This article is published in Research Synthesis Methods as a special issue on Network Meta-analysis, edited by Georgia Salanti, University of Ioannina, Greece.
Special Issue Paper
Consistency and inconsistency in network meta-analysis: model estimation using multivariate meta-regression†
Article first published online: 20 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Research Synthesis Methods
Special Issue: Special issue on Network Meta-analysis
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 111–125, June 2012
How to Cite
White, I. R., Barrett, J. K., Jackson, D. and Higgins, J. P. T. (2012), Consistency and inconsistency in network meta-analysis: model estimation using multivariate meta-regression. Res. Synth. Method, 3: 111–125. doi: 10.1002/jrsm.1045
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 20 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 11 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 JUN 2011
- Medical Research Council. Grant Numbers: G0902100, G0600650
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: DMS-0635449
- 1998. General methods for monitoring convergence of iterative simulations. J Comput Graph Stat 7: 434–455. , .
- 2005. Simultaneous comparison of multiple treatments: combining direct and indirect evidence. Br Med J 331: 897–900. , , .
- 2010. Checking consistency in mixed treatment comparison meta-analysis. Stat Med 29: 932–944. , , , .
- 2011. mvmeta: multivariate meta-analysis and meta-regression. R package version 0.2.3. .
- 2008. The binomial distribution of meta-analysis was preferred to model within-study variability. J Clin Epidemiol 61: 41–51. , , .
- 2009. A re-evaluation of random-effects meta-analysis. J Roy Stat Soc A 172: 137–159. , , .
- 2012. Consistency and inconsistency in network meta-analysis: concepts and models for multi-arm studies. Res Synth Meth 3: 98–110. , , , , , .
- 2002. Advanced methods in meta-analysis: multivariate approach and meta-regression. Stat Med 21: 589–624. , , .
- 2011. Multivariate meta-analysis: potential and promise. Stat Med 30: 2481–2498. , , .
- 2005. How vague is vague? A simulation study of the impact of the use of vague prior distributions in MCMC using WinBUGS. Stat Med 15: 2401–2428. , , , , .
- 2006. Assessing evidence inconsistency in mixed treatment comparisons. J Am Stat Assoc 101: 447–459. , .
- 2009. Modeling between-trial variance structure in mixed treatment comparisons. Biostatistics 10: 792–805. , .
- 2011. Linear inference for mixed treatment comparison meta-analysis: a two-stage approach. Res Synth Meth 2: 43–60. , , , , .
- 2002. Network meta-analysis for indirect treatment comparisons. Stat Med 21: 2313–2324.
- 2000. WinBUGS – a Bayesian modelling framework: concepts, structure, and extensibility. Stat Comput 10: 325–337. , , , .
- 2011. Interpretation of random effects meta-analyses. Br Med J 342: d549. , , .
- 2008. Evaluation of networks of randomized trials. Stat Methods Med Res 17: 279–301. , , , .
- 2009. A case study of multiple-treatments meta-analysis demonstrates that covariates should be considered. J Clin Epidemiol 62: 857–864. , , .
- 2011. Graphical methods and numerical summaries for presenting results from multiple-treatment meta-analysis: an overview and tutorial. J Clin Epidemiol 64: 163–171. , , .
- 2009. Methodological problems in the use of indirect comparisons for evaluating healthcare interventions: survey of published systematic reviews. Br Med J 338: b1147. , , , , , .
- 2002. Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit. J Roy Stat Soc B Stat Meth 64: 583–639. , , , .
- 2010. Random effects meta-analysis of event outcome in the framework of the generalized linear mixed model with applications in sparse data. Stat Med 29: 3046–3067. , , .
- 2004. What to add to nothing? Use and avoidance of continuity corrections in meta-analysis of sparse data. Stat Med 23: 1351–1375. , , .
- 1994. Why sources of heterogeneity in meta-analysis should be investigated. Br Med J 309: 1351–1355. .
- 1999. Explaining heterogeneity in meta-analysis: a comparison of methods. Stat Med 18: 2693–2708. , .
- 2009. Multivariate random-effects meta-analysis. Stata J 9: 40–56. .
- 2011. Multivariate random-effects meta-regression. Stata J 11: 255–270. .