The El Niño–southern oscillation and Antarctica
Article first published online: 21 JAN 2004
Copyright © 2004 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 1–31, January 2004
How to Cite
Turner, J. (2004), The El Niño–southern oscillation and Antarctica. Int. J. Climatol., 24: 1–31. doi: 10.1002/joc.965
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2004
- Article first published online: 21 JAN 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 20 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Received: 18 APR 2002
- 1999. Climatology of the cool season Southern Hemisphere split jet. In Preprint Volume, 17th Conference on Weather Analysis and Forecasting, 13–17 September 1999, Denver, CO; 58–59. , , , , , .
- 1990. El Niño and the southern oscillation. Weather 45: 2–8. .
- 2001. Forcing of the Antarctic circumpolar wave by El Niño–southern oscillation teleconnections. Journal of Geophysical Research–Oceans 106: 9019–9038. , .
- 1988. Sea ice–atmosphere signal of the southern oscillation in the Weddell Sea, Antarctica. Journal of Climate 1: 379–388. .
- 1989. Antarctic sea—ice relationships with indices of the atmospheric circulation of the Southern Hemisphere. Climate Dynamics 3: 207–220. .
- 1990. Satellite climatology of ‘polar lows’ and broadscale climatic associations for the Southern Hemisphere. International Journal of Climatology 10: 219–246. , .
- 1988. Eddy transport of sensible heat and the life history of synoptic systems: a statistical analysis for the Southern Hemisphere winter. Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics 38: 140–152. , .
- 1993. Large-scale variability of atmospheric deep convection in relation to sea surface temperatures in the tropics. Journal of Climate 6: 1898–1913. .
- 1996. Evolution of the tropospheric split jet over the South Pacific Ocean during the 1986–89 ENSO cycle. Monthly Weather Review 124: 1711–1731. , , .
- 1983a. Antarctic sea ice variations 1973–1980. In Variations in the Global Water Budget, Street-PerrotA, BeranM, RatcliffeR (eds). Reidel Publishing: Dordrecht; 301–311. .
- 1983b. Variation of Antarctic sea ice: an update. Monthly Weather Review 111: 578–580. .
- 2001. A comparison of five numerical weather prediction analysis climatologies in southern high latitudes. Journal of Climate 14: 30–44. , .
- 1996. Interannual variations in Antarctic precipitation related to El Nino southern oscillation. Journal of Geophysical Research 101: 19 109–19 118. , , .
- DiazH, MarkgrafV (eds). 1992. El Niño: Historical and Palaeoclimatic Aspects of the Southern Oscillation. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- 1999. Aerosol chemical composition and distribution during the Pacific Exploratory Mission (PEM) tropics. Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 5785–5800. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Antarctic mesoscale regimes from satellite and conventional data. Tellus A 44: 180–196. , .
- 1982. Climatic signals of the Antarctic Ocean. Journal of Geophysical Research 87: 4269–4276. , , .
- 1996. Current status of the ECMWF re-analysis project. In Proceedings of the Seventh Conference on Global Change Studies. American Meteorological Society: Boston; 112–115. , , , , , .
- 1995. Modulation of hemispheric sea-ice cover by ENSO events. Nature 373: 503–506. .
- 1987. Sea surface temperature, surface wind divergence and convection over tropical oceans. Science 23: 657–659. , .
- 1990. Antarctic sea ice and ENSO event. Acta Oceanologia Sinica 12: 549–561 (in Chinese). , , , .
- 1997. Atmospheric meridional circulation impacts on contrasting winter sea ice extent in two years in the Pacific sector of the Southern Ocean. Tellus 49(3): 388–400. .
- 2000. A search for ENSO teleconnections in the west Antarctic Peninsula climate in Austral winter. International Journal of Climatology 20: 663–679. .
- 1965. Antarctic pack ice. In Antarctica, HathertonT (ed.). Praeger: 187–196. .
- 1990. Mesoscale vortices in the Weddell Sea region (Antarctica). Monthly Weather Review 118: 779–793. .
- 1989. Transients and the extratropical response to El Niño. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 46: 163–174. , , .
- 1997. Origins of extreme climate states during the 1982/1983 ENSO winter. Journal of Climate 10: 2859–2870. , .
- 1981. The steady linear response of a spherical atmosphere to thermal and orographic forcing. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 38: 1179–1196. , .
- 2000. Spatial and temporal patterns linking southern low and high latitudes during South Pacific warm and cold events. International Journal of Climatology 20: 793–801. , .
- 1998. Climate anomaly wave train patterns linking southern low and high latitudes during South Pacific warm and cold events. International Journal of Climatology 18: 1181–1193. , , , .
- 1997. Climate variability in the Amundsen and Bellingshausen Seas. Journal of Climate 10: 697–709. , .
- 1988. On the forcing of planetary scale Rossby waves by Antarctica. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 114: 619–637. .
- 1994. A climatology of Southern Hemisphere anticyclones. Climate Dynamics 10: 333–348. , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40-year reanalysis project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Southern Hemisphere circulation features associated with El Niño–southern oscillation events. Journal of Climate 2: 1239–1252. .
