Perspectives on the Regional Economic Value of a Pilgrimage
Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
International Journal of Tourism Research
Special Issue: Innovative Approaches to Tourism Marketing and Management Research
Volume 16, Issue 4, pages 407–414, July/August 2014
How to Cite
Saayman, A., Saayman, M. and Gyekye, A. (2014), Perspectives on the Regional Economic Value of a Pilgrimage. Int. J. Tourism Res., 16: 407–414. doi: 10.1002/jtr.1936
- Issue online: 1 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 25 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 7 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 JUL 2012
- 2011. Evaluating major events and avoiding the mercantilist fallacy. Economic Papers 30(1):48-59.
- 2000. Zion and Pentecost: The Spirituality and Experience of Pentecostal and Zionist/Apostolic Churches in South Africa. African Initiatives in Christian Mission; University of South Africa: Pretoria. .
- 1999. The Lekganyanes and prophecy in the Zion Christian Church: the significance of Zionist churches in South Africa. Journal of Religion in Africa 29(3):285-312. .
- 2005.The economic impact of the London 2012 Olympics. Research report 2005/5, ChristelDeHaan Tourism and Travel Institute, Nottingham University. .
- 2010. Religion and development from below: independent Christianity in South Africa. Journal of Religion in Africa 40:307-330.
- 2006.Economic impact studies: instruments for political shenanigans? Journal of Travel Research 45:67-82. .
- 2005.Estimating the impacts of special events on an economy. Journal of Travel Research 43:351-359. , , .
- 2006. Assessing the economic impacts of events: a computable general equilibrium approach. Journal of Travel Research 45:59-66. , , .
- 1997. Christianity in South Africa: A Political, Social, and Cultural History. University of California Press: Berkeley. , .
- 1994. Assessing the economic impacts of travel and tourism – introduction to travel economic impact estimation. In Ritchie JRB, Goeldner CR, (eds). Travel, Tourism and Hospitality Research: A Handbook for Managers and Researchers. 2nd ed. Wiley:London. .
- 2000. Religion as a source of social change in the new South Africa. Journal of Religion in Africa 30(3):310-343. .
- 2003. Local economic impacts: the British open. Annals of Tourism Research 30:406-425.
- 2010. A note on confidence interval estimation and margin of error. Journal of Statistics Education 18(1):1-8. , .
- 2005. Discovering Statistics Using SPSS. (2nd ed). SAGE: London, Thousand Cales .
- 2009. Determining sample size. Available at http://www.edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/pd/pd00600.pdf (accessed 22 March 2010). .
- 2011. A study on Islamic tourism: a Malaysian experience. Presented at the 2nd international conference on humanities. Historical and Social Sciences 17:184-189. , , .
- Limpopo Provincial Government. 2009. Limpopo Employment, Growth and Development Plan (2009–2014). Limpopo Department of Economic Development: Polokwane.
- 2010. Sustainable development of spiritual tourism in Gujarat. Available at http://www.gujaratcmfellowship.org/document/Fellows/Spiritual-Tourism_Himanshu%20Patel_16Nov10.pdf (accessed 12 March 2012). , .
- 2008. State sovereignty and alternative community in Southern Africa: exploring the Zion Christian Church as the building block for deeper notions of regional community. Department of political and international studies, Rhodes University. (Masters – Dissertation). .
- 1986. Religion, development and African Christian identity. In Petersen, KH, (ed). Religion, Development and African Identity. Scandinavian Institute of African Studies: Uppsala.
- 1994. Travel, Tourism and Hospitality Research: A Handbook for Managers and Researchers. 2nd ed. Wiley: London. , .
- 2006. Analysis of spending patterns of visitors of three World Cup cricket matches in South Africa. International Journal of Sport Tourism 10(3):211-221. , , .
- 2010. Saudi Arabia economics – BSF: inflation strain subsides. Available at http://www.susris.com/2010/12/07/saudi-arabia-economics-%E3%80%93-bsf-%E2%. (accessed 12 March 2012). , .
- 2007. To bring Gods's word to all people: the case of a religious theme-site. Tourism: an International Interdisciplinary Journal 55(1):39-50. , , .
- Statistics South Africa. 2012.Quarter 1 report, May 8 2012.
- 2006. Reflections on measuring recreation and travel spending. Journal of Travel Research 45:8-16. , .
- 2010. Religious and pilgrimage tourism. Issue 33. Available at http://www.destinationworld.info/newsletter/festure65.html. (accessed 12 March 2012). .
- The Economist. 2002. Meccanomics: profit from the prophet. Special report: the gulf. Available at http://www.economist.com/node/1033952. (accessed 12 March 2012).
- 2006.The economic impacts of tourism: a special issue. Journal of Travel Research 45:3-7. , .
- 2012. Why do South Africans Hunt? International Conference on Hunting for sustainability: Ecology, Economics and Society. Ciudad Real, Spain, 27 – 29 March 2012. , .
- 2000. Estimating and interpreting the local economic benefits of visitor spending: an explanation. Leisure Studies 19:95-118. , , .
- 1998. Religious tourism: economic value or an empty box? Zagreb international review of economics and business. Economics of Religion 1(1):83-94.
- 2002. Religion, tourisms and economics: a convenient symbiosis. Tourism Recreation Research 27(2):59-66.
- 1997. Estimating the economic impacts of tourism. Annals of Tourism Research 24, 592-608. .