Research Article - Themed Set
Paleoenvironments during Younger Dryas-Early Holocene retreat of the Greenland Ice Sheet from outer Disko Trough, central west Greenland
Article first published online: 23 SEP 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Journal of Quaternary Science
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 27–40, January 2014
How to Cite
JENNINGS, A. E., WALTON, M. E., Ó COFAIGH, C., KILFEATHER, A., ANDREWS, J. T., ORTIZ, J. D., DE VERNAL, A. and DOWDESWELL, J. A. (2014), Paleoenvironments during Younger Dryas-Early Holocene retreat of the Greenland Ice Sheet from outer Disko Trough, central west Greenland. J. Quaternary Sci., 29: 27–40. doi: 10.1002/jqs.2652
- Issue published online: 26 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 18 DEC 2012
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC), UK
- National Science Foundation, USA. Grant Number: NSF-OPP-0713755
- 1987. Late Quaternary sedimentation in Baffin Bay. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 24: 1833–1846. ,
- 2010. History of the Greenland Ice Sheet: paleoclimatic insights. Quaternary Science Reviews 29: 1728–1756. , , , et al.
- 1981. The annual cycle of temperature, currents and water masses in Disko Bugt and adjacent waters, West Greenland. Meddelelser om Grønland. Bioscience 5: 1–36.
- 2012. Varying sediment sources (Hudson Strait, Cumberland Sound, Baffin Bay) to the NW Labrador Sea slope between and during Heinrich events 0 to 4. Journal of Quaternary Science 27: 475–484. , , , et al.
- 2011. Surface (sea floor) and near-surface (box cores) sediment mineralogy in Baffin Bay as a key to sediment provenance and ice sheet variations. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 48: 1–21. ,
- 1998. Late Quaternary detrital carbonate (DC-) events in Baffin Bay (67° -74° N): do they correlate with and contribute to Heinrich Events in the North Atlantic? Quaternary Science Reviews 17: 1125–1137. , , , et al.
- 1996. Abrupt changes in marine conditions, Sunneshine Fiord, eastern Baffin Island, N.W.T. (ca. 66° N) during the last deglacial transition: Links to the Younger Dryas cold-event and Heinrich, H-0. In Late Quaternary Paleoceanography of North Atlantic Margins, Andrews JT, Austin W, Bergsten H, Jennings HE (eds). Geological Society of London: London; 11–27. , , , et al.
- 2002. Chronology of the last recession of the Greenland ice sheet. Journal of Quaternary Science 17: 211–217. ,
- 1994. Quaternary marine stratigraphy and geochronology in central West Greenland. Boreas 23: 194–195. , , , et al.
- 2011. Relative sea level changes during the Holocene in the Sisimuit area, south-western Greenland. Journal of Quaternary Science 26: 353–361. , ,
- 2009. Partitioning Recent Greenland mass loss. Science 326: 984–986. , , , et al.
- 2000a. A monograph on the physical oceanography of the Greenland waters. Danish Meteorological Institute Scientific Report, 00-12.
- 2000b. Air-sea-ice conditions off southwest Greenland, 1981–1997. Journal of Northwest Atlantic Fisheries Science 26: 1–14.
- 2004. Ecosystem variability in West Greenland Waters. E:journal of Northwest Atlantic Fishery Science 34, part 2: 13–28. , ,
- 2006. The Greenland ice sheet and global sea-level rise. Science 311: 963–964.
- 2010. Submarine landforms and shallow acoustic stratigraphy of a 400 km-long fjord-shelf-slope-transect, Kangerlussuaq margin, East Greenland. Quaternary Science Reviews 29: 3359–3369. , ,
- 1996. Large-scale sedimentation on the glacier-influenced polar North Atlantic margins: long-range side-scan sonar evidence. Geophysical Research Letters 23: 3535–3538. , , , et al.
- 2008. Submarine glacial landforms and rates of ice-stream collapse. Geology 36: 819–822. , , , et al.
- 1994. The Late Quaternary sedimentary record in Scoresby Sund, East Greenland. Boreas 23: 294–310. , , , et al.
- 2002. The Laurentide and Innuitian Ice Sheet during the Last Glacial Maximum. Quaternary Science Reviews 21: 9–31. , , , et al.
- 2011. Paleoecology of North Atlantic high –resolution sites during the Holocene – The Skagerrak-Kattegat and West Greenland Shelf. PhD Thesis, Aarhus University, Denmark.
- 2009. Marine geophysical evidence for former expansion and flow of the Greenland Ice Sheet across the north-east Greenland continental shelf. Journal of Quaternary Science 24: 279–293. , , , et al.
- 2011. The Greenland ice sheet, the last 300 000 years: a review. In Quaternary Glaciations − Extent and Chronology. Part (IV) A closer look, Ehlers E, Gibbard P (eds). Elsevier: Amsterdam. , , , et al.
- 1987. A Simple method for the determination of ice-Rafted debris in sediment Cores. Polarforschung 57: 123–126.
