Using logic models to capture complexity in systematic reviews
Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Research Synthesis Methods
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 33–42, March 2011
How to Cite
Anderson, L. M., Petticrew, M., Rehfuess, E., Armstrong, R., Ueffing, E., Baker, P., Francis, D. and Tugwell, P. (2011), Using logic models to capture complexity in systematic reviews. Res. Synth. Method, 2: 33–42. doi: 10.1002/jrsm.32
- Issue online: 27 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 APR 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 21 MAR 2011
- Manuscript Received: 29 JUL 2010
- 2004. Logic model for food supply and population health: reviews for the Task Force on Community Preventive Services. , , , , .
- 2009. Model-based meta-analysis. In The Handbook of Research Synthesis and Meta-Analysis, 2nd edn., CooperH, HedgesLV, ValentineJ (eds). The Russell Sage Foundation: New York, 377–394. .
- 1987. The functions of program theory. In Using program theory in evaluation. New directions for program evaluation, no.33. BickmanL (ed). Jossey-Bass: San Francisco, 5–17. .
- 2007.Evaluating and Interpreting Research Syntheses in Adult Learning and Literacy. National College Transition Network, New England Literacy Resource Center/World Education, Inc., Boston, Mass. .
- 2009. Research synthesis as a scientific process. In The Handbook of Research Synthesis and Meta-Analysis, 2nd edn, CooperH, HedgesLV, ValentineJ (eds). Russell Sage Foundation: New York. , .
- 2008. Developing and evaluating complex interventions: the new Medical Research Council guidance. BMJ 337: a1655. , , , , , .
- 2010. The cost of US foods as related to their nutritive value. Am J Clin Nutr Nov; 92(5): 1181–1188. .
- 2010. Can low-income Americans afford a healthy diet? Nutr Today Nov; 44(6): 246–249. , .
- 2008. Structuring policy problems. Public Policy Analysis. Pearson Prentice Hall: Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. .
- 2006. Effects of therapeutic interventions for foster children on behavioral problems, caregiver attachment, and stress regulatory neural systems. Ann NY Acad Sci Dec; 1094: 215–225. , , , , .
- 2007. Logic Modeling Methods in Program Evaluation. John Wiley and Sons: San Francisco. .
- 2001. Root shock: the consequences of African American dispossession. J Urban Health Mar; 78(1): 72–80. .
- 2001. Current methods of the US Preventive Services Task Force: a review of the process. Am J Prev Med Apr; 20(3 Suppl): 21–35. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Theorising interventions as events in systems. Am J Community Psychol Jun; 43(3– 4): 267–276. , , .
- 1997. Improving meta-analysis for policy purposes. In Meta-Analysis of Drug Abuse Prevention Programs, BukoskiWJ, ToblerNS (eds). Government Printing Office: Washington DC. .
- 2010. Evaluation for community-based programs: the integration of logic models and factor analysis. Eval Program Plann Aug 33(3): 223–233. , , , , , .
- 2006. Complex causal process diagrams for analyzing the health impacts of policy interventions. Am J Public Health Mar 96(3): 473–479. , .
- Kellog Foundation. 2004. Logic Model Development Guide. Kellog Foundation: Battle Creek, MI.
- 2008. Searching for studies. In Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions, HigginsJPT, GreenS (eds). John Wiley & Sons Ltd,: West Sussex, England. , , .
- 2009. Multidemensional treatment foster care as a preventive intervention to promote resiliency among youth in the child welfare system. J Pers 77(6): 1869–1902. , , .
- 2001. Ordinary magic: resilience processes in development. Am Psychol 56: 227–238. .
- 2001. Logic models: a systems tool for performance management. Eval Program Plann 24: 73–81. , , .
- 1982. Coercive Family Process. Castilia: Eugene, OR. .
- 2005. Realist review: a new method of systematic review designed for complex policy interventions. J Health Serv Res Policy 10(Suppl 1): S1–S21. , , , .
- 2006. Systematic Reviews in the Social Sciences: a Practical Guide. Blackwell Publishing, Oxford, UK. , .
- 2011. Agricultural policies, food and public health. EMBO Rep Jan 12(1): 11–18. .
- 1995. Reasoning in evaluation: challenges for the practitioner. In Reasoning in evaluation: inferential links and leaps, FournierDM (ed). Jossey-Bass Inc., San Francisco, California. .
- 2009. Can we systematically review studies that evaluate complex interventions? PLoS Med Aug 6(8): e1000086. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Complex interventions or complex systems? Implications for health economic evaluation. BMJ Jun 7 336(7656): 1281–1283. , , .
- 2010. Assessing equity in systematic reviews: realising the recommendations of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health. BMJ 341: c4739. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. How can theory-based evaluation make greater headway? Eval Rev 21: 501–524. .
- 1998. Evaluation. Prentice Hall: Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. .
- 2005. Screening and interventions for childhood overweight: a summary of evidence for the US Preventive Services Task Force. Pediatrics Jul 116(1): e125–e144. , , , , .
- 2010. Effectiveness of weight management interventions in children: a targeted systematic review for the USPSTF. Pediatrics Feb 125(2): e396–e418. , , , , .
- WHO. 2009. Systems Thinking for Health Systems Strengthening. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- 2009. Advantages of certainty and uncertainty. In The Handbook of Research Synthesis and Meta-Analysis CooperH, HedgesLV, ValentineJ (eds). Russell Sage Foundation: New York. , .
- 1996. Developing evidence-based clinical practice guidelines: lessons learned by the US Preventive Services Task Force. Annu Rev Public Health 17: 511–538. , , , .
- 2006. Impacts of after-school programs on student outcomes. Campbell Syst Rev 3: 2006. , , .