Recalibration of general circulation model output to austral summer rainfall over southern Africa
Article first published online: 7 OCT 2003
Copyright © 2003 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 23, Issue 12, pages 1407–1419, October 2003
How to Cite
Bartman, A. G., Landman, W. A. and Rautenbach, C. J. D. W. (2003), Recalibration of general circulation model output to austral summer rainfall over southern Africa. Int. J. Climatol., 23: 1407–1419. doi: 10.1002/joc.954
- Issue published online: 7 OCT 2003
- Article first published online: 7 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 7 JUL 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JUL 2003
- Manuscript Received: 13 APR 2002
- 1995. Monte Carlo climate forecasting. Journal of Climate 8: 1005–1022. .
- 1987. Origins and levels of monthly and seasonal forecast skill for United States air temperature determined by canonical correlation analysis. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1825–1850. , .
- 1994. Forecasting global ENSO-related climate anomalies. Tellus A 46: 381–397. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Linear statistical short-term climate predictive skill in the Northern Hemisphere. Journal of Climate 7: 1513–1564. .
- 1992. Prediction of ENSO using canonical correlation analysis. Journal of Climate 5: 1316–1345. , .
- 1996. Specification and prediction of global surface temperature and precipitation from global SST using CCA. Journal of Climate 9: 2660–2697. , .
- 1993. A degeneracy in cross-validated skill in regression-based forecasts. Journal of Climate 6: 963–977. , .
- 1994. Long-lead seasonal forecasts—where do we stand? Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 66: 2097–2114. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Climate predictability experiments with a general circulation model. Climate Dynamics 12: 261–278. , , , .
- 2001. Performance of statistical downscaling models in GCM validation and regional climate change estimates: application for Swedish precipitation. International Journal of Climatology 21: 557–578. , , .
- 1994. Long-range prediction of Hawaiian winter rainfall using canonical correlation analysis. International Journal of Climatology 14: 659–669. , .
- 1998. Doubled CO2 precipitation changes for the Susquehanna Basin: downscaling from the GENESIS GCM. International Journal of Climatology 18: 65–76. , .
- 1997. Mesoscale modelling of tropical–temperate troughs and associated systems over southern Africa. Report to the Water Research Commission, WRC 595/1/97. , , , , .
- 1995. Coastal sea level and the large-scale climate state: a downscaling exercise for Japanese Islands. Tellus A 47: 132–144. , , .
- 1972. The use of model output statistics (MOS) in objective weather forecasting. Journal of Applied Meteorology 11: 1203–1211. , .
- 1987a. An investigation of the El Niño–southern oscillation cycle with statistical models. 1. Predictor field characteristics. Journal of Geophysical Research 92: 14 251–14 270. , , .
- 1987b. An investigation of the El Niño–southern oscillation cycle with statistical models. 2. Model results. Journal of Geophysical Research 92: 14 271–14 289. , , .
- 1994. Ensembles higher-resolution models and future computing power—a personal view. Weather 49: 398–406. .
- 1992. Use of weather types to disaggregate general circulation model predictions. Journal of Geophysical Research 97: 2781–2790. , , , .
- 1997. Prospects and problems for multi-seasonal predictions: some issues arising from a study of 1992. International Journal of Climatology 17: 137–154. .
- 1991. A User's Guide to Principal Components. Wiley: New York. .
- 1997. Simulating present and future climate changes of southern Africa using general circulation models. Progress in Physical Geography 21: 51–78. , .
- 1993. A preliminary study of climatological associations and characteristics of tropical cyclones in the SW Indian Ocean. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 51: 101–115. .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. A method of relating general circulation model simulated climate to the observed local climate. Part I: seasonal statistics. Journal of Climate 3: 1053–1079. , , , , .
- 1995. Prospects and limitations of seasonal atmospheric GCM predictions. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. 76: 335–345. , .
- 2002. Statistical recalibration of GCM forecasts over southern Africa using model output statistics. Journal of Climate 15: 2038–2055. , .
- 1999. Change in the association between Indian Ocean sea-surface temperatures and summer rainfall over South Africa and Namibia. International Journal of Climatology 19: 1477–1492. , .
- 2001. Forecasts of near-global sea-surface temperatures using canonical correlation analysis. Journal of Climate 14: 3819–3833. , .
- 2000. Statistical downscaling of monthly forecasts. International Journal of Climatology 20: 1521–1532. , .
- 2001a. Retroactive skill of multi-tiered forecasts of summer rainfall over southern Africa. International Journal of Climatology 21: 1–19. , , , .