- 1989. Global climatic anomalies associated with extremes in the southern oscillation. Journal of Climate 2: 1069–1090. , .
- 1994. Recent climate variability in the vicinity of the Antarctic Peninsula. International Journal of Climatology 14: 357–369. .
- 1998. Climate change in the western Antarctic Peninsula since 1945: observations and possible causes. Annals of Glaciology 27: 571–575. , .
- 1997. Antarctic Meteorology and Climatology. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , .
- 1994. Tropical influence on the South Pacific double jet variability. In Proceedings of the NIPR Symposium on Polar Meteorology and Glaciology 8. NIPR: Tokyo; 34–45. .
- 1999. Remote sea surface temperature variations during ENSO: evidence for a tropical atmospheric bridge. Journal of Climate 12: 917–932. , , .
- 1986. On the sea level pressure of the southern oscillation. Archiv für Meteorologic, Geophysik und Biokl imatologic, Serie A 34: 385–425. , , .
- 2002. Southern Ocean climate and sea ice anomalies associated with the southern oscillation. Journal of Climate 15: 487–501. , .
- 1997. A possible ENSO signal in the Ross Sea. Geophysical Research Letters 24: 3253–3256. , .
- 1991. Methanesulfonic acid in south polar snow layers: a record of strong El Nino? Geophysical Research Letters 18: 187–190. , .
- 1992. Spatial and temporal variations of methanesulfonic acid and non-sea-salt sulfate in Antarctic ice. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 14: 245–260. , , , .
- 2001. The pelagic ecosystem of the tropical Pacific Ocean: dynamic spatial modelling and biological consequences of ENSO. Progress in Oceanography 49: 439–468. .
- 2000. Influence of tropical Pacific El Niño on the SST of the Southern Ocean through atmospheric bridge. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 3505–3508. .
- 1999. Eddies and the annular modes of climate variability. Geophysical Research Letters 26: 3133–3136. , .
- 2000. An appraisal of NCEP/NCAR reanalysis MSLP viability for climate studies in the South Pacific. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 3057–3060. , .
- 1998. Interpreting recent accumulation records through an understanding of the regional synoptic climatology: an example from the southern Antarctic Peninsula. Annals of Glaciology 27: 610–616. , , .
- 2001. An introduction to the Beyond El Nino Conference: climate variability and marine ecosystem impacts from the tropics to the Arctic. Progress in Oceanography 49: 1–6. , , , , , .
- 1991. A reexamination of the mechanism of the semiannual oscillation in the Southern Hemisphere. Journal of Climate 4: 911–925. .
- 1999. Amundsen–Ross Sea ice variability and the extratropical expression of ENSO as recorded in a South Pole glaciochemical series 1. University of New Hampshire. .
- 1986. Sea-ice and the Antarctic winter circulation: a numerical experiment. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 112: 953–969. , .
- 1997. The Pacific–South American modes and tropical convection during the Southern Hemisphere winter. Monthly Weather Review 126: 1581–1596. , .
- 1984. Some aspects of the interannual variation of mean monthly sea level pressure on the Southern Hemisphere. Journal of Geophysical Research 89: 9541–9546. , .
- 1985. Teleconnections in the Southern Hemisphere. Monthly Weather Review 113: 22–37. , .
- 1987. A GCM study on the maintenance of the June 1982 blocking in the Southern Hemisphere. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 44: 1123–1142. , , .
- 1995. Temporal variation in Antarctic sea-ice: analysis of a long term fast-ice record from the South Orkney Islands. Deep Sea Research 42: 1045–1062. , , , .
- 1999. Atmospheric signals and characteristics of accumulation in Dronning Maud Land, Antarctica. J. Geophys. Res. 104(D16): 19 191–19 212. , , .
- 1983. Global climate variations connected with sea surface temperature anomalies in the eastern equatorial Pacific Ocean for the 1958–1973 period. Monthly Weather Review 111: 1244–1258. , .
- 1983. Documentation of a southern oscillation index. Meteorological Magazine 112: 184–188. .
- 1989. Influence of the Antarctic sea-ice on the north-west Pacific subtropical high and its background of ocean–atmosphere circulation. Chinese Science Bulletin 34: 1463–1465. , .
- 1998. Slow oceanic teleconnections linking the Antarctic circumpolar wave with the tropical El Niño–southern oscillation. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 24 573–24 583. , .
- 1983. El Nino southen oscillation phenomena. Nature 302: 295–301. .
- 1989. El Niño, La Niña, and the Southern Oscillation. Academic Press: New York. .
- 1985. The southern oscillation and El Nino. Advances in Geophysics A 28: 197–215. , .
- 1984. On the reality, stability and usefulness of Southern Hemisphere teleconnections. Australian Meteorological Magazine 32: 75–82. .
- 1987. El Niño occurrences over the past four and a half centuries. Journal of Geophysical Research 92: 14 449–14 461. , , .
- 1991. Observational aspects of ENSO cycle teleconnections. In Teleconnections Linking Worldwide Climate Anomalies, GlantzMH, KatzRW, NichollsN (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 308–343. .
