Apparent OSL ages of modern deposits from Fåbergstølsdalen, Norway: implications for sampling glacial sediments
Version of Record online: 16 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Journal of Quaternary Science published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of Quaternary Research Association
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Journal of Quaternary Science
Volume 28, Issue 7, pages 673–682, October 2013
How to Cite
KING, G. E., ROBINSON, R. A. J. and FINCH, A. A. (2013), Apparent OSL ages of modern deposits from Fåbergstølsdalen, Norway: implications for sampling glacial sediments. J. Quaternary Sci., 28: 673–682. doi: 10.1002/jqs.2666
- Issue online: 16 OCT 2013
- Version of Record online: 16 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 8 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAY 2013
- NERC. Grant Number: F008589/1
- 1998. Dose-rate conversion factors: update. Ancient TL 16: 37–46. ,
- 1985. Thermoluminescence Dating. Academic Press: London.
- 2007. Residual OSL signals from modern Greenlandic river sediments. Geochronometria 26: 1–9.
- 2012. Luminescence signals from modern sediments in a glaciated bay, NW Svalbard. Quaternary Geochronology 10: 250–256. ,
- 2006. Optical dating and computer modelling of arroyo epicycles in the American Southwest. DPhil Thesis, St Peter's College, University of Oxford.
- 2006. Statistical modelling of single grain quartz D-e distributions and an assessment of procedures for estimating burial dose. Quaternary Science Reviews 25: 2475–2502. ,
- 1994. Paraglacial slope adjustment and resedimentation following recent glacier retreat, Fåbergstølsdalen, Norway. Arctic and Alpine Research 26: 255–269. ,
- 2001. GRADISTAT: a grain size distribution and statistics package for the analysis of unconsolidated sediments. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 26: 1237–1248. ,
- 2003. Developments in radiation, stimulation and observation facilities in luminescence measurements. Radiation Measurements 37: 535–541. , , , et al.
- 2009. Bayesian analysis of radiocarbon dates. Radiocarbon 51: 337–360.
- 1985. Caledonides of southwestern Norway. In The Caledonide Orogen, Gee DE, Sturt BA (eds). John Wiley & Sons: Chichester; 619. ,
- 1999. Paraglacial modification of glacigenic sediment. Geografiska Annaler, Series A: Physical Geography 81: 409–419. ,
- 2002. Timing, equilibrium-line altitudes and climatic implications of two early-Holocene glacier readvances during the Erdalen Event at Jostedalsbreen, western Norway. Holocene 12: 17–25. , , , et al.
- 2003. Distinguishing quartz and feldspar in single grain luminescence measurements. Radiation Measurements 37: 161–165.
- 2005. Luminescence Analyst. University of Wales: Aberystwyth.
- 2008. Single-grain optical dating of Quaternary sediments: why aliquot size matters in luminescence dating. Boreas 37: 589–612.
- 1957. Brazos River bar: a study in the significance of grain size parameters. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology 27: 3–26. ,
- 1992. Limitations of thermoluminescence to date waterlain sediments from glaciated fiord environments of western Spitsbergen, Svalbard. Quaternary Science Reviews 11: 61–70. ,
- 2001. OSL dating of coarse-grain fluvial quartz using single-aliquot protocols on sediments from NE Peloponnese, Greece. Quaternary Science Reviews 20: 783–787. ,
- 2008. Luminescence dating of glacial and associated sediments: review, recommendations and future directions. Boreas 37: 636–659. ,
- 1999. Optical dating of single and multiple grains of quartz from jinmium rock shelter, northern Australia, Part 1, Experimental design and statistical models. Archaeometry 41: 339–364. , , , et al.
- 1988. Thermoluminescence dating of glacially transported sediments − some considerations. Quaternary Science Reviews 7: 277–285.
- 1997. Fluctuations in the thermoluminescence signal of suspended sediment in an Alpine glacial meltwater stream. Quaternary Science Reviews 16: 281–290.
- 1960. Geology of Norway. I Kommisjon Hos H. Aschehoug, & Co.: Oslo.
- 1960. Geologisk kart over Norge Berggrunnskart. Norges Geologiske Undersøkelse Nr. 208: Oslo. ,
- 2002. Retrospective dosimetry: dose evaluation using unheated and heated quartz from a radioactive waste storage building. Radiation Protection Dosimetry 101: 525–530. , , , et al.