- 2007. Transfer functions: methods for quantitative paleoceanography based on microfossils. In Proxies in Late Cenozoic Paleoceanography. Developments in Marine Geology, Hillaire-Marcel C, de Vernal A (eds). Elsevier: Amsterdam; 523–563. ,
- 2005. Runoff and mass balance of the Greenland ice sheet: 1958–2003. Journal of Geophysical Research 110: D13108. , , , et al.
- 2001. Cold marine indicators of the late Quaternary: the new dinoflagellate cyst genus Islandinium and related morphotypes. Journal of Quaternary Science 16: 621–636. , ,
- 2012. Glacimarine sedimentary processes and depositional environments in an embayment fed by West Greenland ice streams. Marine Geology 311: 1–16. , ,
- 2008. Acceleration of Jakobshavn Isbrae triggered by warm subsurface ocean waters. Nature Geoscience 1: 659–664. , , , et al.
- 1990. Paleoclimatic implications of an early Holocene glacier advance on Disko Island, West Greenland. Boreas 19: 297–311. , , , et al.
- 1985. Environmental background. In Quaternary Environments: Eastern Canadian Arctic, Baffin Bay, and Western Greenland, Andrews JT (ed.). Boston: Allen Press; 26–69. , ,
- 2011a. Holocene environmental evolution of the SE Greenland Shelf north and south of the Denmark Strait: Irminger and East Greenland Current interactions. Quaternary Science Reviews 30: 980–998. , ,
- 2002. High-resolution study of Icelandic tephras in the Kangerlussuaq Trough, southeast Greenland, during the last deglaciation. Journal of Quaternary Science 17: 747–757. , , , et al.
- 2006. Freshwater forcing from the Greenland Ice Sheet during the Younger Dryas: evidence from southeastern Greenland shelf cores. Quaternary Science Reviews 25: 282–298. , , , et al.
- 1994. Foraminiferal assemblages from the fjords and shelf of eastern Greenland. Journal of Foraminiferal Research 24: 123–144. ,
- 2011b. The Holocene history of Nares Strait: Transition from glacial bay to Arctic-Atlantic throughflow. Oceanography 24: 26–41. , , , et al.
- 2007. C2 Version 1.5 User Guide. Software for Ecological and Palaeoecological Data Analysis and Visualisation. Newcastle University, Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK.
- 2008. Deglacial and Holocene conditions in northernmost Baffin Bay: sediments, foraminifera, diatoms and stable isotopes. Boreas 37: 346–376. , , , et al.
- 2011. Multiple-stage deglacial retreat of the sourthern Greenland Ice Sheet linked with Irminger Current warm water transport. Paleoceanography 26: PA3204. , , , et al.
- 1999. MVSP e A Multivariate Statistical Package for Windows, ver. 3.1. Kovach Computing Services, Pentraeth, Wales, UK.
- 2004. Greenland Ice Sheet: increased coastal thinning. Geophysical Research Letters 31: L24402. , , , et al. et al.
- 2001. Late Quaternary circulation changes and sedimentation in Disko Bugt and adjacent fjords, central West Greenland. Geology of Greenland Survey Bulletin 189: 41–47. , , , et al.
- 2011. The Quaternary Lancaster Sound trough-mouth fan, NW Baffin Bay. Journal of Quaternary Science 26: 511–522. , ,
- 2011. A 100-year record of ocean temperature control on the stability of Jakobshavn Isbrae, West Greenland. Geology 39: 867–870. , , , et al.
- 2005. Early Holocene paleoceanography and deglacial chronology of Disko Bugt, West Greenland. Quaternary Science Reviews 24: 1741–1755. , , , et al.
- 2009. Back to the future: Greenland's contribution to sea-level change. GSA Today 19: 4–10.
- 2002. A revised chronology for the Fjord Stade moraine in Disko Bugt, West Greenland. Journal of Quaternary Science 17: 561–579. ,
- 2003. Late Weichselian deglacial history of Disko Bugt, West Greenland, and the dynamics of the Jakobshavns Isbrae ice stream. Boreas 32: 208–226. ,
- 2006. Early Holocene history of the West Greenland ice sheet and the GH-8.2 event. Quaternary Science Reviews 25: 904–922. , ,
- 1969. The assessment of a method for the determination of absolute pollen frequencies. New Phytologist 68: 161–166.
- 2011. Late Quaternary Ice-Ocean Interactions in Central West Greenland. Doctoral thesis, Durham University. Available at Durham E-Theses Online.
- 2006. Mid- to late- Holocene hydrological and climatic variability in Disko Bugt, central West Greenland. Holocene 16: 357–367. , ,
- 2009. Late glacial and Holocene marine records from the Independence Fjord and Wandel Sea regions, North Greenland. Polar Research 27: 209–221. , ,
- 2003. Palaeo-ice streams, trough mouth fans and high-latitude continental slope sedimentation. Boreas 32: 37–55. , , , et al.
- 2009. Marine geophysical and geological investigations of past flow and stability of a major Greenland ice stream in the late Quaternary, August–September 2009 RRS JAMES CLARK ROSS Cruise Report- JR175 West Greenland and Baffin Bay.