- RasmussenEA, TurnerJ (eds). 2003. Polar Lows: Mesoscale Weather Systems in the Polar Regions. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- 1983. Meteorological aspects of the El Niño/southern oscillation. Science 222: 1195–1202. , .
- 2002. Coastal polynyas in the southern Weddell Sea: variability in the surface energy budget. Journal of Geophysical Research–Oceans 107:C6. DOI:10.1029/2000JC000720. , , .
- 1998. ENSO-related variability in the frequency of South Pacific blocking. Monthly Weather Review 126: 3117–3123. .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with the El Niño/southern oscillation phenomena. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1606–1626. , .
- 1991. Synoptic aspects of the central Chile rainfall variability associated with the southern oscillation. International Journal of Climatology 11: 63–76. , .
- 1987. Methanesulfonic acid in Antarctic ice. Nature 330: 240–242. , .
- 1988. The southern oscillation signal in Antarctica. In Preprint Volume Second Conference on Polar Meteorology and Oceanography, MadisonWI, 29–31 March. AMS: Boston; 141–144. , , .
- 1990. Low-frequency variations of the zonal mean state of the Southern Hemisphere troposphere. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan 68: 461–471. .
- 1986. The circulation changes induced by the removal of Antarctic sea ice in a July general circulation model. In Preprints Volume, Second International Conference on Southern Hemisphere Meteorology, Wellington, New Zealand, 1–5 December. AMS: Boston; 107–110. , .
- 1995. Relationships between the interannual variability of Antarctic sea ice and the southern oscillation. Journal of Climate 8: 637–647. , .
- 1996. A climatology of anticyclones and blocking for the Southern Hemisphere. Monthly Weather Review 124: 245–263. .
- 1993a. Antarctic climate anomalies surrounding the minimum in the southern oscillation index. In Antarctic Meteorology and Climatology: Studies Based on Automatic Weather Stations, BromwichDH, StearnsCR (eds). Antarctic Research Series, Volume 61. AGU: 149–174. , .
- 1993b. Antarctic pressure and temperature anomalies surrounding the minumum in the southern oscillation index. Journal of Geophysical Research 98(D7): 13 071–13 083. , .
- 1991. Temporal variability in Antarctic marine ecosystems—periodic fluctuations in the phocid seals. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 48: 631–639. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Annular modes in the extratropical circulation. Part I: month-to-month variability. Journal of Climate 13: 1000–1016. , .
- 1975a. A quasi-biennial standing wave in the Southern Hemisphere and interrelations with sea surface temperature. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 101: 55–74. .
- 1975b. Reply to comment on ‘A quasi-biennial starting wave in the Southern Hemisphere and interrelations with sea surface temperature’ by K. E. Trenberth. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 101: 174–176. .
- 1976. Spatial and temporal variations of the southern oscillation. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 102: 639–653. .
- 1997. The definition of El Niño. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 78: 2771–2777. .
- 1996. The 1990–1995 El Niño–southern oscillation event: longest on record. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 57–60. , .
- 1987. On the evolution of the southern oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 115: 3078–3096. , .
- 1994. Summer-season mesoscale cyclones in the Bellingshausen–Weddell region of the Antarctic and links with the synoptic-scale environment. International Journal of Climatology 14: 871–894. , .
- 1985. The southern oscillation part IV: the precursors south of 15°S to the extremes of the oscillation. Monthly Weather Review 113: 2063–2074. , .
- 1987. The southern oscillation, VI, anomalies of sea level pressure on the Southern Hemisphere and of Pacific sea surface temperature during the development of a warm event. Monthly Weather Review 115: 370–379. , .
- 2001. Weaning mass variation of southern elephant seals at King George Island and its possible relationship with ‘El Nino’ and ‘La Nina’ events. Antarctic Science 13: 37–40. , , .
- 1923. Correlation in seasonal variations of weather VIII. Memorandum of the Indian Meteorological Department. Indian Meteorological Department; 75–131. .
- 1924. Correlation in seasonal variations of weather IX. Memorandum of the Indian Meteorological Department. Indian Meteorological Department. .
- 1998. Diagnosis and short-lead time prediction of summer rainfall in tropical North Africa at interannual and multidecadal timescales. Journal of Climate 11: 3167–3191. .
- 1991. Antarctic sea ice variations and seasonal air temperature relationships. Journal of Geophysical Research 96: 15 119–15 130. , , .
- 1993. Methanesulfonic acid in coastal Antarctic snow related to sea-ice extent. Geophysical Research Letters 20: 443–446. , , .
- 1996. An Antarctic circumpolar wave in surface pressure, wind, temperature and sea-ice extent. Nature 380: 699–702. , .
- 1994. Interaction between Antarctic sea ice and ENSO events. In Proceedings of NIPR Symposium on Polar Meteorology and Glaciology; 95–110. , , , , .
- 2000. Antarctic sea ice extent variability and its global connectivity. Journal of Climate 13: 1697–1717. , .
- 1983. Variability of Antarctic sea ice and changes in carbon dioxide. Science 220: 1005–1012. , , .