Professor of Surgery.
Update on the melanoma staging system: The importance of sentinel node staging and primary tumor mitotic rate†
Article first published online: 19 AUG 2011
Copyright © 2011 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
Journal of Surgical Oncology
Special Issue: Seminars in Surgical Oncology: Melanoma
Volume 104, Issue 4, pages 379–385, September 2011
How to Cite
Balch, C. M., Gershenwald, J. E., Soong, S.-j. and Thompson, J. F. (2011), Update on the melanoma staging system: The importance of sentinel node staging and primary tumor mitotic rate. J. Surg. Oncol., 104: 379–385. doi: 10.1002/jso.21876
The members of the AJCC Melanoma Committee that developed the new staging guidelines: Charles M. Balch, MD (Chair), Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD; Jeffrey E. Gershenwald, MD (Vice-chair), The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX; Seng-Jaw Soong, MD (Vice-chair), University of Alabama at Birmingham; Michael B. Atkins, MD, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA, Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group; David R. Byrd, MD, University of Washington, Seattle, WA; Antonio C. Buzaid, MD, Hospital Sirio-Libanes, San Paulo, Brazil; Natale Cascinelli, MD, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, WHO Melanoma Program, San Pio X Hospital, Milan, Italy; Alistair J. Cochran, MD, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA; Daniel G. Coit, MD, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY; Alexander M. M. Eggermont, MD, Erasmus University MC—Director, Daniel den Hoed Cancer Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands; UICC representative David P. Frishberg, MD, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA (CAP representative); Keith T. Flaherty, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Boston, MA; Phyllis A. Gimotty, PHD, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA; Allan C. Halpern, MD, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY; Alan N. Houghton, Jr., MD, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY; Marcella M. Johnson, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX; John M. Kirkwood, MD, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, and Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group; Kelly M. McMasters, MD, PhD, University of Louisville Medical Center, Louisville, KY, Sunbelt Melanoma Trial Group; Martin F. Mihm, Jr., Dana Farber Brigham and Women's Cancer Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA; Donald L. Morton, MD, John Wayne Cancer Institute at Saint John's Health Center, Santa Monica, CA; Merrick I. Ross, MD, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX; Arthur J. Sober, MD, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston MA; Vernon K. Sondak, MD, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL; Kristen Stephens, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY; John F. Thompson, MD, Melanoma Institute Australia and the University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
- Issue published online: 17 AUG 2011
- Article first published online: 19 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JAN 2011
- Manuscript Received: 13 DEC 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
If your institution is a registered Wiley Online Library customer, you can log in under your institution's name to see our content. This access is provided by Shibboleth or Athens.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!
Patients and/or caregivers may access this content for use in relation to their own personal healthcare or that of a family member only. Terms and conditions will apply.