Professor of Surgery.
Update on the melanoma staging system: The importance of sentinel node staging and primary tumor mitotic rate†
Article first published online: 19 AUG 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Surgical Oncology
Special Issue: Seminars in Surgical Oncology: Melanoma
Volume 104, Issue 4, pages 379–385, 15 September 2011
How to Cite
Balch, C. M., Gershenwald, J. E., Soong, S.-j. and Thompson, J. F. (2011), Update on the melanoma staging system: The importance of sentinel node staging and primary tumor mitotic rate. J. Surg. Oncol., 104: 379–385. doi: 10.1002/jso.21876
The members of the AJCC Melanoma Committee that developed the new staging guidelines: Charles M. Balch, MD (Chair), Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD; Jeffrey E. Gershenwald, MD (Vice-chair), The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX; Seng-Jaw Soong, MD (Vice-chair), University of Alabama at Birmingham; Michael B. Atkins, MD, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group; David R. Byrd, MD, University of Washington, Seattle, WA; Antonio C. Buzaid, MD, Hospital Sirio-Libanes, San Paulo, Brazil; Natale Cascinelli, MD, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, WHO Melanoma Program, San Pio X Hospital, Milan, Italy; Alistair J. Cochran, MD, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA; Daniel G. Coit, MD, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY; Alexander M. M. Eggermont, MD, Erasmus University MC—Director, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands; UICC representative David P. Frishberg, MD, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA (CAP representative); Keith T. Flaherty, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Boston, MA; Phyllis A. Gimotty, PHD, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA; Allan C. Halpern, MD, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY; Alan N. Houghton, Jr., MD, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY; Marcella M. Johnson, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX; John M. Kirkwood, MD, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, and Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group; Kelly M. McMasters, MD, PhD, University of Louisville Medical Center, Louisville, KY, Sunbelt Melanoma Trial Group; Martin F. Mihm, Jr., Dana Farber Brigham and Women's Cancer Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA; Donald L. Morton, MD, John Wayne Cancer Institute at Saint John's Health Center, Santa Monica, CA; Merrick I. Ross, MD, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX; Arthur J. Sober, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston MA; Vernon K. Sondak, MD, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL; Kristen Stephens, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY; John F. Thompson, MD, Melanoma Institute Australia and the University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
- Issue published online: 17 AUG 2011
- Article first published online: 19 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 13 DEC 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!
Patients and/or caregivers may access this content for use in relation to their own personal healthcare or that of a family member only. Terms and conditions will apply.