall: a methodology applied to Devon and Cornwall, South West England. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 69: 179–198. , .
- 2000. Validation of mesoscale precipitation in the NCEP reanalysis using a new grid-cell precipitation dataset for the northwestern United States. Journal of Climate 13: 1936–1950. , .
- 2002. Precipitation downscaling over the northwestern United States using numerically simulated precipitation as a predictor. Journal of Climate 16: 799–816. , , .
- 1997. Downscaling general circulation model output: a review of methods and limitations. Progress in Physical Geography 21: 530–548. , .
- 2000. Precipitation predictors for downscaling: observed and general circulation model relationships. International Journal of Climatology 20: 641–661. , .
- 2000. Hydrological responses to dynamically and statistically downscaled climate model output. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 1199–1202. , , , , , , , .