Mapping the climate of Puerto Rico, Vieques and Culebra
Article first published online: 6 AUG 2003
Copyright © 2003 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 23, Issue 11, pages 1359–1381, September 2003
How to Cite
Daly, C., Helmer, E. H. and Quiñones, M. (2003), Mapping the climate of Puerto Rico, Vieques and Culebra. Int. J. Climatol., 23: 1359–1381. doi: 10.1002/joc.937
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2003
- Article first published online: 6 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 MAY 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 19 MAY 2003
- Manuscript Received: 10 AUG 2002
- International Institute of Tropical Forestry, USDA Forest Service, Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico. Grant Number: ISA 1201 2619 00 006
- NASA. Grant Number: NAG8-1709
- 2003. Meteorology Today: An Introduction to Weather, Climate, and the Environment, 7th edition. Brooks-Cole–Thomson Learning: Pacific Grove, CA. .
- 1964. A technique for maximizing details in numerical weather map analysis. Journal of Applied Meteorology 3: 396–409. .
- 1949. Natural vegetation of the Windward and Leeward Islands. Oxford Forestry Memoirs 21: 1–192. .
- 1998. Effects of improved precipitation estimates on automated runoff mapping: eastern United States. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 34: 159–166. , , .
- 1999. Distribution of twelve moist canopy tree species in Liberia and Côte d'Ivore: response curves to a climatic gradient. Journal of Vegetation Science 10: 371–382. , , , .
- 1953. Small-scale topographic effects on precipitation distribution in San Dimas Experimental Forest. Transactions American Geophysical Union 34: 761–768. .
- 2002. Variable influence of terrain on precipitation patterns: delineation and use of effective terrain height in PRISM. http://www.ocs.orst.edu/prism/effter.pdf [April 2003]. .
- 1999. PRISM spatial climate layers: their development and use. In Short Course on Topics in Applied Climatology, 79th Annual Meeting of the American Meteorological Society, 10–15 January, Dallas, TX. http://www.ocs.orst.edu/prism/prisguid.pdf [April 2003]. , .
- 1992. A digital topographic approach to modeling the distribution of precipitation in mountainous terrain. In Interdisciplinary Approaches in Hydrology and Hydrogeology. American Institute of Hydrology: 437–454. , .
- 1994. A statistical–topographic model for mapping climatological precipitation over mountainous terrain. Journal of Applied Meteorology 33: 140–158. , , .
- 1997. The PRISM approach to mapping precipitation and temperature. In Proceedings 10th AMS Conference on Applied Climatology. American Meteorological Society: Reno, NV, 20–23 October; 10–12. , , .
- 2000a. Development of new climate and plant adaptation maps for China. In Proceedings, 12th AMS Conference on Applied Climatology. American Meteorological Society: Asheville, NC, 8–11 May; J62–J65. , , , .
- 2000b. Development of a 103-year high-resolution climate data set for the conterminous United States. In Proceedings, 12th AMS Conference on Applied Climatology. American Meteorological Society: Asheville, NC, 8–11 May; 249–252. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. High-quality spatial climate data sets for the United States and beyond. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers 43: 1957–1962. , , , , , .
- 2002. A knowledge-based approach to the statistical mapping of climate. Climate Research 22: 99–113. , , , , .
- ESSA. 1969a. Mean annual temperature map for Puerto Rico. US Department of Commerce, Environmental Sciences Service Administration.
- ESSA. 1969b. Mean annual precipitation map for Puerto Rico. US Department of Commerce, Environmental Sciences Service Administration.
- 1973. The ecological life zones of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. USDA Forest Service Research Paper No. ITF-18, Institute of Tropical Forestry, Rio Piedras, PR. , .
- 1998. Land-use history as long-term broad-scale disturbance: regional forest dynamics and central New England. Ecosystems 1: 96–119. , , .
- 1996a. Rainfall, runoff and elevation relationships in the Luquillo Mountains of Puerto Rico. Caribbean Journal of Science 32: 413–424. , , , .
- 1996b. Statistical low flow estimation using GIS analysis in humid montane regions in Puerto Rico. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 32(6): 1259–1271. , , , .
- 1983. The hydroclimatonomy of a developing tropical island—a water resources perspective. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 73: 183–205. .
- 1998. Integration of GIS data and classified satellite imagery for regional forest assessment. Ecological Applications 8: 1072–1083. , , , .
- 2000. Mapping montane tropical forest successional stage and land use with multi-date Landsat imagery. International Journal of Remote Sensing 21: 2163–2183. , , .
- 2002. Mapping forest type and land cover of Puerto Rico, a component of the Caribbean biodiversity hotspot. Caribbean Journal of Science 38: 165–183. , , , , .
- 1971. Forest Environments in Tropical Life Zones: A Pilot Study. Pergamon Press: New York. , , , , .