- 2012. Fundamental and Sedimentalogical Controls on the Luminescence of Quartz and Feldspar. PhD Thesis, University of St Andrews.
- 2007. Luminescence dating of proglacial sediments from the Eastern Alps. Quaternary International 164–165: 21–32. , , , et al.
- 2007. Problems associated with luminescence dating of Late Quaternary glacial sediments in the NW Scottish Highlands. Quaternary Geochronology 2: 243–248. , , , et al.
- 2000. Holocene glacier variations in central Jotunheimen, southern Norway based on distal glaciolacustrine sediment cores. Quaternary Science Reviews 19: 1625–1647. , , , et al.
- 1997. A preliminary history of Holocene colluvial (debris-flow) activity, Leirdalen, Jotunheimen, Norway. Journal of Quaternary Science 12: 117–129. , , , et al.
- 1979. Thermoluminescence dating: beta-dose attenuation in quartz grains. Archaeometry 21: 61–72.
- 1995. Measurement of equivalent doses in quartz from contemporary water-lain sediments using optically stimulated luminescence. Quaternary Science Reviews 14: 365–371. , ,
- 1997. Determining the burial time of single grains of quartz using optically stimulated luminescence. Earth and Planetary Sciences Letters 152: 163–180. ,
- 2000. Luminescence dating of quartz using an improved single-aliquot regenerative-dose protocol. Radiation Measurements 32: 57–73. ,
- 2003. Environmental dose rate heterogeneity of beta radiation and its implications for luminescence dating: Monte Carlo modelling and experimental validation. Radiation Measurements 37: 305–313. , , , et al.
- 1991. Holocene glacial and climate history of the Jostedalsbreen region, Western Norway; evidence from lake sediments and terrestrial deposits. Quaternary Science Reviews 10: 87–114. , , , et al.
- 2001. Light transmittance through dry, sieved sand: some test results. Ancient TL 19: 13–17.
- 1997. Disequilibria in the uranium decay series in sedimentary deposits at Allen's Cave, Nullarbor Plain, Australia: implications for dose rate determinations. Radiation Measurements 27: 433–443. , ,
- 1994. Cosmic ray contributions to dose rates for luminescence and ESR dating: Large depths and long-term time variations. Radiation Measurements 23: 497–500. ,
- R Development Core Team. 2011. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing: Vienna.
- 2002a. Absorbed dose fraction for 87Rb β particles. Ancient TL 20: 25–28.
- 2002b. Addendum to ‘absorbed dose fraction for 87Rb β particles’. Ancient TL 20: 47.
- 2009. IntCal09 and Marine09 radiocarbon age calibration curves, 0–50,000 years cal BP. Radiocarbon 51: 1111–1150. , , , et al.
- 1997. The effect of thermal transfer on the zeroing of the luminescence of quartz from recent glaciofluvial sediments. Quaternary Science Reviews 16: 291–298. ,
- 2000. Luminescence dating of Quaternary sediments in the Himalaya and High Asia: a practical guide to its use and limitations for constraining the timing of glaciation. Quaternary International 65–66: 49–61.
- 2004. Glacier variations in Breheimen, southern Norway: relative-age dating of Holocene moraine complexes at six high-altitude glaciers. Holocene 14: 899–910. , ,
- 2007. Holocene colluvial (debris-flow and water-flow) processes in eastern Norway: stratigraphy, chronology and palaeoenvironmental implications. Journal of Quaternary Science 22: 619–635. ,
- 2004. Optically stimulated luminescence dating of Late Quaternary glaciogenic sediments in the upper Hunza valley: validating the timing of glaciation and assessing dating methods. Quaternary Science Reviews 23: 175–191. ,
- 2001. Optical resetting in large drainage basins: tests of zeroing assumptions using single-aliquot procedures. Quaternary Science Reviews 20: 879–885. , ,
- 2010. Anomalous luminescence of subglacial sediment at Haut Glacier d'arolla, Switzerland – a consequence of resetting at the glacier bed? Boreas 40: 446–458. , , , et al.
- 2009a. Luminescence dating of glaciofluvial deposits: a review. Earth-Science Reviews 97: 145–158. , , , et al.
- 2009b. Testing an approach to OSL dating of Late Devensian glaciofluvial sediments of the British Isles. Journal of Quaternary Science 24: 785–801. , , , et al.
- 2002. Optically stimulated luminescence dating of fluvial deposits: a review. Boreas 31: 303–322.