Modification of growing-season surface temperature records in the northern great plains due to land-use transformation: verification of modelling results and implication for global climate change
Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2004
Copyright © 2004 Royal Meteorological Society
International Journal of Climatology
Volume 24, Issue 3, pages 311–327, 15 March 2004
How to Cite
Mahmood, R., Hubbard, K. G. and Carlson, C. (2004), Modification of growing-season surface temperature records in the northern great plains due to land-use transformation: verification of modelling results and implication for global climate change. Int. J. Climatol., 24: 311–327. doi: 10.1002/joc.992
- Issue online: 27 FEB 2004
- Version of Record online: 11 FEB 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 4 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUN 2003
- 2003. A regional atmospheric model study of the impact of irrigation on midsummer surface energy budget in the U. S. High Plains. Monthly Weather Review 131: 556–564. , , , , .
- 1988. The climatic impacts of a Sonoran vegetation discontinuity. Climate Change 13: 99–109. .
- 1998. Impacts of land degradation on historical temperature records from the Sonoran desert. Climate Change 40: 669–681. , , , , .
- 1997. Effects of land use on the climate of the United States. Climate Change 37: 449–486. .
- 1999. Observational evidence for reduction of daily maximum temperature by croplands in the Midwest United States. Journal of Climate 14: 2430–2442. .
- 2000. Sensitivity of climate to changes in NDVI. Journal of Climate 13: 2277–2292. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Effects of land cover conversion on surface climate. Climatic Change 52: 29–64. , , , , .
- 1992. Simulated diurnal range and variability of surface temperature in a global climate model for present and doubled CO2 climates. Journal of Climate 5: 920–943. , , .
- 1987. Meteorological conditions during heat waves and droughts in United States Great Plains. Monthly Weather Review 115: 1253–1269. , .
- 1999. Potential impacts on Colorado Rocky Mountain weather due to land use changes on the adjacent Great Plains. Journal of Geophysical Research 104: 16 673–16 690. , , , .
- 2000. Simulated impacts of historical land cover changes on global climate in northern winter. Climate Dynamics 16: 93–105. , , , , .
- 2000. A mechanism for the influence of vegetation on the response of the diurnal temperature range to changing climate. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 3381–3384. , , , , , .
- 1999. Effects of clouds, soil moisture, precipitation and water vapor on diurnal temperature range. Journal of Climate 12: 2451–2473. , , .
- 2001. The warm season dip in diurnal temperature range over the eastern United States. Journal of Climate 14: 354–360. , .
- 2000. Dependence of extreme daily maximum temperatures on antecedent soil moisture in the contiguous United States during summer. Journal of Climate 13: 2641–2651. , , .
- 2001. Climatic consequences of leaf presence in the eastern United States. Journal of Climate 14: 598–614. , , .
- 1999. A green planet versus a desert world: estimating the effect of vegetation extremes on the atmosphere. Journal of Climate 12: 3156–3163. , , .
- 1996. The influence of land use/land cover on climatological values of the diurnal temperature ranges. Journal of Climate 9: 2941–2944. , , .
- 1999. Temperature trends of the U. S. Historical Climatology Network based on satellite-designated land use/land cover. Journal of Climate 12: 1344–1348. , , .
- 1995. Hydroclimatology of continental watersheds. 1. Temporal analyses. Water Resources Research 31: 655–675. , , .
- 2000. Vegetation–climate feedbacks in the conversion of tropical savannas to grassland. Journal of Climate 13: 1593–1602. , .
- 2000. Postulated feedbacks of deciduous forest phenology on seasonal climate patterns in the western Canadian interior. Journal of Climate 13: 4229–4243. , , .
- HoughtonJT, Meira FilhoLG, CallenderBA, HarrisN, KattenbergA, MaskellK (eds). 1995. Climate Change 1995: The Science of Climate Change. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK.
- 1981. Determining soil-induced plant water potential depressions in Alfalfa by means of infrared thermometry. Agronomy Journal 73: 826–830. , , , .
- 1993. A new perspective on recent global warming: asymmetric trends of daily maximum and minimum temperature. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 74: 1007–1023. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Climatology of the diurnal temperature range annual cycle in the United States. Climate Research 9: 197–211. , , , .
- 2002. Anthropogenic land use change in the North American tall grass–short grass transition and modification of near surface hydrologic cycle. Climate Research 21: 83–90. , .
- 2003. Simulating sensitivity of soil moisture and evapotranspiration under heterogeneous soils and land uses. Journal of Hydrology 280: 72–90. , .
- An analysis of simulated long-term soil moisture data for three land uses under contrasting hydroclimatic conditions in the northern Great Plains. Journal of Hydrometeorology. , . In press.
- 2001. Soil moisture monitoring and modeling in the Great Plains. In Automated Weather Stations for Applications in Agriculture and Water Resources Management: Current Use and Future Perspectives, HubbardKG, SivakumarMVK (eds). High Plains Climate Center/World Meteorological Organization: Lincoln, NE/Geneva; 163–171. , , .
- 2002. Land use change and modification of near-surface thermal records in the northern Great Plains. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 83: 504. , , .
- 1995. Analysis of variability and diurnal range of daily temperature in a nested regional climate model: comparison with observations and doubled CO2 results. Climate Dynamics 11: 193–209. , , , .
- 2002. Hydrological land surface response in a tropical regime and midlatitudinal regime. Journal of Hydrometeorology 3: 39–56. , , .
- 2002. Overlooked issues in the U. S. National Climate and IPCC assessments: an editorial essay. Climate Change 52: 1–11. .
- 2002. The influence of land-use change and landscape dynamics on the climate system: relevance to climate-change policy beyond the radiative effect of greenhouse gases. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series A 360: 1705–1719. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Some observations on climate variability as seen in daily temperature structure. Atmospheric Research 37: 19–31. , , , .
- 1990. Soil water assessment model for several crops in the high plains. Agronomy Journal 82: 1141–1148. , .
- 1992. Phenology and springtime surface-layer change. Monthly Weather Review 120: 2570–2578. .
- 1996. Examining the spring discontinuity in daily temperature ranges. Journal of Climate 9: 803–808. .
- 1990. Spring phenology: nature's experiment to detect the effect of green-up on surface maximum temperatures. Monthly Weather Review 118: 883–890. , .
- 1989. The impact of crop areas in northeastern Colorado on midsummer mesoscale thermal circulations. Monthly Weather Review 117: 809–825. , , , , , , .
- 1985. Influence of snow cover and soil moisture on monthly air temperature. Monthly Weather Review 113: 756–768. , , .
- 1992. Correlation between Palmer drought indices and various measures of air temperature in the climatic zones of the United States. Physical Geography 13: 349–367. .
- 2002. The impact of land cover change and increasing carbon dioxide on the extreme and frequency of maximum temperature and convective precipitation. Geophysical Research Letters 29:DOI:10.1029/2001GL013476. , .