- 1996. A quantitative approach to developing regional ecosystem classifications. Ecological Applications 6: 608–618. , , , , .
- 2001. The ecological life zones of St. Lucia. Global Ecology and Biogeography 10: 549–566. , .
- 2000. Temperature based models of the migration of Swainson's flycatcher Myiarchus swainsoni across South America: a new use for museum specimens of migratory birds. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences 150: 293–300. , .
- 2001. Geostatistical mapping of precipitation from rain gauge data using atmospheric and terrain characteristics. Journal of Applied Meteorology 40: 1855–1877. , , .
- 2000. Analysis of 20th-century rainfall and streamflow to characterize drought and water resources in Puerto Rico. Physical Geography 21: 494–521. .
- 1999. Evaluating the use of “goodness of fit” measures in hydrologic and hydroclimatic model validation. Water Resources Research 35: 233–241. , .
- 2000. Simulation of nitrous oxide and nitric oxide emissions from tropical primary forests in the Costa Rican Atlantic zone. Environmental Modelling and Software 15: 727–743. , , , .
- 1998. The effect of land use on soil erosion in the Guadiana watershed in Puerto Rico. Caribbean Journal of Science 34: 298–307. , , .
- 2000. The Holdridge life zones of the conterminous United States in relation to ecosystem mapping. Journal of Biogeography 26: 1025–1038. , , , , .
- NCDC. 1995. Cooperative summary of the day, volume 21, TD 3200—period of record through 1995. National Climatic Data Center, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Asheville, NC. CD-ROM.
- 1995. A model for predicting continental-scale vegetation distribution and water balance. Ecological Applications 5: 362–385. .
- 1994. A global perspective of regional vegetation and hydrologic sensitivities from climate change. Journal of Vegetation Science 5: 715–730. , .
- NOAA. 1974. Climates of the States, vol. I—Eastern States. U.S. Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- 2002. Predictive mapping of forest composition and structure with direct gradient analysis and nearest neighbor imputation in coastal Oregon, USA. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32: 725–741. , .
- 1998. Regional gradient analysis and spatial pattern of woody plant communities of Oregon forests. Ecological Monographs 68: 151–182. , .
- 2000. A new U.S. climate atlas. In Proceedings, 12th AMS Conference on Applied Climatology, American Meteorological Society, Asheville, NC, 8–11 May; 247–248. , , , .
- 1991. FOREST–BGC, a general model of forest ecosystem processes for regional applications II. Dynamic carbon allocation and nitrogen budgets. Tree Physiology 9: 147–160. , .
- 1993. Generalization of a forest ecosystem process model for other biomes, BIOME–BGC, and an application for global-scale models. In Scaling Physiological Processes: Leaf to Globe, EhleringerJR, FieldC (eds). Academic Press: London; 141–158. , .
- 1998. An assessment of climate change in the Luquillo Mountains of Puerto Rico. Proceedings, Tropical Hydrology and Caribbean Water Resources, Segarra-García RI (ed.), American Water Resources Association, 12–16 July, San Juan, Puerto Rico; 193–198. .
- 1967. Relations between topography and annual precipitation in western Oregon and Washington. Water Resources Research 3: 707–711. .
- 2001a. Mean seasonal precipitation throughout the European Alps, 1971–1990. In Hydrologic Atlas of Switzerland. National Hydrologic Service: Bern, Switzerland. , , , .
- 2001b. Mean annual precipitation throughout the European Alps, 1971–1990. In Hydrologic Atlas of Switzerland. National Hydrologic Service: Bern, Switzerland. , , , .
- 1947. A determination of the effect of topography upon precipitation. Transactions, American Geophysical Union 28: 285–290. .
- 1999. The GARP modeling system: problems and solutions to automated spatial prediction. International Journal of Geographical Information Systems 13(2): 143–158. , .
- 2000. Climatic and biotic controls on annual carbon storage in Amazonian ecosystems. Global Ecology and Biogeography 9: 315–335. , , , , , , .
- USDA–NRCS. 1998. PRISM Climate Mapping Project—Precipitation. Mean monthly and annual precipitation digital files for the continental U.S. USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, National Cartography and Geospatial Center, Ft Worth, TX, December: CD-ROM.
- 1999. Regional regression models of annual streamflow for the United States. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 125: 148–157. , , .
- 2002. Modeling the spatial and temporal variability in climate and primary productivity across the Luquillo Mountains, Puerto Rico. Forest Ecology and Management 6118: 1–26. , , , , .
- 1985. Statistics for the evaluation and comparison of models. Journal of Geophysical Research 90: 8995–9005. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Distribution patterns of vertebrates in relation to an extensive rainfall gradient and variation and soil texture in the tropical savannas of Northern Territory, Australia. Journal of Tropical Ecology 15: 381–398. , , .