Karl Portz, MSc, is the diversity and inclusion advisor to the Yorkshire Ambulance Service. His current work involves working with seldom heard communities to address some of their health inequalities. He has 25 years of experience in the ambulance service, which ranges from working as a frontline paramedic to managing operational staff. He may be reached at email@example.com.
Theme 6: Diversity Excellence
Rising Ambulance Life-Threatening Call Demand in High and Low Socioeconomic Areas
Version of Record online: 30 MAY 2013
Copyright © 2013 Bridgepoint Education, Inc. and Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Psychological Issues in Organizational Culture
Special Issue: Reframing Diversity Interventions in Austere Times
Volume 3, Issue S1, pages 306–320, May 2013
How to Cite
Portz, K., Newell, R. and Archibong, U. (2013), Rising Ambulance Life-Threatening Call Demand in High and Low Socioeconomic Areas. J of Psych Issues in Org Culture, 3: 306–320. doi: 10.1002/jpoc.21095
- Issue online: 30 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 30 MAY 2013
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (2011). National Healthcare Quality Report, 2003. Retrieved from www.ahrq.gov/qual/nhqr03/nhqr03.htm
- Ambulance Leadership Forum. (2009). Clinical leadership in the ambulance service: Report of the national steering group on clinical leadership in the ambulance service. Retrieved from www.ambulanceleadershipforum.org
- Ambulance Leadership Forum. (2011). Ambulance quality indicators. Retrieved from www.ambulanceleadershipforum.org
- Audit Commission. (1998). A life in the fast lane. London, England: Book Point Ltd.
- 2008). Modified early warning score predicts the need for hospitals admission and in-hospital mortality. Emergency Medical Journal, 25, 674–678. , , & (
- 1999). Transitions and inequalities in acute myocardial infarction mortality in New South Wales. Australian NZ Journal of Public Health, 23(4), 343–351. (
- 2002). The relationship between use of NHS Direct and deprivation in south-east London: An ecological analysis. Oxford Journal, 25(2), 174–176. , , & (
- Communities and Local Government. (2007). English indices of deprivation. Retrieved from www.communities.gov.uk
- Communities and Local Government. (2010). Tackling race inequality. Retrieved from www.communities.gov.uk/publications/communities/tacklingraceinequalitystatement
- Communities and Neighbourhoods. (2004). The English indices of deprivation. Retrieved from www.communities.gov.uk
- Data Protection Act. (1998). Retrieved from www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/contents
- Department of Health. (1999). NHS primary care walk-in centres selection of pilot sites for 1999/2000. London, England: Crown Copyright.
- Department of Health. (2000). Evaluation of NHS Direct first wave sites second interim report to the Department of Health. London, England: Crown Copyright.
- Department of Health. (2005). Taking healthcare to the patient: Transforming NHS ambulance services. London, England: Crown Copyright. Retrieved from www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4114269
- Department of Health. (2006). Health profile of England. London, England: Crown Copyright. Retrieved from www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4139556
- Department of Health. (2007). Our NHS, our future. London, England: Crown Copyright. Retrieved from www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_079078
- Department of Health. (2008). Health inequalities, progress and next steps. London, England: Crown Copyright. Retrieved from www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_085307
- Department of Health. (2009). Tackling demand together: A toolkit for improving urgent and emergency care pathways by understanding increases in 999 demand. London, England: Crown Copyright.
- Department of Health. (2010a). The NHS Constitution: The NHS belongs to us all. London, England: Crown Copyright. Retrieved from www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_113613
- Department of Health. (2010b). Equity and excellence: Liberating the NHS. London, England: Crown Copyright. Retrieved from www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/LiberatingtheNHS/index.htm
- Department of Health. (2010c). The operating framework for the NHS in England 2011/12. London, England: Crown Copyright. Retrieved from www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_122738
- Department of Health. (2011a). NHS standard contracts for the ambulance service. London, England: Crown Copyright.
- Department of Health. (2011b). Guidance for the NHS in delivering out of hours GP services. Retrieved from www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Urgentandemergencycare/DH_113752
- 1987). The black-white achievement gap. British Medical Journal, 294(6566), 199. , & (
- 1999). Essentials of immediate medical care (2nd ed.). London, England: Churchill Livingstone. (
- 2011, February 15). Trends in mortality from 1965 to 2008 across the English north-south divide: Comparative observational study. British Medical Journal, p. 342. , , & (
- Health Development Agency. (2009). Smoking and health inequalities. Retrieved from www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/documents/smoking_and_health_inequalities.pdf
- 2002). 999 EMS forum: Harrogate, 29 June–1 July. Emergency Medical Journal, 19(2), 164–168. , & (
- Institute of Healthcare Improvement. (2011). Early warning system: Score cards. Retrieved from www.ihi.org/IHI/Topics/CriticalCare//IntensiveCare/ImprovementStories/FSEarlyWarningSystemScoreCardsThatSaveLives.htm
- Joint Royal Colleges Ambulance Liaison Committee. (2001). Retrieved from www.2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/research/hsri/emergencycare/prehospitalcare/jrcalcstakeholderwebsite/guidelines/
- 2006). Health inequalities: A challenge for Europe. London, England: European Commission. , , , & (
- Liverpool Medical Institution. (2011). Timeline of ambulance development. Retrieved from www.lmi.org.uk/library/Library
- London Ambulance Service. (2011). A brief history. Retrieved from www.londonambulance.nhs.uk
- Marmot Review. (2010). Fair society, healthy lives: Strategic review of health inequalities in England. Retrieved from www.marmotreview.org/
- National Audit Office. (2011). Department of Health transforming NHS ambulance services. London: TSO (The Stationery Office).
- Office of National Statistics. (2001). Retrieved from www.statistics.gov.uk/hub/population/
- 1998). Misuse of the London ambulance service: How much and why? Journal of Accident and Emergency Medicine, 15(6), 368–370. , , , & (
- 2005). Changes in the emergency workload of the London Ambulance Service. Emergency Medicine Journal, 22, 56–59. , , , & (
- 1997). Origins of health inequalities in a national population sample. The Lancet, 350(9091), 1584–1589. , & (
- Public Health Act. (1925). Chapter 71 15 and 16 Geo 5. Retrieved from http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5/15-16/71
- 2008). Regional and social differences in coronary heart disease. British Heart Foundation Research Group, University of Oxford Press. , , , & (
- 1998). A higher prevalence of health problems in low income groups. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 52, 548–557. , , & (
- 1996). Making differences matter: A new paradigm for managing diversity. Harvard Business Review, 74(5), 79–90. , & (
- 2010). A big society in Yorkshire and Humber. South Yorkshire, England: Sheffield Hallam University Press. , , , & (
- Yorkshire Ambulance Service. (2011). Annual report. Retrieved from www.yas.nhs.uk/Publications/Annual_Report.html
- Yorkshire Futures. (2009). Progress in the region. Retrieved from www.yorkshirefutures.com/resources/progress-region