- 2013a. Glacimarine lithofacies, provenance, and depositional processes on a West Greenland trough-mouth fan. Journal of Quaternary Science 28: 13–26. , , , et al.
- 2013b. An extensive and dynamic ice sheet on the West Greenland shelf during the last glacial cycle. Geology 41: 219–222. , , , et al.
- 2011. Application of visible/near infrared derivative spectroscopy to Arctic paleoceanography. IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental. Science 14: 012011.
- 2009. Provenance of Holocene sediment on the Chukchi-Alaskan margin based on combined diffuse spectral reflectance and quantitative X-ray diffraction analysis. Global and Planetary Change 68: 73–84. , , , et al.
- 2012. Holocene palaeoceanographic evolution off West Greenland. Holocene 23: 374–387. , , , et al.
- 2011. Centennial scale benthic foraminiferal record of late Holocene oceanographic variability in Disko Bugt, West Greenland. Quaternary Science Reviews 30: 2815–2826. , , , et al.
- 2013. Establishment of modern circulation pattern at c. 6000 cal a BP in Disko Bugt, central West Greenland: opening of the Vaigat Strait. Journal of Quaternary Science 28: 480–489. , , , et al.
- 1994. Late- and postglacial environments in the northern Barents Sea, west of Franz Josef Land. Polar Research 13: 197–207. ,
- 2009. IntCal09 and Marine09 radiocarbon age calibration curves, 0–50,000 years cal BP. Radiocarbon 51: 111–150. , , , et al. et al.
- 2008. Oceanographic Investigations off West Greenland 2007. NAFO SCR Doc. 08/3, SCIENTIFIC COUNCIL MEETING – June 2008. , ,
- 2006. Changes in the velocity structure of the Greenland Ice Sheet. Science 311: 986–990. ,
- 2005. Streamlined bedrock terrain and fast ice flow, Jakobshavns Isbrae, West Greenland: implications for ice stream and ice sheet dynamics. Boreas 34: 25–42. ,
- 2010. Ice stream influence on West Greenland Ice Sheet dynamics during the Last Glacial Maximum. Journal of Quaternary Science 25: 850–864. , , , et al.
- 1999. Distribution of recent dinoflagellate cysts in surface sediments from the North Atlantic Ocean and adjacent seas in relation to sea-surface parameters. American Association of Stratigraphic Palynologists Foundation, Contribution series 35. , , , et al.
- 1986. Reconnaissance survey of benthonic foraminifera from Baffin Island fiord environments. Arctic 39: 232–239. ,
- 1991. Relationship of foraminifera and thecamoebian distributions to sediments contaminated by pulp mill effluent: Saguenay Fiord, Quebec, Canada. Marine Micropaleontology 17: 255–283. , ,
- 2003. Fram Strait ice export during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries reconstructed from a multiyear sea ice index from Southwestern Greenland. Journal of Climate 16: 2782–2791. ,
- 2008. Variable North Atlantic climate seesaw patterns documented by a late Holocene marine record from Disko Bugt, West Greenland. Marine Micropaleontology 68: 66–83. , , , et al.
- 2012. Late Quaternary chronostratigraphic framework of deep Baffin Bay glaciomarine sediments from high-resolution paleomagnetic data. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 13: Q0AO03. , ,
- 2006. Margin segmentation of Baffin Bay/Davis Strait, eastern Canada based on seismic reflection and potential field data. Marine and Petroleum Geology 23: 127–144. , ,
- 2013. Physical and magnetic properties of Baffin Bay sediments: a record of environmental and paleomanetic secular variation changes during the Holocene. Journal of Quaternary Science (in press). ,
- 2010. CALIB 6.0. Available online at: calib.qub.ac.uk/calib. , ,
- 2004. The circulation, water masses and sea-ice of Baffin Bay. Progress in Oceanography 63: 183–228. , , , et al.
- Reconstructing past sea ice cover of the Nothern Hemisphere from dinocyst assemblages: status of the approach. Quaternary Science Reviews. [http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.quascirev.2013.06.022] , , , et al.
- 2008. Reconstructing sea-ice conditions in the Arctic and subarctic prior to human observations. In Arctic Sea Ice Decline: Observations Projections, Mechanisms, and Implications, Weaver E (ed.), AGU, Washington D.C., Geophysical Monograph Series 180: 27–45. , , , et al.
- 1997. Trough Mouth fans − palaeoclimate and ice-sheet monitors. Quaternary Science Reviews 16: 865–886. ,
- 2007. Quaternary glaciation history and glaciology of Jakobshavn Isbræ and the Disko Bugt region, West Greenland: a review. Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland Bulletin 14: 1–78. ,
- 2012. Glacier extent during the Younger Dryas and 8.2-ka event on Baffin Island, Arctic Canada. Science 337: 1330–1333. , , , et al.
- 2011. Response of Jakobshavn Isbrae, Greenland, to Holocene climate change. Geology 39: 131–134. , , , et al.