- 2001b. Statistical downscaling of GCM simulations to stream flow. Journal of Hydrology 252: 221–236. , , , .
- 1993. Intra-seasonal oscillations of convection over southern Africa. Unpublished MSc dissertation, University of Cape Town. .
- 1988. South African rainfall, the southern oscillation and a Southern Hemisphere semi-annual cycle. Journal of Climate 8: 17–30. .
- 1995. The evaluation of forecasts. In Analysis of Climate Variability: Application of Statistical Techniques, von StorchH, NavarraA (eds). Springer-Verlag: Berlin. .
- 1983. Statistical field significance and its determination by Monte Carlo techniques. Monthly Weather Review 111: 46–59. , .
- 1996. SST-forced seasonal simulation and prediction skill for versions of the NCEP/MRF model. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 507–517. , , .
- 1998. Seasonal forecasting of South African rainfall using a non-linear discriminant analysis model. International Journal of Climatology 18: 147–164. .
- 1997. Simulated changes in extreme rainfall over southern Africa. International Journal of Climatology 17: 291–301. , .
- 1997. Climate variability and change over southern Africa: a reflection on underlying processes. Progress in Physical Geography 21: 23–50. , .
- 2002. Comparison of some statistical methods of probabilistic forecasting of ENSO. Journal of Climate 15: 8–29. , .
- 1996. Review of seasonal forecasting techniques and their applicability to southern Africa. Water SA 22: 203–209. , , , .
- 1993. The CSIRO 9-level Atmospheric General Circulation Model. CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research Technical Paper No. 26. , , , , .
- 1987. Cross-validation in statistical climate forecast models. Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology 26: 1589–1600. .
- 1994. Prospects for seasonal-to-interannual climate prediction and applications for sustainable development. WMO Bulletin 43: 207–215. .
- 1996. A model for multiscale disaggregation of spatial rainfall based on coupling meteorological and scaling descriptions. Journal of Geophysical Research 101: 26 347–26 361. , .
- 1988. Principal Component Analysis in Meteorology and Oceanography. Elsevier: New York. .
- 2001. Teleconnections between global sea-surface temperatures and the interannual variability of observed and model simulated rainfall over southern Africa. Journal of Hydrology 254: 1–15. , .
- 1999. GCM systematic error correction and specification of the seasonal mean Pacific–North America region atmosphere from global SSTs. Journal of Climate 12: 273–288. , .
- 1996. Reconstruction of historical sea surface temperatures using empirical orthogonal functions. Journal of Climate 9: 1403–1420. , , , .
- 1999. Local estimates of global climate change: a statistical downscaling approach. International Journal of Climatology 19: 835–861. , .
- 1988. Multivariate Analysis. Macmillan: New York. .
- 1999. Circulation anomalies associated with tropical–temperate troughs in southern Africa and the south west Indian Ocean. Climate Dynamics 15: 937–951. , .
- 1986. Climate Change and Variability in Southern Africa. Oxford University Press: Cape Town. .
- 2000. The Weather and Climate of Southern Africa. Oxford University Press: Oxford. , .
- 1988. The southern oscillation and South African summer rainfall. Journal of Cimatology 8: 577–597. , , .
- 2001. Seasonal forecasting of tropical storms using coupled GCM integrations. Monthly Weather Review 129: 2521–2537. , .
- Von StorchH, NavarraA (eds). 1995. Analysis of Climate Variability: Application of Statistical Techniques. Springer-Verlag: Berlin.
- 1991. Prediction of seasonal rainfall in the north Nordeste of Brazil using eigenvectors of sea-surface temperature. International Journal of Climatology 11: 711–743. , .
- Weather Bureau. 1987. Newsletter December 1987. RSA Government Printers: Pretoria.
- Weather Bureau. 1988. Newsletter February 1988. RSA Government Printers: Pretoria.
- 2000. Precipitation predictors for downscaling: observed and general circulation model relationships. International Journal of Climatology 20: 641–661. , .
- 1992. Adapting stochastic weather generation algorithms for climate change studies. Climatic Change 22: 67–84. .
- 1995. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences. Academic Press: San Diego. .
- 1997. Winter climate and atmospheric circulation patterns in the Sonoran desert region USA. International Journal of Climatology 17: 859–873. .
- 1999. The analog method as a simple statistical downscaling technique: comparison with more complicated methods. Journal of Climate 12: 2474–2489. , .