Holocene warming marked by abrupt onset of longer summers and reduced storm frequency around Greenland
Version of Record online: 19 DEC 2013
Copyright © 2013 The Authors. Journal of Quaternary Science published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of Quaternary Research Association
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Journal of Quaternary Science
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 99–104, January 2014
How to Cite
MAYEWSKI, P. A., SNEED, S. B., BIRKEL, S. D., KURBATOV, A. V. and MAASCH, K. A. (2014), Holocene warming marked by abrupt onset of longer summers and reduced storm frequency around Greenland. J. Quaternary Sci., 29: 99–104. doi: 10.1002/jqs.2684
- Issue online: 26 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 19 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 24 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 AUG 2013
- National Science Foundation Office of Polar Programs. Grant Number: 1203640
- Climate Change Institute members Michael Handley
- Tom Beers and Skylar Haines
- US National Ice Core Laboratory
- 1993. Abrupt increase in Greenland snow accumulation at the end of the Younger Dryas event. Nature 362: 527–529. , , , et al.
- 1993. ‘Little Ice Age’ summer temperature variations: their nature and relevance to recent global warming trends. Holocene 3: 367–376. ,
- 2013. Identification of contrasting seasonal sea ice conditions during the Younger Dryas. Quaternary Science Reviews 79: 74–86. , , , et al.
- EPICA Community Members. 2004. Eight glacial cycles from an Antarctic ice core. Nature 429: 623–628.
- 1992. Chemical characterization of iron in atmospheric aerosols. Atmospheric Environment 26: 2545–2548. ,
- 1997. Distribution of Ca, Fe, K and S between soluble and insoluble material in the Greenland Ice Core Project ice core. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: 26,615–26,624. , , , et al.
- 1997. Glaciochemistry of polar ice cores: a review. Reviews of Geophysics 35: 219–243. ,
- 2006. Recent warming inconsistent with natural association between temperature and atmospheric circulation over the last 2000 years. Climate of the Past Discussions 2: 1–29. ,
- 1997. Major features and forcing of high latitude northern hemisphere atmospheric circulation over the last 110,000 years. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: 26,345–26,366. , , , et al.
- 1993. The atmosphere during the Younger Dryas. Science 261: 195–197. , , , et al.
- 1994. Changes in atmospheric circulation and ocean ice cover over the North Atlantic during the last 41,000 years. Science 263: 1747–1751. , , , et al.
- 2004. Holocene climate variability. Quaternary Research 62: 243–255. , , , et al.
- 2002. A 1400-year high-resolution record of atmospheric circulation over the North Atlantic and Asia. Holocene 12: 257–266. ,
- 1997. A 110,000-year history of change in continental biogenic emissions and related atmospheric circulation inferred from the Greenland Ice Sheet Project Two ice core. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: 26,489–26,504. , , , et al.
- 1997. The Greenland Ice Sheet Project Two depth–age scale: methods and results. Journal of Geophysical Research 102: 26,411–26,424. , , , et al.
- 2011. Direct chemical analysis of frozen ice cores by UV-laser ablation ICP-MS. Journal of Analytical Atomic Spectrometry 26: 2391–2395. ,
- 1995. Complexity of Holocene climate as reconstructed from a Greenland ice core. Science 270: 1962–1964. , , , et al.
- 2013. Ocean lead at the termination of the Younger Dryas cold spell. Nature Communications 4: 1664–/. , , , et al.
- 2006. A new Greenland ice core chronology for the last glacial termination. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: 1–46. , , , et al.
- 2003. Application of LA-ICP-MS in polar ice studies. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 375: 1265–1275. , , , et al.
- 2001. Laser ablation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry: a new tool for trace element analysis in ice cores. Freseniuss' Journal of Analytical Chemistry 370: 629–636. , , , et al.
- 2008. High-resolution Greenland ice core data show abrupt climate change happens in few years. Science 321: 680–684. , , , et al.
- 2009. Anatomy of a Dansgaard-Oeschger warming transition: high-resolution analysis of the North Greenland ice core project ice core. Journal of Geophysical Research 114: 8102–8111. , , , et al.
- 1992. A comparison of major chemical species input timing and accumulation at South Pole and Summit Greenland. Atmospheric Environment 26: 2045–2054. , ,