Variability of extreme temperature events in south–central Europe during the 20th century and its relationship with large-scale circulation
Article first published online: 9 JUL 2003
Copyright © 2003 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 23, Issue 9, pages 987–1010, July 2003
How to Cite
Domonkos, P., Kyselý, J., Piotrowicz, K., Petrovic, P. and Likso, T. (2003), Variability of extreme temperature events in south–central Europe during the 20th century and its relationship with large-scale circulation. Int. J. Climatol., 23: 987–1010. doi: 10.1002/joc.929
- Issue published online: 9 JUL 2003
- Article first published online: 9 JUL 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 APR 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 14 APR 2003
- Manuscript Received: 4 OCT 2002
- Hungarian Research Foundation. Grant Number: T-029374
- Grant Agency of Academy of Sciences CR. Grant Number: B3042004
- Grant Agency of the Czech Republic. Grant Number: 205/01/D040
- 1996. Winter 1994 weather and ice conditions for the Laurentian Great Lakes. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 71–88. , , , .
- 1990. Detection of climate change in Europe by analyzing European atmospheric circulation patterns from 1881 to 1989. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 42: 155–167. , .
- 1999. Detection and attribution of recent climate change: a status report. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 80: 2631–2659. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Changing probabilities of daily temperature extremes in the UK related to future global warming and changes in climate variability. Climate Research 6: 21–31. , .
- 2002. Transient climate simulation forced by natural and anthropogenic climate forcings. International Journal of Climatology 22: 623–648. , .
- 1999. An urban bias in air temperature fluctuations at the Klementinum, Prague, the Czech Republic. Atmospheric Environment 33: 4211–4217. , .
- 1996. Trends of maximum and minimum daily temperatures in central and southeastern Europe. International Journal of Climatology 16: 765–782. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Meteorological conditions during heat waves and droughts in the United States Great Plains. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1253–1269. , .
- 1979. How a severe winter impacts on individuals. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 60: 110–114. .
- 1995. Recent frost data trends in the north-eastern USA. International Journal of Climatology 15: 65–75. , .
- 1972. The variability of the onset of spring in Britain. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 98: 763–777. .
- 1998. Statistical characteristics of extreme temperature anomaly groups in Hungary. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 59: 165–179. .
- 2001. Temporal accumulations of extreme daily mean temperature anomalies. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 68: 17–32. .
- 1998. Winter temperature characteristics in central Europe. International Journal of Climatology 18: 1405–1417. , .
- Long-term changes in observed temperature and precipitation series 1901–1998 from Hungary and their relations to larger scale changes. Theoretical and Applied Climatology. , . In press.
- 2000. Climate changes during the 20th century in Hungary. In Reconstructions of Climate and its Modelling, Obrebska-StarkelB (ed.). Jagiellonian University: Cracow; 199–206. , .
- 1995. Considerations on the dynamics of a cold spell over Greece. Zeitschrift für Meteorologie 4: 222–228. , , , .
- 1998. ENSO influence on intraseasonal extreme rainfall and temperature frequencies in the contiguous United States: observations and model results. Journal of Climate 11: 1575–1586. .
- 1992. Does an internal time structure of extreme summers in central Europe exist? In Proceedings, 5th International Meeting on Statistical Climatology, Toronto, Canada; 485–488. .
- 1999. Katalog der Grosswetterlagen Europas nach Paul Hess und Helmuth Brezowsky 1881–1998. Deutscher Wetterdienst: Offenbach a. Main. , , .
- 2000. Temperature and precipitation variations in Norway 1900–1994 and their links to atmospheric circulation. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1693–1708. , .
- 1997. Extreme temperature days in the south-central United States. Climate Research 8: 151–162. , .
- 1995. Greenhouse warming and threshold temperature events in Victoria, Australia. International Journal of Climatology 15: 591–612. , .
- 1977. Katalog der Grosswetterlagen Europas 1881–1976. Berichte des Deutschen Wetterdienstes, 113. Deutscher Wetterdienst: Offenbach a. Main. , .
- 1997. Potential of continental-scale circulation for the determination of local daily surface variables. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 56: 165–186. .
- 2001. Disaggregating climatic trends by classification of circulation patterns. International Journal of Climatology 21: 135–153. .
- 2000. A GCM simulation of heat waves, dry spells, and their relationships to circulation. Climatic Change 46: 29–60. , , .
- 2001. Time structure of observed, GCM-simulated, downscaled, and stochastically generated daily temperature series. Journal of Climate 14: 4047–4061. , , .
- 1997. The 1995 Chicago heat wave: how likely is a recurrence? Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 1107–1119. , .
- 1992. Extreme events in a changing climate: variability is more important than averages. Climatic Change 21: 289–302. , .
- 2000. Changes in the extremes in an ensemble of transient climate simulations with a coupled atmosphere–ocean GCM. Journal of Climate 13: 3760–3788. , .
