A regional frequency analysis of United Kingdom extreme rainfall from 1961 to 2000
Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2003
Copyright © 2003 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 23, Issue 11, pages 1313–1334, September 2003
How to Cite
Fowler, H. J. and Kilsby, C. G. (2003), A regional frequency analysis of United Kingdom extreme rainfall from 1961 to 2000. Int. J. Climatol., 23: 1313–1334. doi: 10.1002/joc.943
- Issue online: 27 AUG 2003
- Version of Record online: 6 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2002
- EU. Grant Number: EVK1-2000-00075
- 1987. Precipitation fluctuations over Northern Hemisphere land areas since the mid-19th century. Science 237: 171–275. , , , , , .
- 2000. Precipitation intensity trends in northern Italy. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1017–1031. , , , .
- 1996. Some features of Northern Hemisphere weather during autumn 1995. Weather 51: 141–143. .
- 1989. Regional flood and storm hazard assessment. Institute of Hydrology Rep. No. 102. IH, Wallingford, UK. , .
- 1989. Precipitation fluctuations over global land areas since the late 1800s. Journal of Geophysical Research 94: 1195–1240. , , .
- 2000. Climate extremes: observations, modeling, and impacts. Science 289: 2068–2074. , , , , , .
- 1979. Bootstrap methods: another look at the jack-knife. Annals of Statistics 7: 1–26. .
- 2001. Managing flood risk: past, present and future. In Flood Risk in a Changing Climate. Discussion Meeting at the Royal Society, London, 21–22 November, 2001. .
- 2003. Implications of changes in seasonal and annual extreme rainfall. Geophysical Research Letters 30(13): 1720. , .
- 2001. Detection probability of trends in rare events: theory and application to heavy precipitation in the alpine region. Journal of Climate 14: 1568–1584. , .
- 1963. A plotting rule for extreme probability paper. Journal of Geophysical Research 68: 813–814. .
- 1999. Changes in the probability of heavy precipitation: important indicators of climatic change. Climatic Change 42: 243–283. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Change in daily precipitation under enhanced greenhouse conditions. Climate Dynamics 13: 667–680. , , .
- 1997. Fortran routines for use with the method of L-moments. Research Report RC 20525 (90933) Version 3.02. IBM Research Division, New York. .
- 1988. The effect of intersite dependence on regional flood frequency analysis. Water Resources Research 24: 588–600. , .
- 1997. Regional Frequency Analysis: An Approach Based on L-Moments. Cambridge University Press. , .
- 1985. Estimation of the generalised extreme-value distribution by the method of probability-weighted moments. Technometrics 27: 251–261. , , .
- IH 1999. Flood Estimation Handbook. CEH Wallingford: Wallingford, UK.
- 1993. A statistical analysis of the extreme events: long-term trend of heavy daily precipitation. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 71: 637–640. , .
- 2001. Assessing future changes in extreme precipitation over Britain using regional climate model integrations. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1337–1356. , .
- 1998. Secular trends of precipitation amount, frequency, and intensity in the United States. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 231–241. , .
- 2001. To what extent can the October/November 2000 floods be attributed to climate change. DEFRA FD2304 Final Report. .
- 1996. The 1995 drought—a signal of climatic instability? Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Water, Maritime and Energy 118: 189–195. .
- 2001. The 2000/2001 floods in the UK—a brief overview. Weather 56: 343–345. .
- 1999. Assessing simulations of daily temperature and precipitation variability with global climate models for present and enhanced greenhouse climates. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1–26. , , , , , .
- 1995. Transient response of the Hadley Centre coupled ocean–atmosphere model to increasing carbon-dioxide. Part II: spatial and temporal structure of response. Journal of Climate 8: 57–80. , .
- NERC. 1975. Flood Studies Report. Institute of Hydrology: Wallingford, Oxford.
- 2000. Observed trends in the daily intensity of United Kingdom precipitation. International Journal of Climatology 20: 347–364. , , , .
- 2002. Quantifying the risk of extreme seasonal precipitation events in a changing climate. Nature 415: 512–514. , .
- 1999. The FORGEX method of rainfall growth estimation. II: description. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 3: 197–203. , , .
- 1999. Flood Estimation Handbook. Volume 3. Statistical Procedures for Flood Frequency Estimation. Institute of Hydrology: Wallingford. , .
- Weather Log. 1993. October. Royal Meteorological Society publication.
- Weather Log. 1995. September. Royal Meteorological Society publication.
- 1984. Spatial patterns of precipitation in England and Wales and a revised, homogenous England and Wales precipitation series. Journal of Climatology 4: 1–25. , , .
- 1999. Chances of climate extremes in China. Climatic Change 42: 203–218. , , , , , .