Pinpointing needles in giant haystacks: use of text mining to reduce impractical screening workload in extremely large scoping reviews
Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Research Synthesis Methods published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Research Synthesis Methods
Volume 5, Issue 1, pages 31–49, March 2014
How to Cite
Shemilt, I., Simon, A., Hollands, G. J., Marteau, T. M., Ogilvie, D., O'Mara-Eves, A., Kelly, M. P. and Thomas, J. (2014), Pinpointing needles in giant haystacks: use of text mining to reduce impractical screening workload in extremely large scoping reviews. Res. Synth. Method, 5: 31–49. doi: 10.1002/jrsm.1093
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 23 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 4 JAN 2013
- UK Department of Health Policy Research Programme. Grant Number: 107/0001
- 2005. Scoping studies: towards a methodological framework. International Journal of Social Research Methodology 8: 19–32. , .
- 2009. Supporting systematic reviews using text mining. Social Science Computer Review 27: 509–523. , , , , , .
- 2008. Unpacking your literature search toolbox: on search styles and tactics. Health Information and Libraries Journal 25: 313–317. .
- 2003. Formulating answerable questions. In Evidence Based Practice: A Handbook for Information Professionals, Booth A, Brice A (eds.). Facet, London, 61–70. .
- 2012. Finding relevant studies. In An Introduction to Systematic Reviews, Gough D, Oliver S, Thomas J (eds). Sage, London, 107–134. , , .
- Cabinet Office Behavioural Insights Team. 2010. Applying Behavioural Insight to Health. Cabinet Office, London.
- 2012. Studying the potential impact of automated document classification on scheduling a systematic review update. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 12: 33. , , .
- 2010. Evidence-based medicine, the essential role of systematic reviews, and the need for automated text mining tools. In Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Health Informatics Symposium. IHI'10, Arlington, VA, 376–380. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Reducing workload in systematic review preparation using automated citation classification. Journal of the American Medical Informantics Association. 13: 206–219. , , , .
- 2008. Chapter 9: analysing data and undertaking meta-analyses. In Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Higgins JPT, Green S (eds.). John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 243–296. , , .
- 2010. MINDSPACE: Influencing Behaviour Through Public Policy. Cabinet Office, London. , , , , .
- 2012. Moving forward. In An Introduction to Systematic Reviews, Gough D, Oliver S, Thomas J (eds). Sage, London, 257–262. , , .
- 2012. Commonality and diversity in reviews. In Gough D, Oliver S, Thomas J (eds). An Introduction to Systematic Reviews. Sage, London, 35–66. , .
- 2008. Chapter 1: introduction. In Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Higgins JPT, Green S (eds.). John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 3–10. , , , , , .
- 2005. Effectiveness and efficiency of search methods in systematic reviews of complex evidence: audit of primary sources. BMJ 331: 1064–1065. , .
- 2002. Systematic or Unsystematic, Is That The Question? Some Reflections on the Science, Art and Politics of Reviewing Research Evidence. Health Development Agency Public Health Steering Group, London. .
- 2013. Altering Choice Architecture to Change Population Health Behaviour: a Large-Scale Conceptual and Empirical Scoping Review of Interventions Within Micro-Environments. Behaviour and Health Research Unit, Cambridge. , , , , , , , .
- House of Lords Science and Technology Select Committee. 2011. Behaviour Change: 2nd Report of Session 2010–12 (HL Paper 179). The Stationery Office Limited, London.
- 2011. Identifying and Reviewing Evidence to Inform the Conceptualisation and Population of Cost-Effectiveness Models. National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence Decision Support Unit, Sheffield. , , , .
- 2012. The judgement process in evidence based medicine and health technology assessment. Social Theory and Health 10: 1–19. , .
- 2008. Chapter 6: searching for studies. In Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Higgins JPT, Green S (eds.). John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 95–150. , , .
- 2012. Changing human behaviour to prevent disease: the importance of targeting automatic processes. Science 337: 1492–1495. , , .
- 2011. Judging nudging: can nudging improve population health? BMJ 342: 263–265. , , , , .
- 2012. The Value and Benefit of Text Mining to UK Further and Higher Education. Digital Infrastructure. Joint Information Systems Committee, Bristol. , .
- 2008. Chapter 5: defining the review question and developing criteria for including studies. In Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, Higgins JPT, Green S (eds). John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 83–74. , , .
- 2012. Describing and analysing studies. In An Introduction to Systematic Reviews, Gough D, Oliver S, Thomas J (eds). Sage, London, 135–152. , .
- 2010. Literature searching for social science systematic reviews: consideration of a range of search techniques. Health Information and Libraries Journal 27: 114–122. , , , , .
- 2013. Effects of Changes in the Economic Environment on Diet- and Physical Activity-Related Behaviours and Corollary Outcomes: a Large-Scale Scoping Review. Behaviour and Health Research Unit, Cambridge. , , , , , , , .
- Economic interventions for population diet and physical activity behaviour change: a systematic scoping review. PLoS One. , , , , , , et al. in press.
- 2012. “Extreme reviewing”: use of text-mining to reduce impractical screening workload in extremely large scoping reviews. Oral paper presentation at the 20th Cochrane Colloquium, Auckland, New Zealand. , , , , O'Mara-Eves A, , , .
- 2008. Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness. Yale University Press, New Haven CT. , .
- 2011. Applications of text mining within systematic reviews. Research Synthesis Methods 2: 1–14. , , .
- Strengthening Primary Health Care through Public Health and Primary Care Collaboration Team. 2012. Methods, strategies and technologies used to conduct a scoping literature review of collaboration between primary care and public health. Primary Health Care Research and Development 1: 219–236. , , , , , , , O-Mara L, ,
- 2010a. Semi-automated screening of biomedical citations for systematic reviews. BMC Bioinformatics 11: 55. , , , , .
- 2010b. Active learning for biomedical citation screening. In: Proceedings of the 16th ACM SIGKDD international conference on Knowledge discovery and data mining. ACM, KDD ’10, New York, NY, 173–182. , , , .
- 2012. Toward modernizing the systematic review pipeline in genetics: efficient updating via data mining. Genetics in Medicine 14: 663–669. , , , , , , , , .