- 1996. Relationships between the intensity of cold-air outbreaks and the evolution of synoptic and planetary-scale features over North America. Monthly Weather Review 124: 1067–1083. .
- 1989. A surface energy budget view of the 1988 Midwestern United States drought. Boundary Layer Meteorology 48: 217–225. .
- 1996. The July 1995 heat wave in the Midwest: a climatic perspective and critical weather factors. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 1507–1518. , , , .
- 2000. Changes in the occurrence of extreme temperature events. PhD thesis. Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague (in Czech, with 23 pp. summary in English). .
- 2002a. Temporal fluctuations in heat waves at Prague-Klementinum, the Czech Republic, from 1901–1997, and their relationships to atmospheric circulation. International Journal of Climatology 22: 33–50. .
- 2002b. Comparison of extremes in GCM-simulated, downscaled and observed central-European temperature series. Climate Research 20: 211–222. .
- 2002c. Probability estimates of extreme temperature events: stochastic modelling approach vs. extreme value distributions. Studia Geophysica et Geodaetica 46: 93–112. .
- 2000. Heat waves in the South Moravian region during the period 1961–1995. Studia Geophysica et Geodaetica 44: 57–72. , , .
- 1996. Extreme winter minimum temperatures in Catalonia (north-east Spain): expected values and their spatial distribution. International Journal of Climatology 16: 1365–1378. , .
- 1996. Some meteorological, climatological and microclimatological considerations of the severe U.S. heat wave of mid-July 1995. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 2043–2054. , .
- 1995. A diagnostic comparison of the 1980 and 1988 U.S. summer heat wave-droughts. Journal of Climate 8: 1658–1675. , .
- 1993. Parametric time series analysis of cold and hot spells in daily temperature: an application in Southern Italy. Journal of Applied Meteorology 32: 1270–1281. , , , .
- 1995. Global interdecadal and century-scale climate oscillations during the past five centuries. Nature 378: 266–270. , , .
- 1998. Characterizing air pollution potential over Budapest using macrocirculation types. Idöjárás 102: 219–237. , .
- 1984. Extreme high temperature events: changes in their probabilities with changes in mean temperature. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 23: 1601–1613. , , .
- 1990. Cereal crop damage by frosts, spring 1990. Weather 45: 308–313. , .
- 1989. Early season temperatures and plant development. Weather 44: 176–179. , .
- 1999. The North Atlantic oscillation as an indicator for greenhouse-gas induced regional climate change. Climate Dynamics 15: 953–960. , , , , .
- 2001. A typology of winter thermal conditions. Annales Universites Mariae Curie—Sklodowska, Section B: Geographia, Geologia, Mineralogia et Petrographia 56: 277–284. .
- 2002. Fluctuations in annual sums of winter cold days and summer warm days with selected central European stations as examples and their connection to the large scale circulation. Prace Geograficzne 110: 25–45. , .
- 1996. Temperature variability and extremes over Australia: part 1—recent observed changes. Australian Meteorological Magazine 45: 233–250. .
- 2000. An analysis of the variability of the North Atlantic oscillation in the time and the frequency domains. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1675–1692. , , , .
- 1991. Florida citrus freezes and polar anticyclones in the Great Plains. Journal of Climate 4: 1103–1113. , .
- 1994. Spatial and temporal characteristics of extreme-high-summer-temperature events in the south–central United States. Physical Geography 15: 310–324. , .
- 1994. An oscillation in the global climate system of period 65–70 years. Nature 367: 723–726. , .
- 2000. Variability of the surface atmospheric circulation over Europe, 1774–1995. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1875–1897. , , .
- 1998. Frequency changes of weather types in the Alpine region since 1945. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 60: 47–61. , , .
- 1996. Frost in northeast Australia: trends and influences of phases of the southern oscillation. Journal of Climate 9: 1896–1909. , , .
- 1998. Drought tendencies in Hungary. International Journal of Climatology 18: 1479–1491. , , .
- 1995. Statistical explanation for trends in extreme summer temperatures at Phoenix, Arizona. Journal of Climate 8: 1704–1708. , .
- 2002. Changes in seasonal mean maximum air temperature in Romania and their connection with large scale circulation. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1181–1196. , , .
- 1999. Dominant patterns of climate variability in the Atlantic Ocean during the last 136 years. Journal of Climate 12: 2285–2299. , , .
- 1977. Climates of Central and Southern Europe. In World Survey of Climatology, vol. 6, LandsbergHE (ed. in chief). Elsevier: Amsterdam, Oxford, New York. .
- 1997. Global climate change and variability and its influence on Alpine climate—concepts and observations. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 58: 221–243. , , , , .
- 2000. Recent climate change in the North Atlantic/European sector. International Journal of Climatology 20: 463–471. , , , .
- 1985. Impact of extreme events. Nature 316: 106–107. .
- 1985. A 500 mb synoptic climatology of Pacific north-west coast winters in relation to climatic variability, 1948–1949 to 1977–1978. Journal of Climatology 5: 237–252. .