Stacy Johnson, MSc, BSc, RN, is a lecturer at the University of Nottingham, England. Her research interests include diversity and entrepreneurship in nursing. The research reported here was carried out as part of a Mary Seacole Leadership Award. She may be reached at Stacy.Johnson@nottingham.ac.uk.
Theme 6: Diversity Excellence
Degrees of Success
Safeguarding an Ethnically Diverse Nursing Workforce in Nursing Education
Version of Record online: 30 MAY 2013
Copyright © 2013 Bridgepoint Education, Inc. and Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Psychological Issues in Organizational Culture
Special Issue: Reframing Diversity Interventions in Austere Times
Volume 3, Issue S1, pages 321–345, May 2013
How to Cite
Johnson, S., Scammell, J. and Serrant-Green, L. (2013), Degrees of Success. J of Psych Issues in Org Culture, 3: 321–345. doi: 10.1002/jpoc.21069
- Issue online: 30 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 30 MAY 2013
- on behalf of the CANDLES project team. (2006). Final Report on the Campaign to Attract Nurses/midwives from Diverse Local Ethnic groups in Slough. Unpublished. Retrieved from http://www.maryseacole.com/maryseacole/pages/candles_project.html ,
- 2007). Ethnicity and degree attainment. Department for Education and Skills Research Report RW92. Retrieved from https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/standard/publicationDetail/Page1/RW92 , & (
- 1996). Faculty commitment: Retaining minority nursing students in majority institutions. Journal of Nursing Education, 35, 298–303. , & (
- 1981). Systems thinking, systems practice. Chichester, England: Wiley. (
- 2001). An evaluation of the recruitment of black and minority ethnic students to pre-registration nursing. Nursing Times Research, 6(2), 626–635. (
- 2003). Learning as becoming in vocational education and training: Class, gender and the role of vocational habitus. Journal of Vocational Education & Training, 55(4), 471–498. , , , & (
- 2003). Minority ethnic students in higher education: Interim Report, Institute for Employment Studies (Research Report No. 448). London, England: Department for Education and Skills. , , , & (
- 2004). Why the difference? A closer look at higher education minority ethnic students and graduates (Research Report No. 552). London, England: Department for Education and Skills. , , , & (
- Council of Deans of Health. (2010). BME engagement in nurse training. Retrieved from http://www.councilofdeans.org.uk/
- 2001). Ethnicity and nursing careers. In L. Culley & S. Dyson (Eds.), Ethnicity and nursing practice (pp. 211–231). London, England: Palgrave. , & (
- 1997). Exploring the intersection between cultural competency and managed behavioral health care policy: Implications for state and county mental health agencies. Alexandria, VA: National Technical Assistance Center for State Mental Health Planning. (
- 2003). A longitudinal study of burnout and attrition in nursing students. Journal of Advances Nursing Studies, 43(1), 71–81. , , & (
- Department of Health. (2008). High quality care for all: NHS Next Stage Review final report. London, England: Department of Health.
- Department of Health. (2010a). Frontline care: The future of nursing and midwifery in England. Report of the Prime Minister's Commission on the Future of Nursing and Midwifery in England. London, England: Department of Health.
- Department of Health. (2010b). Equality and excellence: Liberating the NHS. London, England: Department of Health.
- 2005). Barriers influencing the success of racial and ethnic minority students in nursing programmes. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 16, 155–162. (
- 2001). Student nurse attrition from pre-registration courses: Investigating methodological issues. Nurse Education Today, 21, 170–180. (
- 2006). Equal access to training for black and minority ethnic nurses. Nursing Standard, 20(42), 41–49. (
- 1999). Qualitative research in health: An introduction. London, England: Sage. (
- Higher Education Academy/Equality Challenge Unit. (2008). Ethnicity, gender and degree attainment project—Final report. Retrieved from http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/assets/York/documents/ourwork/research/Ethnicity_Gender_Degree_Attainment_Jan08.pdf
- Higher Education Funding Council for England. (2011). National student survey findings and trends 2006 to 2010. Bristol, England: Author.
- 1998). The “black nurse”: Ever an endangered species? Nursing Times Research, 3(5), 325–338. , , & (
- 2009). Raising young people's higher education aspirations: Teachers' attitude. United Kingdom: IPSOS MORI. , , , , , & (
- 1999). Culture in special education: Building a posture of reciprocity in parent-professional relationships. Baltimore, MD: Paul Brookes. , & (
- 1998). Stressors and coping strategies among successful female African baccalaureate nursing students. Journal of Nursing Education, 37(1), 5–12. (
- 2003). Using focus groups in research. London, England: Continuum. (
- 2002). Making a difference: The implications for nurse education. Nursing Times, 98(20), 38. (
- 1993). The number of ethnic minority students in British higher education: Some grounds for optimism. Oxford Review of Education, 19(2), 167–182. (
- 2008). Diversity, attrition and transition into nursing. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 64(1), 49–59. , , , , & (
- National Union of Students. (2011). Race for equality: A report on the experiences of black students in further and higher education. London, England: Author.
- 1988). A description of the effects of current initiatives to attract quality undergraduate nursing students. Journal of Professional Nursing, 4(4), 268–273. , & (
- 2005). Diversity, attrition and transition into nursing: The DATING Project final report. United Kingdom: Author. , , , , & (
- Nottingham Insight: Community and Voluntary sector. (2012). Nottingham's population. Retrieved from http://www.nottinghaminsight.org.uk/insight/partnerships/voluntary/population.aspx
- 1998). An overview of the methodological approach of action research. In R. Richardson (Ed.), Theory and practice of action research. João Pessoa, Brazil: Universidade Federal da Paraíba. (English version) Retrieved from http://www.web.ca/∼robrien/papers/arfinal.html (
- Office of National Statistics. (2006). Mid-2006 population estimates: Estimated resident population. Economic and Social Data Service 2006. Retrieved from http://www.esds.ac.uk/government/vitals/datasets/ons/2006.asp.
- 1970). Three dilemmas in action research. Human Relations, 23(6), 499–513. (
- 2008). The attainment of ethnic minority students in UK higher education. Studies in Higher Education, 33(1), 33–48. (
- 2011). Black and minority ethnic (BME) students' participation in higher education: improving retention and success—a synthesis of research evidence. Retrieved from http://www.heacademy.ac.uk/assets/documents/inclusion/ethnicity/BME_synthesis_FINAL.pdf (
- 1978). An assessment of the scientific merits of action research. Administrative Science Quarterly, 23, 582–603. , & (
- 2011). Poverty, ethnicity and education. JRF Programme paper: poverty and ethnicity. The Joseph Rowntree Foundation. Retrieved from http://www.jrf.org.uk/sites/files/jrf/poverty-ethnicity-evidence-summary.pdf , , & (
- Tribal. (2006). A review of black and minority ethnic participation in higher education: Summary. Report prepared by Tribal for Aimhigher. Greater Merseyside, England.
- 2010). Did they get it right? A re-examination of school exclusions and race equality. London, England: Runnymede Trust. (
- 2007). Factors influencing the recruitment and retention of black and minority ethnic (BME) and overseas student teachers in a northern university. Retrieved from www.education-today.net/wilson/bme.pdf , , & (
- 2011). Review of vocational education—The Wolf report. London, England: Department for Education. (
- 1996). New directions in action research. London, England: Falmer Press. (